Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 Sabre 1100 and I need to know how difficult it is to pull the rear wheel off of the bike. This is the first bike I have owned with a drive shaft so it is new territory for me. The reason for pulling the wheel is to put on a new tire. The wheel doesn't bother me its the drive shaft I'm not sure about. I guess the real question is, is this something that requires special tools and best left to a shop or is it something i can do in my driveway. Any help would be great

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
you can do it in your driveway i have just make sure you lube the shaft when you put it back together

·
Registered
730 Posts
Hey All™,
If it's like the Spirit, you loosen three bolts, and it comes off. You'll spend more time actually getting the back of the bike off the ground than it takes taking the wheel off.

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
It fairly straight forward to remove the wheel once you get the bike jacked up high enough. The Saber fender hangs lower than the Spirit, so I assume you will need to go higher to roll the wheel out from under the bike.
Once you remove the brake rod and brake housing lever bolts, you will need to lossen the axle and pull it out. *On some bikes, you may need to move one of the mufflers out of the way to be able to pull the axle.
Once the axle is out, pull the wheel to the right (looking from the back of the bike) and drop the wheel down and out, simple as that! Sometimes the wheel seems to be stuck on the splines, so I usually use a rubber hammer to break it lose. Getting it out from under the bike can be tricky and sometimes letting the air out of the tire first will help the job go easier.
It's been mentioned before, but remember to grease the splines on the gear before installing the wheel back on the bike.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you tclemens,glenroberts and painterD for all the info this will definitely help. Letting the air out of the tire wont be a problem since the tire blew out on me while out for a ride. thats why I need a new tire

1 - 7 of 7 Posts