Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Honda Shadow Spirit 750, i am moving for college, but i can save so much money on gas by riding my bike to visit family. The trip is around 400 miles and so I am wondering if i will be ok riding my bike back and forth every few months to visit the family?

· Registered
6 Posts
Road trip

I would think you would be okay. But you need to consider your riding experience, the road conditions, and your stamina. He may need to take a few shorter trips and build up to it if you haven't ridden that far before, but I know people that ride from northern to Southern California regularly and that's roughly about 350-400 miles. The bottom line is you can ride even further than that but it's about knowing your ability, because it is tiring.

· Registered
154 Posts
I prefer riding for about 5 hours a day but that being said, I have I ridden for 10 hours in a day before. It's really up to you, if you can handle it. Maybe pickup a few comfort items for your bike - nice seat (that's usually my downfall) a throttle lock so you can give your right hand a break. You could even get heated grips and such to make things more comfortable in the cooler mornings/evenings. I'd say give it a go and see how you do.

· Registered
1998 750 ACE
20,925 Posts
I have faith the 750 is capable of these trips of 400 miles in a day...
I am sure I can ride 8 hours straight, with stops every 150 miles for fuel and a short break, also...
I`ve done this, at 57 years of age, riding 1700 miles to Sturgis from Georgia in 3-1/2 days...

I`m sure a younger person can do it too...

Welcome to the forums...
Dennis

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks to all of you, i have taken longer rides, around 150-200 miles, but i think if i build up to riding hours at a time i should be fine. What type of seat do you think would be a good choice if i do decide to switch out for a more comfortable one? I know my uncle has a mustang seat which i know is comfortable but would that be an ideal seat or is there something different?

· Premium Member
2,129 Posts
Thanks to all of you, i have taken longer rides, around 150-200 miles, but i think if i build up to riding hours at a time i should be fine. What type of seat do you think would be a good choice if i do decide to switch out for a more comfortable one? I know my uncle has a mustang seat which i know is comfortable but would that be an ideal seat or is there something different?
There's a lot of choices for seats but the Mustang's seat platform seems to be the major favorite along with your Uncle. If you don't have a windshield installed on your bike, I would recommend that you do so for those long rides. Throttle locks come in handy during those longer trips letting you to lock the throttle grip so you can remove your right hand and give it a rest and flex your fingers, scratch your nose, etc. ;)

· Premium Member
3,352 Posts
Lots of good advice here, already.

Yes, you need to gradually work up to 400 mile trips, in my opinion.

After riding motorcycles since 1967, I can tell you a comfortable seat keeps long trips from being flatass miserable. Pun: intended.
Prefer Mustang seats, myself.
The ones with backrests. You can thank me, later.

And a windshield adds about 150 miles per day, to how many miles I'm comfortable with riding.
Will I ever own another bike without one? Nah.

Next area to address is foot position/ secondary foot placement. Important to have highway pegs, or some alternate place to rest your feet.

Again: just my opinion.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.