Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
2001 Honda Shadow 600 VLX
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2001 Shadow VLX 600. I need to replace the risers.
I wanted to figure out if anyone has, or knows if these will work fine.
My main question is if the bolts are a good size to go thru the holes on the tree or not...if theyre wide enough and long enough.
Thanks All

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Crap, well its the chrome spike risers on amazon. 1" bar size. 10mm screw but cant tell if its long enough to go thru the tree.

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This is the title on amazon:2 1/4" Spiked Chrome Motorcycle Handlebar Pullback Risers (1" Bar) Billet Handlebar Hand Bar Risers Riser Custom Billet HONDA YAMAHA KAWASAKI SUZUKI HARLEY DAVIDSON CRUISERS CHOPPERS HOGS Metric Motorcycle Bikes

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Correct those are the ones...would that bolt work on the shadow vlx600? Its a 10mm...ses the stock one is 12mm but more importantly is the new one going to be long enough?

· Registered
4,079 Posts
[spike bolt is a 10mm] ... the stock one is 12mm ....
Is 12mm the thickness of the stock bolt at the threaded portion or the unthreaded part? (see 2nd pic below)

Why you cannot get longer bolts that are long enough? The spike risers have 1¾-inch from its bottom to the centerline of the handlebars position (2¼" minus ½") by my math, and that's a lot of wiggle room to work with. Just measure the thickness of the upper bridge to get an approximation. Minus the thickness of the upper bridge from the length of the provided 2¾" spike bolt. The remainder is the length of the threads that will screw into the spike risers.

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Images arent working for some reason, but yea i suppose i could always find longer bolts if they happen to not be long enough. I hate that the stock risers bolts are all one peice. The reason i need new risers is because the end that had the nut on it snapped from being old so its not long enough to secure with a nut anymore and because its all one peice i cant just buy a new bolt.

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, pics working. Its the riser on far left, im actually not sure if its 12 at the thread or not. I only found out its 12mm from googling. I need to pull the old off the bike this weekend and check. But for sake of conversation, lets say the 12mm is the smooth section, what option would i have since the other is 10mm and seems itd be too loose inside the hole.

· Registered
4,079 Posts
12mm is close to ½-inch, otherwise you'd have to sleeve it. Don't know whether there's a sleeve available. The sleeve would have 1mm thick sides if the threaded portion is 10mm and 12mm for smooth section, which ain't likely available, or I guess use a simple shim if your mind is set on getting those spike risers. Another option would be to get a used oem riser since people discard them when they upgrade their risers, 600 risers are used on other shadows for crossreference.

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes i dont have a garage and the below 0 weather i just havent pulled them off yet but i def will. Im not stuck on those risers persay i just really dislike the look of others ive seen inc. Stock ones. And i have 9" zbars so i dont want any type of pullback ones wither. The spike ones looked the best and if it will work ill be happy but if not then ill have to find an alternative.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.