Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can running out of gas destroy the spark plugs?
ill explain
im a dumba$$...i didnt know the gas light dosent work on my 85 shadow and i ran it out of gas...cranked it over several times before the light bulb came on to check the gas. i filled er up and she wont start....

I have
-fresh charged battery (cranks over fast)
-fuel draining out of carb bowl when i open the valve
-fuel pump is great
i checked for spark by pulling the wires off and using a lawn mower spark plug (good spark) but i have to find a socket/grind one to get the spark plugs out to see what they look like. all stores are closed now and this is killing me lol

so what do you think?
thanks

·
Registered
3,476 Posts
no.

So you didn't know your low fuel light didn't work. What other electrical issues do you have that you dont know about yet?;)

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
exactly...i just bought it and they guy must have failed to mention it....im about to roll this heap off a cliff lol its been trouble since i bought it

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
could it be crap from the bottom of the gas tank that got into the carbs? how do you feel about seafoam?

·
Registered
12 Posts
sea foam works but if carb is stopped up u should be able to spray carb cleaner in breather and should run if not getting fuel from carb.just spray while an assistant cranks bike for you, just dont spray too much and have it setting in breather box good luck with prob.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
I know this may sound silly but make sure the kill switch is in the run position. The fuel pump doesn’t run otherwise. When you had it running, how did it sound? any hesitation or stalling with throttle? If so, the carbs could be gummed up. Does the inside of the tank have any rust visible and how does the fuel filter look?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I know this may sound silly but make sure the kill switch is in the run position. The fuel pump doesn’t run otherwise. When you had it running, how did it sound? any hesitation or stalling with throttle? If so, the carbs could be gummed up. Does the inside of the tank have any rust visible and how does the fuel filter look?
kill switch is in run position
it started up fine and i let it run to warm up while i put on my brain bucket and sunglasses went to take off and as i gave it gas it died...fired it up again, it started but died as soon as i hit the throttle.
no rust visible in the tank and the filter looks good, i do have gas in the carb bowl and i can smell gas when trying to start

·
Registered
3,476 Posts
exactly...i just bought it and they guy must have failed to mention it....im about to roll this heap off a cliff lol its been trouble since i bought it

You paid for it, its your fault, and its time for you to roll up your sleeves, perform all the scheduled and preventative maintenance that your new to you bike deserves.

If you having small electrical problems, big ones are very near behind. Go through your entire electrical system cleaning all connections and coating with ACF-50, or electrical insulating compound.

And seafoam will do nothing for a bike that wont run... If your carbs are the issue than you need to pull them and do a proper cleaning. (dont just pull off the bowls and jets and call them clean)

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You paid for it, its your fault, and its time for you to roll up your sleeves, perform all the scheduled and preventative maintenance that your new to you bike deserves.

If you having small electrical problems, big ones are very near behind. Go through your entire electrical system cleaning all connections and coating with ACF-50, or electrical insulating compound.

And seafoam will do nothing for a bike that wont run... If your carbs are the issue than you need to pull them and do a proper cleaning. (dont just pull off the bowls and jets and call them clean)
haha your right i need to just take a day off and dig into it....im trying to read about cleaning the carbs on it (never done it before) but i cant really find a step by step write up on it besides in the book i have...anyone come across one on tis site?

·
Registered
3,476 Posts
haha your right i need to just take a day off and dig into it....im trying to read about cleaning the carbs on it (never done it before) but i cant really find a step by step write up on it besides in the book i have...anyone come across one on tis site?

PM me if you have questions.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts