Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I pulled my stock exhaust off today and found that i have a small hole in my frame from rust in a spot. I really don't like the idea of riding with a hole in the frame so i was thinking of welding it shut. It is about a quarter inch wide and and inch long so it's nothing super drastic. Does anyone know, will simply welding over it and grinding it down solve the problem. I guess a better question here is does anyone know how i can prevent this from happening in other spots. Its an old bike that was probably out in the elements for about 3 years. i've got most of the rust off, but there are some areas that are just impossible to reach. I don't want my frame rusting through itself in other spots so if anyone knows how to prevent rust after its already occurred that'd be awesome.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
I would suggest a close inspection to determine if it rusted from the inside or out. It could be a one-off issue or systemic. If the latter and rotting from the inside, better start routinely inspecting the entire frame yearly.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Frame is not heat treated or anything so grinding out the bad area and filling with weld is fine, but I would inspect the frame for other bad areas, best way to prevent future rusting would be to sandblast and paint or powdercoat the frame

·
Registered
325 Posts
Depending on how large the hole is after you clean out all the cancer you might want to patch it instead of trying to fill it. Find an appropriate size piece of pipe (see pic, sorry the best I could find) and cover the hole and weld around it. This will act as a bit of a gusset and give your repair a little more strength.

·
Registered
3,476 Posts
Where is it rusted? My wifes vt500 rusted from inside out at the swingarm pivot area.

Since it was rusted in that area I decided to replace the frame....

If it was simply a down tube area or something I would have patched it up, but there are simply too many forces in that area to fool around with.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Where is it rusted? My wifes vt500 rusted from inside out at the swingarm pivot area.

Since it was rusted in that area I decided to replace the frame....

If it was simply a down tube area or something I would have patched it up, but there are simply too many forces in that area to fool around with.

Its actually pretty close to there. I'll post a pic. Also how can i determine whether or not it rusted from the inside out?

·
Registered
3,476 Posts
Is there surface rust nearby the hole? Mine was just a hole with no visible surface rust, you could just poke metal away.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
there's rust all over my frame but nothing that's super serious as in eating through the metal except in this one spot.

·
Registered
3,476 Posts
I wouldn't ride it... If I were you I'd pull the frame and have it sand blasted. You can really do an assessment from there on whether or not it can be repaired.

If not your looking for a titled frame or you can swap the data plate (keep it quiet)

If your bike is an 83 or 84 you need those years frame, if you have an 85 and up you need that frame.

There are many small changes.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
so an 83 will match an 84? Idk that i want to replace it, i may just replace part of the frame. I don't want to pull the thing into a skeleton because until i found this i was almost done with my rebuild. I will if i have to but i'm going to college here in the fall and it'll push the completion date from about 3 weeks to until probably next season....

·
Registered
3,476 Posts
I think the decision is easy. Your frame is very vulnerable at that area as your swinger attaches there. You could go through the riding season recovering from injuries...

Replacing that part of the frame is going to take some major dis-assembly anyway unless you plan on doing it half assed.

Its really not that bad a job anyway, once you get the engine out and the wire harness off there isn't much else.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts