Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm still struggling at times with my wife as a passenger. She's about 170lbs and we've riden out a few times before. We went out yesterday to the movies, the weather was just perfect. For some reason I was wobbly in traffic. Seemingly worse than last time. I was disappointed in myself. We caught rush hour traffic which I thought this will be good practice. But it was not fun. I have issues when the traffic is almost stopped... then goes 50ft and so on. Full stops I'm ok, its the under 10mph traffic that's challenging me. Will this just come in time? I've taken the wife out to empty parking lot just for practice before... looks like we'll be doing that again. FYI I'm just getting back into riding after about 20 yrs. Any advice?? Thx

·
Registered
691 Posts
What do you feel is different in the same situation with/ without her? Weight shift/ distribution, balance? Do you have the same issues without her? If not, it may be you own sense of worry about having her as a passenger. I ride night and day different when my wife is with me because I am responsible for her if I make a mistake but, not to the point my skills are affected.

You may be right that you need more practice at low speed with her as the two of you work out how to function together.

·
Premium Member
7,220 Posts
I've now got several thousand miles on 2-up in the last year. Last spring was the wife's initiation 2-up. The bike will have a lot heavier feel and slower response times, especially at low speeds. Practice, practice, practice. If you don't already, in low speed turns and maneuvers, a little throttle, the clutch slip zone, and a little rear brake, will aid you greatly.

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts
I'm still struggling at times with my wife as a passenger. She's about 170lbs and we've riden out a few times before. We went out yesterday to the movies, the weather was just perfect. For some reason I was wobbly in traffic. Seemingly worse than last time. I was disappointed in myself. We caught rush hour traffic which I thought this will be good practice. But it was not fun. I have issues when the traffic is almost stopped... then goes 50ft and so on. Full stops I'm ok, its the under 10mph traffic that's challenging me. Will this just come in time? I've taken the wife out to empty parking lot just for practice before... looks like we'll be doing that again. FYI I'm just getting back into riding after about 20 yrs. Any advice?? Thx
Check your rear tire pressure and maybe bump it up 2-3 lbs psi over the recommended Honda pressure and take the wife out for a ride in a parking lot again. Extra weight on the rear could cause the rear tire to get squirrely on you.

·
Registered
11,054 Posts
How much do you weigh? The load capacity for the Aero is 400 lbs and change. If you are 200-230 you're pushing the max.
Getting close to or slightly over max isn't the end of the world, but the suspension is meant to handle so much and is less than optimal when you push its' limits. That could be contributing to the issue.
That aside, you might really need to put some miles on without a passenger first.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the tips. I will keep on keeping on. I'll check tire pressure and shock settings as well. I'm only 135-140 so between me and the wife we are around 300lbs on the bike.

·
Registered
1995 VT1100C2
3,337 Posts
I had one light passenger maybe just over 100 lbs but she could almost make the bike change lanes. She tended to lean over a lot to talk or look around. Ask your wife to just follow your body motion and not move around a lot. She may be doing something especially at low speed maybe looking to see whats ahead.

G.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Does she know how to ride as a passenger? If she's moving around, especially when riding slow or when stopped you're gonna work extra hard at keeping upright. Except for moving her head around she should follow your lead. Sounds obvious but you'd be surprised.

POST EDIT: Just read the post above. Took the words right outta my mouth. ;-)

·
Registered
467 Posts
If you have enough road time solo proceed to the next step... try another bike with your passenger. If that doesn't correct the matter, try another wife. If that doesn't work get her a bike to ride with you. These are only a few possibilities... at first my special other, simply talked to much and it was a distraction. This was a problem that took some time and cunning to correct, but it worked. One most important things not to do is tell her she is a bit to heavy - a friend told this to his last girlfriend that had a wonderful personality. Not that there is anything wrong with being heavy - you simply never tell this to a woman. Oh, and as some become more of a senior citizen, your balance fades especially if your hearing starts to fade away = don't ask how I know.

·
Registered
26 Posts
If my wife hasn't been pillion for a while it initially feels very different but after 5 minutes or so I don't notice. At one time she rode pillion a lot of the time and she has ridden herself and so understands the process.
Probably just need to get more experience with your wife on the back?

·
Registered
16,554 Posts
Practice!

Ride two up often, discuss the movement, weight shift, and other problems you two are having...
Working as a team is important when riding Two Up...

·
Premium Member
7,220 Posts
Does she know how to ride as a passenger? If she's moving around, especially when riding slow or when stopped you're gonna work extra hard at keeping upright. Except for moving her head around she should follow your lead. Sounds obvious but you'd be surprised.

POST EDIT: Just read the post above. Took the words right outta my mouth. ;-)
+1. Passanger movements can really effect the control you are trying to achieve greatly. She can move the bike almost the same way as you can. She needs to follow your lead as stated above and not make any sudden movements while you are at slow speeds.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks again everyone. She enjoys riding with me which is important. I have no issues while riding solo. I will find a video highlighting passenger riding behaviors/affects and put in on her iPad. She is willing to learn some hand signals as well to help the traffic behind us. She says not until she's comfortable taking her hands off me while riding, which I agree.

·
Registered
06' VT1100C99' GL1500C Valkyrie
8,447 Posts
With the passenger sitting on the fender and the driver sitting on the motor with his feet stuck out in front of his hip position isn't a very good balancing act to begin with at low speeds. A standard

riding position is going to be better at passenger carrying. Just another factor of wanting to ride like you own a HD. :D

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I just adjusted the shocks. Its a 2005 and it was still at standard setting of 2 (1-5). Being that they are 10 yrs old, I moved up to 3, didn't feel much, went another turn to 4, wow now she definitely feels stiffer. I'll get the wife on next weekend and see how that goes but I think that is going to make a big difference. Out riding today and I can keep my feet on the pegs almost standing still. Its just been difficult with a passenger but hopefully with practice and a few bike adjustments we will be riding smooth all the time.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Went out with the wife today and came home during rush hour. The bike was a LOT more stable since adjusting the shocks... I still had trouble with the bumper to bumper traffic inching around. Not as much. Practice practice I guess is what I need.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I had one light passenger maybe just over 100 lbs but she could almost make the bike change lanes. She tended to lean over a lot to talk or look around. Ask your wife to just follow your body motion and not move around a lot. She may be doing something especially at low speed maybe looking to see whats ahead.

G.
I agree. There are some passengers who make it difficult to handle the bike, especially at at lower speeds. If she is leaning even slightly, it will definitely affect the bike's handling. She needs to stay behind you and lean with you in turns.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts