Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Planning a road trip in March before the vacation rush. The trip will be about 1100 miles this will be the first on my new to me 07 VT 1100 Spirit.
How many miles have y'all ridden in one day, not looking to do an iron butt just a nice ride thru the hill of my home state Arkansas. This can take as much as 10 days or as little as 4

·
Registered
471 Posts
So far, the most I've done in one day was 250miles.
That was a mix of riding and stopping, it was fun!

·
Registered
17,972 Posts
Arriving early afternoon, We took 4 days to get 1700 miles to Sturgis in 2011...

The Hot tub felt very good after each days ride :D
Holiday Inn Express has breakfast & Hot tub :D

On these Road Trips, IF you`re Coming through/into southwest Georgia?
Open to members, Free rustic camping on the farm here ;)

Merry Christmas
Ann & Dennis

·
Banned
5,100 Posts
Planning a road trip in March before the vacation rush. The trip will be about 1100 miles this will be the first on my new to me 07 VT 1100 Spirit.
How many miles have y'all ridden in one day, not looking to do an iron butt just a nice ride thru the hill of my home state Arkansas. This can take as much as 10 days or as little as 4
sounds Great...

i'm looking forward to a Trip soon, i have the luggage and accessories for it.
just saving $$$$ and paying down debt right now.
i'll emerge a more mobile man soon .... :D

·
Registered
7,877 Posts
300 miles is an easy, comfortable day.

·
Registered
107 Posts
My record is a bit over 800 miles in one day on my three day ride from West Texas to Boston.

For your ride I'd recommend putting an average of 300 miles on your odometer every day but rarely ending up more than 150 miles from where you started that day. There will be plenty to see and it'd be a shame to finish it up in just 4 days. It would be a really nice 4 day trip, but I think you'd get a lot more out of it by slowing yourself down. At the same time you've got lots of fun roads to ride. Make a point of combing your state for interesting places and fun rides.

Check out Butler maps: Ozarks Map | Butler Motorcycle Maps
I've used their maps in a few states and find that the "2nd tier" roads are the most fun--less traffic but still plenty curvy.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
613 miles is my record, and I've put in similar daily miles on multiple occasions.

But that's when reaching my destination is the point of the trip and there's not a lot a spare time for side trips along on the way.

If I have the time to see the scenes etc., 300 miles per days is a much more enjoyable and relaxing pace. If your in no particular hurry, that's what I'd recommend.

·
Premium Member
1,897 Posts
I commuted to work a couple of times (nc to Atlanta). I think it's 330 miles. Not a bad ride by any means.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i know one thing for sure, my trip will be about comfort and enjoyment.
not about a race and to see how many miles i could endure.
If that means 250-350 miles a day so be it.

San Diego is about 360 miles ... doable comfortably i think.

Bobolto i am with you. Just making a road trip to my home town to see my older brouther and some friends that sill live there and still alive. Lol 300 to 350 sounds about right.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My record is a bit over 800 miles in one day on my three day ride from West Texas to Boston.

For your ride I'd recommend putting an average of 300 miles on your odometer every day but rarely ending up more than 150 miles from where you started that day. There will be plenty to see and it'd be a shame to finish it up in just 4 days. It would be a really nice 4 day trip, but I think you'd get a lot more out of it by slowing yourself down. At the same time you've got lots of fun roads to ride. Make a point of combing your state for interesting places and fun rides.

Check out Butler maps: Ozarks Map | Butler Motorcycle Maps
I've used their maps in a few states and find that the "2nd tier" roads are the most fun--less traffic but still plenty curvy.
Thanks for the heads up on the maps.

·
Registered
17,972 Posts
My "maiden voyage back into motorcycling" was 300 miles, I did this in 8 hours from Plains, GA to Winchester, TN, through Guntersville, mostly US highway 431 N....

That trip wasn`t bad on "an old man"...

Good Luck and Merry Christmas
Ann & Dennis

·
Registered
7,877 Posts
My "maiden voyage back into motorcycling" was 300 miles, I did this in 8 hours from Plains, GA to Winchester, TN, through Guntersville, mostly US highway 431 N....

Ann & Dennis

I've done part of that route!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Ann & Dennis
Thanks still got about 8 weeks toget ready

·
Banned
5,100 Posts
i know one thing for sure, my trip will be about comfort and enjoyment.
not about a race and to see how many miles i could endure.
If that means 250-350 miles a day so be it.

San Diego is about 360 miles ... doable comfortably i think.

Bobolto i am with you. Just making a road trip to my home town to see my older brouther and some friends that sill live there and still alive. Lol 300 to 350 sounds about right.
btw, when i say i am going to San Diego i mean that's the start, i would then like to ride north on the coast checking out towns along the way.
It would be like a month long trip and be like moving to Cali for awhile...
The ultimate goal would be to stay in Cali.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I've done as much as 750 but that was a long time ago and I really wanted to get there. Riding a bike is a lot like riding a bicycle in that it's something that should be worked up to. Start with a few day trips. You will probably see a thing or two you'll want to do to the bike too. A handy little pocket to stash a water bottle with your left hand.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts