Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a 1989 Honda shadow 1100 and I’m trying to get it going. The engine spins smooth when I put a wrench on the crank bolt until I hit a certain spot on the rotation. It feels like it’s binding up on something. But it will spin through the spot with a little force. Any ideas what it could be?

·
Registered
2001 Valkyrie I/S
5,594 Posts
sounds like you hitting the compression stroke on one of the cylinder. Pull all four plugs and see how it spins then.

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
13,461 Posts
It may be the magnets on the alternator if there is little resistance to running it through. But I am not sure if it would only be one spot dragging on that.
A bent rod can feel weird like that too if the cylinder has had a hydraulic lock situation. Maybe a compression test would be good to do.
And you may be able to peek into a spark plug hole and see if each piston is coming up the same amount to TDC if it is visible. A plastic soda straw could be used as a TDC indicator tool.
One last guess.= Is the oil dipstick in good shape no broken off tip?
A few guys broke the dipstick in the gears when it was running, and the gears had a piece of metal lodged in the teeth.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks I will try some of y’alls suggestions when I get home tonight all the help is greatly appreciated I’ll update to see if anything worked

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I tried to do a compression test tonight but it’s weird it only will turn over one rotation with the starter but I can turn it over all day long with a wrench on the crack shaft. But With the Spark plugs out there is more Resistance in a certain spot then the rest and when I looked at the spark plugs one of them was damaged It almost looked like the piston smashed it. Maybe a bent rod?

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
If the electrode of the plug was damaged, you've also severely damaged a piston, and possibly a cylinder and head. Doesn't sound promising. Is it even the correct plug? Can you post a pic of the plug?

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
13,461 Posts
If there are metal particles on the spark plug, there may have been something ingested into the cylinder.
That could make a tight spot .
If it is just smashed flat maybe a rod bearing is loose and the piston is coming up too high.
Sorry but it sounds like bad news.

·
Registered
1999 Shadow 750 ACE VT750CD3
2,235 Posts
I'd guess it dropped a valve.
I think @oldguy's suggestion of an inexpensive USB inspection camera you can plug into your cell phone is a great plan.
They are dirt cheap these days and will really help determine what level of damage you are dealing with.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Could also just be a chunk of carbon build-up broke loose and bounced around in there for a while...

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
That plug doesn't look good at all. Let us know what you find with the borescope. It's a safe bet you have MAJOR problems in that cylinder.

·
Registered
2007 VT750DC Spirit - NHB01 Black
489 Posts
I would have already pulled the engine and had the heads off once I saw that plug. Bore scope or no, there are only a few conclusions to be drawn from a spark plug that looks like that and none of them are good.

My money is on a dropped valve.

·
Registered
1999 Shadow 750 ACE VT750CD3
2,235 Posts
The cranking behavior made me think dropped valve with it being pushed back up the guide by the piston.
With the way the outer plug electrode has been bent sideways and curved further reinforces that scenario too.

There is a certain suspense building here waiting for the bore scope and pictures or movie with the discovery of the situation, the kind of stuff that deserves an entertainment channel. (-;

Now seeing that plug I'd probably have sneaked away to the shed and gotten my hands oily too.

It is difficult to guess the level of damage, but even the best case scenario is going to require some parts buying and labor. )-:

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
13,461 Posts
Sorry to see that on such nice a Honda engine.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts