Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have been lurking for years soaking up all the awesome info. I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction with my bike. 2001 Shadow 750 Ace. Has cobra pipes and Jet kit.
It sat for a few months, so first I drained the fuel, put new in it with seafoam. No dice, still wouldn't try to fire.
Then I pulled the carbs, cleaned the jets and it would try to fire. Had a shop look at the floats to make sure they were set right. ran on front cylinder only.
Next pulled them again, stripped everything off the carbs(left them bolted together) soaked in Pinesol, cleaned, blew them out, used guitar string to clean out slow jet on rear cyl carb. Put everything back together with new float valve, o-rings etc. Ran Just like new!
Ran about 15 miles trying to work the carbs. let it sit for an hour or two.
Here's where my frustration really sets in: I fired it up drove about 2-3 miles and did one full throttle accelleration, as I came up to a stoplight, it stalled. I had to give it a good amount of gas to get it started and keep it running and realized that now the front cyl was not firing!
Limped back to the house on 1 cyl. Checked all the connections that I could think of, made sure the carb insulator clamps were tight. Now it starts and idles well(sputter occaisonally) When I ride it, if I keep it to 1/8-1/4 throttle it runs fairly smooth. any more throttle than that sputters, pops, no power. and I found some oil in the front pipe.
I ordered new slow jets, in case i screwed them up, plan to recheck the float levels, new carb insulators in case they are not sealing well.
Also the Sub air Filter assembly cover keeps popping loose, Could that be part of it? Fuel filter hasnt been changed but flows freely( I have one coming anyway)
I hate to ask questions about not starting/running/ carb issues because I know they have been posted to death. However I have searched those for hours, tried many solutions and Am Stuck. any and all advice will be welcomed and appreciated
Thanks
Adam

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Alright, I pulled the carbs again on a hunch that the floats were not set right. I set them again at 7mm from gasket surface to the bottom of the float. However the front float, just with light movement, makes contact with the top of the float chamber where the other one stops before making contact? mabey the spring inside the new float needle is bad? Anyway I checked the carb insulator boots, cant find any cracks or anything. jets were clear. put everything back together and went for a test ride... Same thing. Starts right up, idles fine, up to 1/8 or so throttle everything seems fine. Any more than that and it hesitates, runs rough. If I give it even more throttle its missing and surging. Rear Pipe is Dark purple at head, Front is a lighter blue at the head?

Any Ideas?

·
Premium Member
1,138 Posts
Adam, welcome to the site.

The float heights should be the same on both sides. You may be on to something with what you described. No way should the float be able to touch the top of the chamber.

Your symptoms sound like a lean condition. Have you checked the color of the plugs?

I tried the Pinesol dip over Christmas and had mixed results. I thought the slider pistons were sticking becasue of a huge dead band coming off idle. Turns out, it was the needles sticking in the tube. Pinesol did a fine job on the outside of the carbs, but I think it's soaking benifits are questionalble.

Dave

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Dave, I went through it again, double checked all the vacuum points, trimmed some hoses that looked like they might be cracked, put it all back together. And it fired right up and runs fine.. I'm not sure what it was, The band clamps still move slightly on the carb isolators, so I'll replace them when they come. I just hope it doesn't do this again. On the Plus Side.. I can pull the carbs out, apart, put everything back, with my eyes closed now after doing it a dozen times. I'm sure it was something super simple sitting right in front of my nose.

Little trick I learned: a little silicone lube or dab of oil around the inside of the insolators makes them pop right into place without having to resort to profanity.

Thanks again
Adam

1 - 5 of 5 Posts