Honda Shadow Forums banner

121 - 140 of 160 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,072 Posts
Been riding for 40 years. Never involved in a accident. Took the MSF training with a friend, tried the counter steer, long story short, I went down and broke a bone in my foot. The instructor told me I did something wrong. I just looked at him and hobbled off for medical care.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I did my book portion of the MSF yesterday (practical is next weekend), and did 20 miles for the first time ever on a bike. I'm absolutely hooked, it was incredible. Seeing this post was such a relief because not only did I have a lot of unanswered questions, but a lot of the stuff in this post I didn't even realize. I printed it out and have it stapled to my pre-ride checklist... Thanks again, you probably saved my life.

·
Registered
18 Posts
As a "newbie", I truly appreciate all the wisdom. Most of it I recognize from my PA learners permit book and my MSF book and course but the review doesn't hurt and some tips are new to me. I am old enough (65) to promise myself that I will not hit the streets until I am "one with my bike" and master of the parking lots. Thanks & God bless you all. Ride safe!

·
Registered
372 Posts
Great stuff. Thanks all.

As a 50 year rider, I offer a few tips.

That vehicle coming toward you will not hear your loud pipes, no matter how loud, so be aware of this and BE VISABLE.

Try never to be first at a light or if you are, STAY BACK.

ALWAYS wear helmet and safety glasses. ALWAYS, even if the law doesn't require you to. While crossing RR tracks once, I was hit in head with half brick released from from tractor dual tires. Good thing I had helmet and goggles! All of the stuff we hear about freedom and our right to wear or not wear helmets WOUD NOT HAVE SAVED MY HEAD, so please protect yourself and enjoy your freedom some other way.

Do not let anyone (car or bike) run close behind you.

Never ride side by side with another bike. Ride staggered and leave space.

Do not ride impaired!! We need absolutely all of our sharp reflexes to react promptly.

Think ahead. Look ahead. SLOW DOWN AT EVERY INTERSECTION.

Never enter any intersection without looking both ways. That oncoming vehicle might not stop.

Never wear black. Wear bright color always.

Be especially careful around senior drivers. Often, if they are driving slowly, they will ASSUME you are also riding as slowly as they. Note-This is not meant to hurt feelings of senior riders or drivers....as I am 73

THINK THINK THINK

Never adjust anything on bike while you are moving. Let it wait.

Secure your personal stuff. Don't be thinking about whether or not your wallet is secure while going down the road.

Jerry
'84 VT500C

·
Registered
87 Posts
Riding tips for new and experienced riders

When pulling up behind a car that is stopped keep the bike perpendicular to their rear bumper- not an angle.

This is so if another car rear ends you, the bike doesn't rotate sideways pinning you. Instead its more likely the bike will take the impact.

Of course it always helps to keep you right foot on the rear brake and your left hand holding the clutch in with the bike in first. Keep looking in the mirrors and if anything looks bad you can accelerate away quickly.

It's even more important to follow that last bit if you are the only vehicle stopped at a red light.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
My uncle, a rider of 50+ years, just gave me a simple and priceless bit of info.

"If you see anything that makes you consider slowing down, tap your rear brake enough to light up the brake light for a second or two (*We both have an RTB controller, so it flashes three times automatically*). This way, you give anybody behind you a heads-up that you might be doing something more."

A few hours later, I had it happen to me. I saw a deer in the ditch, about 1/4-mile up, a few seconds before the car in front of me. I tapped my brake and the vehicle behind me slowed. When the lead car SLAMMED their brakes (ABS chirps and everything), we were both prepared and had already started to slow down carefully, build a safety zone, and nobody was hurt.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Still waiting on my bike but I have been driving awhile especially in the country. I have a lot of friends (both with bikes and without) who come out from the city and don't know how to handle the back roads. Earlier in the thread somebody commented that us country folk ride in the middle of the road THIS IS FOR A REASON!!! More often than not there are some pretty bad potholes that throw cars around and even pull them off the road. Watch your speed and (if conditions allow) ride in the middle. Between wildlife and bad roads there are 10 to 15 wrecks a year out here (southwest of Huston) and that's just the bad ones. Long strait roads lull you into a sense of ease but goin 70 is only a great idea until something happens.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I haven't read the whole thread but if not posted yet I strongly suggest to read David L. Hough, Proficient Motorcycling: The Ultimate Guide to Riding Well.

·
Registered
337 Posts
One more thing to add. When you are backing out of a parking spot do not brake with your wheel in a turned position. You will go down straighten your wheel then brake.

·
Registered
740 Posts
One more thing to add. When you are backing out of a parking spot do not brake with your wheel in a turned position. You will go down straighten your wheel then brake.
Yeah think I get ya.

I've thought about fitting 2 LED lights to the rear of the luggage box that're white and have a little "beeper" fitted too for "fun" for when I'm reversing. I'm sure some people would think something like "since when do motorcycles have a reverse gear?" hahar. I'd just fit'em to a little switch on my bars :)

121 - 140 of 160 Posts