Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over on the Sabrehood website a fellow that works either for Honda or for a dealer said he just returned from a meeting at Honda Corporate where they announced that there will be no "08" Sabres, due to low sales. They did however say they will be producing parts and supporting owners for many years.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
When I was in my local Tucson dealer negotiating on the trade of my '06 1100 Spirit, I got quite a bit of resistance. They still had a brand new '05 Spirit on the floor that couldn't move at $7100 out the door. I asked what he thought was happening, and the dealer explained he saw the "middle cruiser" market -- in Tucson at any rate -- really soft. People looking for that kind of bike -- that is, not a dirt bike, not an ATV, not a sportbike and not a Wing -- were split: either they wanted a small commuter bike, or they wanted a "big" cruiser. That "middle" range -- right where the 1100 sits -- has gone soft.

What I don't know is whether this is a Tucson phenomenon, or just a Honda thing. Does anyone know if other makers' "middle range" cruisers are doing okay?

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
rmw said:
Over on the Sabrehood website a fellow that works either for Honda or for a dealer said he just returned from a meeting at Honda Corporate where they announced that there will be no "08" Sabres, due to low sales. They did however say they will be producing parts and supporting owners for many years.
I believe they are required to do this by law for ten years! (from the last model produced) then your on your own!
MarkC

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
Sabres are all over for sale. I think there are plenty of them out there if people are interested in them. Parts will be around for a long time and as MarkC mentioned, they have to make parts for 10 years by law for them, just like cars. Anyways, they make the VTX 1300 with those big fenders on them, which look about the same as the Sabre....did.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Well, I kinda agree, I know when I go for another cruiser, I'm going BIG, the jump between 750 to 1100 just isn't big enough, I'm going 1500+, Maybe a Honda, Maybe not. I've been looking at the 1600 Mean streaks and the 1700 Warrior and I really really want one. The VTX 1800 isn't bad, but it is more expensive, I guess I'll have to wait and see.

·
Registered
539 Posts
If I were to stay with Honda, I would go to a 1300 VTX. The 1800 is probably a fine bike but given the choice of a single pin 1300 and a dual pin 1800, I think the 1300 would suit me. That's why I wouldn't consider either of the 1100 offerings from Honda. They have that distintive bub,bub,bub,bub,bub sound that is signature Honda.

I have drooled over the 900 Vulcan Classic but I still like the style of the VTX. There are so many bikes out there that choosing one becomes the most difficult task when buying. Ie; Belt, shaft or chain.......carbs or F.I., 5 speed or 6, long fenders or short, etc, etc.

The shadows are basically Honda holding on to past technology. It wouldn't surprise me if the Shadow line itself met it demise in this decade. But for every bike that vanishes, there are 3 more to come along that are more advanced and just as pretty. :D

·
Registered
31 Posts
Wow, I have an 04 and I love it. I guess my trade in value just went to hell in a hand basket!!!! Bummer.

·
Registered
46 Posts
One thing Honda is very good at is keeping secrets. Whatever your friend may have heard is not info that came from Honda, and I would take it with a grain of salt. Honda keeps their info so secret, that even their dealers have no idea what they are working on until the dealer show in September. For years we have heard rumors that turned out to be just that...... rumors. The Turbo charged VTX1800. The FI VTX1300. The FI Shadows. The 2000cc VTX. The discontinuation of the VTX1800. The list goes on and on.

·
Registered
296 Posts
It is not a secret anymore. 07 is the last model year.
March 30, 2007 is the last day of production for the Sabre and Spirit.

Straight from the maker's mouths.

·
Banned
4,110 Posts
rmw said:
They'll support it for a good long time. There are lots of parts for lots of models dating back to the 80s. This is what happens to a bike that isn't kept up to date. But it's not *just* the sales numbers. Carbs and older style heads are the biggest issue getting "clean and green". This really shouldn't surprise anyone who keeps any eye at all on the marketplace and what the competitors are rolling out.

·
Banned
4,110 Posts
Jeff C said:
thats too bad, I had wanted to get a saber someday. this will convince me to buy a biger bike I guess
I've got an '06 going up for sale in the Spring. I can make you a killer deal on it.

