Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Road Runner Magazine's Feb issue features a series of tours in and around Bardstown Ky. This last week my wife and I were in Louisville for business and on a whim I decided to cage a portion of the tour route listed in the magazine on the way home. 20 degrees will do that to you..g

If you have the magazine it is Tour 2-Shamrock Tour. The route I took was slightly different than the complete loop, but the portion of the tour I wanted to comment on was the section from Mudraugh to Cloverport Ky. This route uses State Roads 1638 starting in Mudraugh to 228 to 144 whch ends up in Cloverport where I left the route.

If you look at the map it would appear as though you'll be running along scenic vistas of the Ohio River. True you'll get around 7 glimpses of the river perhaps two of which are nice and not overlooking rock quaries but the rest of the time you'll be riding along badly kept non-descript roads. There are some absolutely lovely parts of the state in the Bardstown area but this isn't it. A lot of the ride goes through some really ugly terrain and over some dangerous broken down sections of road.

This magazine generally seems to do a pretty good job but they dropped the ball IMHO on this one. So if you were thinking about doing this one, be forwarned. Oh and if you do decide to do it, the map is misleading in that 1638 runs into 448 for a while before you connect with 228, with no mention of that on the map.

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
Sometimes you have to take those recommendations with a grain of salt. A few years ago my wife and did a tour on the Goldwing along the Ohio side of the river, designated on most maps as a scenic route. It was....well, nice but not exactly awe-inspiring. Not to go all chauvinistic or anything, but with the exception of the Blue Ridge Parkway there's not much east of the Big Muddy that can compare with almost anywhere in the west, I think mostly because it's difficult in the east to get out of sight of civilization. And even the sainted BRP (my favorite road) isn't so much a scenic adventure as just a pleasant, spiritually uplifting ride.

And, no, I'm not a lifelong Californicator. I grew up in northern Ohio, went to college in southern Ohio and Vermont, and have travelled extensively in the east. Just my objective ( :roll: ) opinion.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts