Honda Shadow Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
By carrying I mean a sidearm, handgun, pistol, whatever you may call it. I regularly ride while carrying my Springfield XD .40. I am a firm believer of the mantra, "I'd rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it."
I carry it both open (visible to everyone) and concealed (don't worry guys and gals, I'm legal both ways). I was just curious to see if anyone else does this, and what might be their mentality behind doing so. In the little over a year that I've been carrying, I've only had to draw my weapon once, thankfully didn't have to fire it. Note to self, if possible stay away from shady looking backroad gas stations where meth heads frequent.....

·
Registered
134 Posts
By carrying I mean a sidearm, handgun, pistol, whatever you may call it. I regularly ride while carrying my Springfield XD .40. I am a firm believer of the mantra, "I'd rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it."
I carry it both open (visible to everyone) and concealed (don't worry guys and gals, I'm legal both ways). I was just curious to see if anyone else does this, and what might be their mentality behind doing so. In the little over a year that I've been carrying, I've only had to draw my weapon once, thankfully didn't have to fire it. Note to self, if possible stay away from shady looking backroad gas stations where meth heads frequent.....
SgtRage, What state did you get the CHL permit in ? I live in TX and will be going to a class next Sat for my CHL with a few buddies of mine & one of their wives also. I presently have a Kimber Pro CDP II .45. I love that gun...but probably won't carry that on my person. I might look for something a bit more compact. I like your thought about having it vs. not !

·
Registered
33 Posts
Thank you for your post im a proud nra member who believes in carrying as well to avoid not having it when needed as well...Glock model 30 compact .45 acp for me

Remember a 9 mm and a 40 bullet may expand but a .45acp never shrinks

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
SgtRage, What state did you get the CHL permit in ? I live in TX and will be going to a class next Sat for my CHL with a few buddies of mine & one of their wives also. I presently have a Kimber Pro CDP II .45. I love that gun...but probably won't carry that on my person. I might look for something a bit more compact. I like your thought about having it vs. not !
I got my permit in VA. $55 at the County Courthouse, showed them my military ID, submitted my background check paperwork, and a week later I got a call from the County Clerk telling me my permit was ready to be picked up.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I got my permit in VA. $55 at the County Courthouse, showed them my military ID, submitted my background check paperwork, and a week later I got a call from the County Clerk telling me my permit was ready to be picked up.

Wow, that's cool you got it for so cheep & quick too. I know the class is an all-day thing and then paperwork gets sent down to Austin for processing. I hear it can take several months once you send off the paper work. :sad:

But hopefully I will have it by July.

here is what I was looking at to carry. It's not much smaller than the Kimber .... but I just don't want to take that around with me....It's just too nice of a gun. I want something that I won't care if it gets banged up or scratched.

http://www.hyattgunstore.com/springfield-armory-1911-a1-loaded-ultra-compact-.45-acp-pistol-3.5-barrel-fixed-night-sights-stainless-finish.html

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thats a nice piece right there. What kind of holster are you looking at? I like to carry with a Blackhawk Serpa belt holster when I ride. Holds the weapon with a death grip, but draws silky smooth. My everyday carry holster is a Galco leather number.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Here in good ol' OK it costs $100.00 to the state and $25.00 to the county sheriff. It's takes at least 3 months for the approval. Took the class 5 years ago and have never sent in the paper work.

·
Registered
139 Posts
**** yeah I was winston salem looking for a state park, went in a gas station to ask for directions came out had a couple of gangsters standin around my bike one sitting on it, that woulda prolly got ugly had I not had the my .380 hi-point I didnt have to pull it on them but they were being smartasses askin what id do if they took my bike for ride till they seen it on me then they left promply, so I learned to things that day never ride without my piece and stay the h*ll away from winston salem

·
Registered
134 Posts
Thats a nice piece right there. What kind of holster are you looking at? I like to carry with a Blackhawk Serpa belt holster when I ride. Holds the weapon with a death grip, but draws silky smooth. My everyday carry holster is a Galco leather number.

I'll look at holster...becuase I'll need one to carry. Right now I have a leather paddle holster.

I am totally against "riding while carrying", however I do fairly often carry while riding.
:???:???Thats weird ???:???:

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
I too carry concealed while riding, but could do either, as this is an open carry state (WA) Too many crazies out there tonot be prepared. WHAT I carry varies. Sometimes my Tanfoglio TA 90, (CZ clone) sometimes my Colt 1911. I am thinking of getting a S+W "J" model for summertime. -------Metalguy

·
Registered
263 Posts
I carry here in Washington state as well. I usually have a Kel-Tec P3AT .380 in a pocket. When I am in the cage I have a Taurus PT-111 9mm that is in Kalco holster. I also have a Glock 22 or HK USP 40 with Serpa Holsters, and other holsters to. I prefer the Serpa Holsters. Thats what we used at work, so going from a Triple Retention to the Double retention was a super easy transition.

·
Registered
673 Posts
**** yeah I was winston salem looking for a state park, went in a gas station to ask for directions came out had a couple of gangsters standin around my bike one sitting on it, that woulda prolly got ugly had I not had the my .380 hi-point I didnt have to pull it on them but they were being smartasses askin what id do if they took my bike for ride till they seen it on me then they left promply, so I learned to things that day never ride without my piece and stay the h*ll away from winston salem
They were afraid of the hi point blowing up if you pulled the trigger. Seriously, spend the money on a good gun, throw that one away.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I carry, XD40. I love my holster but an always looking for options. I use the SuperTuck Deluxe

SuperTuck Deluxe
I've been wanting one of those for my XD. Take a look at the Blackhawk Serpa, GREAT for open carry. Used one with my M9 issued sidearm in Iraq a few years ago, and I put that thing through it's paces. Jumping over stuff, running, climbing, etc. Pistol never moved till I told it to do so!

1 - 20 of 73 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.