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
Epic said:
Well, I kinda agree, I know when I go for another cruiser, I'm going BIG, the jump between 750 to 1100 just isn't big enough, I'm going 1500+, Maybe a Honda, Maybe not. I've been looking at the 1600 Mean streaks and the 1700 Warrior and I really really want one. The VTX 1800 isn't bad, but it is more expensive, I guess I'll have to wait and see.
This is why the "mid size" market is drying up, people just want bigger.

I can remember back in the day when 1100 was one of the biggest motors money could buy and everyone considered it way more than anyone could ever need.

Times they do change.

8)

·
Registered
236 Posts
rickbb said:
I can remember back in the day when 1100 was one of the biggest motors money could buy and everyone considered it way more than anyone could ever need.

Times they do change.

8)
I was just thinking the same thing. It is kind of strange to hear folks talk about an 1100 as too small. :shock:

People have criss-crossed this country on 250's, 500-750's, and (in the last 20 years) 1100's just fine. I understand the lure of the big displacement bikes (I breifly owned a Warrior & a primary riding buddy rides an X-1800). However, the percentage of people riding those bikes who have the skills or need to get the most out of them is very small. I guess that what I am saying is that lots of folks think the NEED a 1500+cc bike, but in reality they want a 1500+cc bike that looks cool and is "new technology". Very few of us (myself included in those who can't) have the skills to really safely maximize the potential of these machines. It is kind of like our brains. We only use a fraction of their potential.

Stepping off my soapbox, hey, its been a while since I got up on it.

·
Registered
590 Posts
kingham said:
rickbb said:

Times they do change.

8)
I was just thinking the same thing. It is kind of strange to hear folks talk about an 1100 as too small. :shock:

People have criss-crossed this country on 250's, 500-750's, and (in the last 20 years) 1100's just fine. I understand the lure of the big displacement bikes (I breifly owned a Warrior & a primary riding buddy rides an X-1800). However, the percentage of people riding those bikes who have the skills or need to get the most out of them is very small. I guess that what I am saying is that lots of folks think the NEED a 1500+cc bike, but in reality they want a 1500+cc bike that looks cool and is "new technology". Very few of us (myself included in those who can't) have the skills to really safely maximize the potential of these machines. It is kind of like our brains. We only use a fraction of their potential.

And a good "SOAP BOX" it is. :wink: My 1100 will do me fine for my type of riding, be it two up or single,be it 40 MPH or 85 MPH, 45-48 MPG works for me. :wink: Although, I would love a Valk, not for CC`s but for smoothness. :roll:

·
Registered
46 Posts
kingham said:
rickbb said:

Times they do change.

8)

So true. I see it daily on the VTXOA site. First it's folks asking if the VTX1300 has enough power for 2up long distance riding. Then you have the guy who asks which bike he should get for his first bike, and a bunch of guys will tell him ''Get the 1800 and don't look back''. It's crazy. A person with minimal skills has no business on a bike that weighs 750lbs. and has over 100HP. It boils down to the ''mine's bigger than yours'' mentality, and it is getting people killed. Shows like American chopper, and Biker buildoff have increased the demand for this mid life crisis purchase phenominon. Most of these guys think if they can lift it of of the kickstand, that they can control it. I've even seen guys (and gals) who can barely touch the ground. It scares the crap out of me.

Sorry, I had to borrow your soapbox for a minute. I'll hand it back now in the condition in which I got it.

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
kingham said:
rickbb said:

Times they do change.

8)

I wouldn't necessarily disagree with what you have to say. I wasn't any more likely to get to the full potential of my 1100 shadow than I am to reach the full potential of an 1800+ engine. I will say this however, the stratoliner is about twice as easy to handle as the shadow. It is better balanced, has a lower center of gravity and much better traction due I suspect, to the added weight. As an extra added bonus, I like being able to stretch out on the stratoliner. It makes me more comfortable for a longer period of time. What I'm trying to say is there is more to consider from a big cruiser than extra power. By the way, the extra power is :shock: :lol:

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The biggest shock to me when I got back into riding after a 30 year hiatus was when I heard people calling an 1100/1300 cc class bikes mid sized. When I quit riding a 750 was considered a very large bike and there were only a few bikes larger and they were huge.

Most of us cruised coast to coast on 450 to 650 cc bikes or thereabouts. Just absolutely nuts to me.

I do think that Honda is handing a portion of the market over to folks who are making 900-1200 class bikes. Personally I would have loved to have seen an 1100/1200 cc FI bagger but then I'm not a significant part of the market.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts