Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 88 vlx that I bought a couple months ago, after market pipes and cone for air filters. We went thought the carb gave them a cleaning and removed two 35 one 180 and one 185 jet. Replaced the with 135 / 40 jets. This helped alot. Idles now and the backfire is almost completely gone.
But still have an issue. Starts great runs well until she get to about 45 mph. Seems like it is running out of fuel. Play with it a bit, get to 55/60 mph. Runs fine again. Anyone have any idea? I'm empty.

·
Registered
11,790 Posts
I have a 88 vlx that I bought a couple months ago, after market pipes and cone for air filters. We went thought the carb gave them a cleaning and removed two 35 one 180 and one 185 jet. Replaced the with 135 / 40 jets. This helped alot. Idles now and the backfire is almost completely gone.
But still have an issue. Starts great runs well until she get to about 45 mph. Seems like it is running out of fuel. Play with it a bit, get to 55/60 mph. Runs fine again. Anyone have any idea? I'm empty.

If you really mean you replaced the 180 and 185 jets with 135 there is a problem.
Especially with aftermarket intake.
But Here is what the manual shows for your carbs.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
After messing with it for a couple days . I found the best to be a 185 in the front cly a 180 in the rear and up to a set of 42's Brought the air mix down to 2 1/4 turns out. Today she moves. No back fire, popping and no hesitation anywhere. The pods just force to much air for any thing less. Thank you for your info.

·
Registered
3,114 Posts
IMHO its not so much the pods force in air but they have less vacuum so your vacuum pistons are not opening enough so you have to put big jets in to compensate for them not opening fully, those 180/185's are big enough to drive an engine twice the size if the everything works right

I think the mains are supposed to be 115 and 40 idle jets

·
Registered
11,123 Posts
If your carb vent line is not correctly routed it can problems at speed like you are having. It should come out near the kickstand. I have to agree with Leathal about the loss of vacuum. Have you checked your sparkplugs? They will tell you a lot about how your engine is running.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
IMHO its not so much the pods force in air but they have less vacuum so your vacuum pistons are not opening enough so you have to put big jets in to compensate for them not opening fully, those 180/185's are big enough to drive an engine twice the size if the everything works right

I think the mains are supposed to be 115 and 40 idle jets
That makes sense, no vac. 115 / 40 is carbjet recommended, and did not work for this set up.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts