Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I understand nobody can give a definitive answer, but best guesses would be appreciated. I have to load my vt1100c into a 14' uhaul today with visions of you tube unsuccessful loading attempts dancing in my head. I've tried to envision a successful loading, but I'm left wondering what the optimal speed to hit the ramp might be. Got to get up the thing and be able to stop on the metal floor, with wet tires, before I hit the front wall of the truck box. What say you: 10 mph, 15?

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
Seems like most of the you tube fails were because they bottomed out at the top of the ramp just as the front wheel entered onto the truck. The best thing to do is make sure your ramps are pretty long so the ramps aren't at a steep angle. Back the truck into a ditch and use the ramps if possible. That will make the ramp almost level with the truck.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I understand nobody can give a definitive answer, but best guesses would be appreciated. I have to load my vt1100c into a 14' uhaul today with visions of you tube unsuccessful loading attempts dancing in my head. I've tried to envision a successful loading, but I'm left wondering what the optimal speed to hit the ramp might be. Got to get up the thing and be able to stop on the metal floor, with wet tires, before I hit the front wall of the truck box. What say you: 10 mph, 15?
I'm torn between suggesting that you put the mattresses on the ground or against the front wall of the truck box.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Seems like most of the you tube fails were because they bottomed out at the top of the ramp just as the front wheel entered onto the truck. The best thing to do is make sure your ramps are pretty long so the ramps aren't at a steep angle. Back the truck into a ditch and use the ramps if possible. That will make the ramp almost level with the truck.
Excellant +1....That's what I've done

·
Registered
18,126 Posts
MPH???
How about feet per minute as a goal???
Relax and do the best you can...
I`d place towel to dry tires at the beginning of the ramp too ;)
Ask for His protection...
I pray as I roll outta bed, before I start my day...

·
Registered
116 Posts
Push it up with 3-4 people

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
Metal floor? Wet tires? Eek! Stopping at ANY speed will be a sphincter-clenching exercise. At 15mph.......:-(

I have ridden an 1100 Shadow up a ramp and into the 8' bed of an F-250 successfully, but I don't think I'd even consider what you suggest without a ramp at least 10' long and 3' wide to avoid high-centering and allow a margin of error.

But it's way better to push it up. Find some friends. Getting it down is relatively easy if you have a wide enough ramp for your feet. Sit on it, put it in first gear (engine not running) and slip the clutch just enough to slowly back down.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Another vote for backing in a ditch or other suitable place to lower entrance to truck.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Metal floor? Wet tires? Eek! Stopping at ANY speed will be a sphincter-clenching exercise. At 15mph.......:-(

I have ridden an 1100 Shadow up a ramp and into the 8' bed of an F-250 successfully, but I don't think I'd even consider what you suggest without a ramp at least 10' long and 3' wide to avoid high-centering and allow a margin of error.

But it's way better to push it up. Find some friends. Getting it down is relatively easy if you have a wide enough ramp for your feet. Sit on it, put it in first gear (engine not running) and slip the clutch just enough to slowly back down.
All good suggestions from everyone, but...
I'm new to this area and don't have those kinds of friends, yet. I believe the ramp is prob about 10', but it is not any more than 2 1/2' wide. I've got to make a run for it and get it right the first time. I'm hoping that to get it down I can jockey it around in there to ride it out front first. I backed it down when I moved it down here with the help of a couple of strangers and it didn't bottom out where the ramp meets the bed, so it should be ok riding it up. It was easy loading it last time as it was at a regular uhaul facility. They nad a loading dock. Backed the truck up to it, and rode the bike off of that right into the box. This time I'm doing it at a Shell station that doubles as a uhaul rental station. Whoever had the idea to ask for a little help from above prob was onto something; trouble is he and I haven't been on speaking terms for many years. I'll certainly ring Him though and see if he answers.

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
Never RIDE it on any ramp that isnt wide enough for your feet, or usually 6ft wide.
Six FEET?! Hell, even a hopeful Hollywood starlet on the casting couch couldn't spread her legs that far. At 3' wide I feel like a cowboy just a-gettin off Old Paint.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
I never ride up, even the dirt bikes, I have 2 ramps, the bike running and I walk it up using the clutch the give the bike drive... I have done it heaps with the dirt bike so it seams easy (dirt bike to 4x4 ute has a steep ramp)

but maybe not for everyone as it can still go wrong but you control the speed, if you have an issue going up and need to roll back hit the kill and use the clutch as a brake (engine still in gear and let the clutch out to stop it rolling back)

but if you can get the ramp near level just role it on with 2 ramps (one to walk on)

Well that is how I do it :)

·
Premium Member
7,687 Posts
If making a local move, spend the $15.00 or so and rent their MC trailer along with the truck.
U-Haul motorcycle trailer-$26.00 a day here. One man loading and no injuries to you or the bike.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I ride up a loading ramp to load my Sabre in the back of my pickup. The ramp is wide enough to put my feet down (about 3'). I walk it up under power and have to stand up a bit at the top to keep the bike from bottoming out.

Of course the u-haul ramp will be narrower and probably slick... even without being wet. Loading with a buddy would be best. Back the ramp up to a curb if you can to make it more level. Take it slowly and be prepared to put your feet down if you can.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Six FEET?! Hell, even a hopeful Hollywood starlet on the casting couch couldn't spread her legs that far. At 3' wide I feel like a cowboy just a-gettin off Old Paint.
You ever put your feet down exactly next to your bike if its tipping over? No, you dont. Just saying.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well, it's loaded. Hit the ramp at 5-8 mph and backed off the throttle some when the front tire was on the box floor; had almost no speed when the rear was in the box. Easy stop, then strap it down, Easy breezy. Thanks for your ideas. Jon

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I rode the ramp in my early military days during a PCS move....thought it was a good idea since three of us couldn't get the bike up the ramp pushing it.
If you want your buddies rolling on the ground laughing try it. Oh and it's almost impossible to stop on the metal floor, but worry not the back wall will catch you causing more laughter.

Here's another vote for backing in a ditch or other suitable place to lower entrance to truck.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts