Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2000 honda 600 vlx . Runs great most of the time. Randomly spit and spudders while riding. Actually died yesterday after a rough bout. Like it runs out of gas. Not the issue. Then started and promptly dies then no power at all no light at all, about a min later, did turn off and back on a few times, lights came back on and ran perfect the last 3 miles home. Need ideas on what the issue can be.

·
Registered
2002 Honda Shadow VLX 600CD
18 Posts
Hope you don't mind me piggybacking this post, but I am having similar problems with my 2002. It also spits and sputters, usually under slow speed acceleration in 2nd or 3rd. My lights also flicker as well.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
WATT swifty said, but more a complete loop of both cables off the battery. So that's follow the ground to the engine case. Follow the red lead to the 30a fuse block, check the tightness and integrity at those points from the battery as well as cable to battery tightness at their posts.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Honda tucked the battery way back inside a tunnel on the VLX. This is one machine that should definitely get a AGM, no maintenance required, battery. Routinely checking water levels is not possible.

There's a ( low resolution) service manual available here: Shadow VLX 600 Service Manuals - VT600VLX.com

Not directly related to the issue, but if you haven't already taken a look at your stator connection with 3 yellow wires, it's a known problem point. Mine was crispy black and melted, but fortunately still working correctly when I got to it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Yes, the battery is a pain in the A to get to... But I think my problem may be more in the On-Off switch, or not. Sometimes I need to flip the switch on-off and bounce the bike up and down before it tries to start.

·
Registered
653 Posts
I think my problem may be more in the On-Off switch, or not. Sometimes I need to flip the switch on-off and bounce the bike up and down before it tries to start.
It appears to me that the Side Stand switch might be another candidate for suspicion. Here's a wiring diagram, isolating the ignition and starting system and the associated safety switches:

Rectangle Font Slope Schematic Parallel

Shorting Green/White at the Sidestand Switch connector to ground will bypass that switch, as far as the ICM is concerned. Using the Sidestand SAFELY while in this bypassed state will be your responsibility. That switch is a safety to prevent us from riding off with our sidestand down, which can be very unpleasant when one wants to make a left turn, and sometimes fatal.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thank you Axman. I will look into that... I did tow the bike 140 miles on the trailer with the stand down - I knew it should have been up, but.... -S

·
Registered
653 Posts
I realize that I had posted the diagram for the earlier, pre '98 VLX. I think the following is correct for your '02:

Rectangle Schematic Font Parallel Engineering

There's lots of candidates for loss of ignition system, listed from most likely to least likely, in my opinion:
- Interruption of power to the the main system, (Yellow on my diagram) like battery or ground connections, main fuse socket, etc. Power interruption in this zone will affect lighting, and be obvious during night riding.
- Interruption of power to ignition coils, (Red) via Engine Run ( aka "Stop" or "Kill") Switch, Ign Fuse socket, etc. Loss of power in this zone does not affect lighting I think. (The master schematic I'm working from is very pixelated and hard to read, there may be some indicator powered via the ignition circuit, I'm not sure.)
- Loss of ground signal to ICM, (Orange) via the Side Stand Switch or Clutch plus Neutral switches.
- Loss of Ignition Pulse Generator signal(s). (Blue) I think that losing one will cause misfire in one cylinder, and you'd need to lose both coils for total kill. However, this is a low level signal and vulnerable to high resistance connections. Wouldn't hurt to inspect the connector and give it a shot of contact cleaner.
- Loss of Power to ICM ( Green). Unlikely, but finding the ICM's connector, disconnecting, cleaning and reconnecting, is a good policy.

·
Registered
18 Posts
It seems if I toggle the stop/run switch on and off on the handlebar it seems to fire again - so maybe I need to replace that switch or crack it open and look at it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts