Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so i was trading i mechanic i know tattoo work for doing my carbs. hes worked on it before with no problems. this time, when i get it back, next day the air cleaner box falls off. i fix it. next week, fuel pump is hanging under bike, mount gone. i zip-tie it back in place, but it seems to be missing a screw from the center of the end opposite the fuel lines... so bike begins to die after running about a block or 2, each time its started cold; after a few min, it would start again and run ok. then, it decided it wouldnt: it will start and idle fine, sometimes rev with the throttle, if in neutral. if its in gear (and sometimes if in neutral), the engine dies as soon as i give it any throttle. choke seems to make no difference. i checked the plugs, and 2 of em had been replaced with generic auto plugs- and one of those still had the little threaded sleeve on the back, so the plug-wire was just resting on the plug! changed em all, to no avail. can anyone help? i need my bike for work!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Sounds like you need your carbs fixed...maybe could explain by finger tightened and forgotten...but the plugs???? Whatever he messed with, sounds to me like it needs gone over again.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah, he was fixing the carbs, but i highly suspect he sabotaged my ride in order to get more ink for free. and thinking id not notice the plug is kinda a slap in the face... im still hoping its something i can do myself, as im thoroughly broke.

·
Registered
403 Posts
another thought....although i don't have any experience with the 750's other than what i've read, is the fuel pump is starting to go out, or fuel pump relay. After fixing the obvious stuff if the problem persists i'd check into that. Possibly from being banged around from improper mounting it was damaged.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Definitely messed up the fuel system. Since it just happened, and he did decent work in the past, I would take it back and ask him to make it right.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I would give it some good thought before I took the bike back to him...I would think he might have a buddy that needed some better working parts, like a fuel pump, and just swap when no one was looking...

·
Registered
17,134 Posts
Remove the free ink.....WITH A BELT SANDER >>>>>>>>>>> OR a Torch used fer metal cutting...
OR a power saw...

I`d Check with him, and ask WTFW???
(Why the foul work???)

·
Registered
302 Posts
If your bike was set up OK before he worked on it and none of those problems were there before he worked on it, I might ask him like Capt D WTFW or just WTF, but not sure I'd let him take another crack at it. Sounds like really sloppy work.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks, fellas!

i believe the(/a) problem is the fuel pump... while calling around to locate/price one, a mechanic at a local shop mentioned that it'd very likely just be the pump's points, and that he could order in a points kit for about $45 (vs. $130 for pump), but that id have to open the pump assembly to get to said points... does this just mean id have to remove the plastic cover from the side opposite the fuel lines, or actually open the metal housing?

·
Registered
265 Posts
Ok, so i was trading i mechanic i know tattoo work for doing my carbs. hes worked on it before with no problems. this time, when i get it back, next day the air cleaner box falls off. i fix it. next week, fuel pump is hanging under bike, mount gone. i zip-tie it back in place, but it seems to be missing a screw from the center of the end opposite the fuel lines... so bike begins to die after running about a block or 2, each time its started cold; after a few min, it would start again and run ok. then, it decided it wouldnt: it will start and idle fine, sometimes rev with the throttle, if in neutral. if its in gear (and sometimes if in neutral), the engine dies as soon as i give it any throttle. choke seems to make no difference. i checked the plugs, and 2 of em had been replaced with generic auto plugs- and one of those still had the little threaded sleeve on the back, so the plug-wire was just resting on the plug! changed em all, to no avail. can anyone help? i need my bike for work!

So you're one of them people at the end of the world that will be knocking on my steel reinforced door asking for food? arnch'yuh...

Learn to swing a wrench, you know that handy little book that came with the bike labeled 'Owners manual', read through it and you'll learn something. :p.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I wouldn't rag on him for it. Some people just aren't comfortable with wrenching on things because 1) They're worried that their inexperience with what they're working on might get them killed (especially on 2 wheels) 2) They just aren't mechanically inclined, 3) they don't have the tools, or specialty tools for certain things 4) they're afraid that working to fix a problem they know little about will only make it worse and be even more costly to fix their mistakes + the original problem.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I wouldn't rag on him for it. Some people just aren't comfortable with wrenching on things because 1) They're worried that their inexperience with what they're working on might get them killed (especially on 2 wheels) 2) They just aren't mechanically inclined, 3) they don't have the tools, or specialty tools for certain things 4) they're afraid that working to fix a problem they know little about will only make it worse and be even more costly to fix their mistakes + the original problem.
I agree with this. At the same time you have to start learning stuff somewhere.

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
I'd double check to make sure the wheels don't fall off. That dude would not be on my welcome list.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So you're one of them people at the end of the world that will be knocking on my steel reinforced door asking for food? arnch'yuh...

Learn to swing a wrench, you know that handy little book that came with the bike labeled 'Owners manual', read through it and you'll learn something. :p.

first, sir, i've never owned a bike new enough to still have this 'handy little book' still with it.

second, im not lazy- just ignorant regarding the matter at hand. ive a very grease-stained and dog-eared haynes manual which has assisted my inexperienced ass greatly in the past, but not this time.

to go by your comparison, you seem to be implying that i am asking YOU, personally, to kum fix my bike for me. in fact, i was only asking any who read this, if they have knowledge which may be useful to me(and im sure others as well- isnt that the purpose of a forum such as this?), to share such knowledge at their convenience.

but thanks for your input as well.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Well said.

first, sir, i've never owned a bike new enough to still have this 'handy little book' still with it.

Second, im not lazy- just ignorant regarding the matter at hand. Ive a very grease-stained and dog-eared haynes manual which has assisted my inexperienced ass greatly in the past, but not this time.

To go by your comparison, you seem to be implying that i am asking you, personally, to kum fix my bike for me. In fact, i was only asking any who read this, if they have knowledge which may be useful to me(and im sure others as well- isnt that the purpose of a forum such as this?), to share such knowledge at their convenience.

But thanks for your input as well.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts