Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For Father's Day, my wife gave me the go-ahead to turn my '04 Sabre into a "bobber".

All of the parts appeared on my doorstep on Friday, and I started the build process today! Progress for today:

- seat assembled and put on bike
- rear signal lights replaced (though not connected yet)
- front signal lights replaced
- license plate holder installed
- paint ordered for the paint job

On the docket for tomorrow:
- connect signal lights to power
- remove everything from handlebars
- replace handlebars
- drill holes for tail light into fender

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
One of the changes I'd like to do (in phase two) is custom exhausts. However, I really dislike any of the options out there for the Sabre :-/ Any ideas on where to get information on custom exhausts? Or places that aren't mainstream (V&H, Cobra) that will make custom exhausts for the Sabre? I'm looking for something similar to V&H's Short Shots.

Thanks!

·
Registered
229 Posts
See now you're making me jealous... I've been trying to convince my wife that converting my Sabre to a bobber is worth the $$ it's going to take, but so far dumb things like the mortgage and car payments have been getting in the way.

Regarding the exhaust - your only option might be to go custom. There just isn't many options out there for the Shadow 1100's that isn't either Cobra or V&H. Not that there is anything wrong with either, I've got the longshots on mine, and although I want something shorter and sportier, if I go with a shorter pipe I'm going to sacrifice sound. The shorter and narrower the pipe, the higher pitch the exhaust.

Where did you order your parts from? The only place I've found that makes what I like is Blue Collar, but they are pricey to say the very least.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
My wife could care less what I do to my bikes. "Look hunny, I boght a motorcycle."
"Thats nice dear."
" Look hunny, I built a bobber out of my motorcycle."
"Thats nice dear"
"Hey hunny, Im thinking about pulling the engine out of a wrecked airplane and putting it in my bike."
"Thats nice dear."
Her Fu ks given: 0

·
Registered
167 Posts
Veeeerrrry interesting... in all honesty, I love the way my Sabre looks just the way it is - I replaced the handlebars, added a small windshield and maybe someday I'll extend the forks a couple inches, but thats it. But as a lover of all things Sabre, I'll be avidly following every detail of your making yours your own. Especially looking forward to seeing the front end after you remove the fork covers - bobber can't have shrouded forks, can it?

Thanks for bringing us along on your journey

·
Registered
229 Posts
Veeeerrrry interesting... in all honesty, I love the way my Sabre looks just the way it is - I replaced the handlebars, added a small windshield and maybe someday I'll extend the forks a couple inches, but thats it. But as a lover of all things Sabre, I'll be avidly following every detail of your making yours your own. Especially looking forward to seeing the front end after you remove the fork covers - bobber can't have shrouded forks, can it?

Thanks for bringing us along on your journey
I did that with mine - pulled the chrome fork covers and replaced with rubber gaiters. I have to say it really changes the look of the front end and is so much closer to that bobber/rat rod look I was after. If you're intending on doing this, just know that it is a real pain unless you have access to an actual lift.

Figured I'd also add - I ordered those from Amazon from Billet Proof Designs for about $20. I measured the forks and was going to go with the larger one, but went with the smaller 39MM gaiters instead. I'm glad I did - there is a small plastic/rubber ring at the bottom of where the chrome cover sits on the fork - these fit nearly 100% perfect with no need to shim or scrunch up for a tight fit.

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Where did you order your parts from? The only place I've found that makes what I like is Blue Collar, but they are pricey to say the very least.
They are from Blue Collar Bobbers - and while pricey are well worth it with how easy they were installed! Especially for a guy with very little mechanical experience and zero welding experience.

Today's work consisted of:
- connected the rear blinkers to power
- installed the rear fender bracket - only waiting on paint (that's two weeks out) to finish that
- removed the handlebar clutter and started planning the transition
- replaced the handlebars
- removed the windshield - I wasn't sure if I would like it or not, but I think it looks much better!

As for the shocks, I was tentatively planning something like that for phase two, but unsure how to go about it. Any advice/tips would be appreciated!

Except for the taillight, all lighting is finished. The taillight will be installed after the fender is painted and mounted. Now simply waiting for the new handlebar controls (which won't be on the handlebars) and grips, and things should be good to go. Hoping to have everything finished by the time paint gets here, so all I need to concentrate on will be painting.

Attachments

·
Registered
384 Posts
Every Wife loves a Bobber Bike...
1. They no longer have to ride on the back and be scared to death of what you are doing on the road...
2. Bobber means ya can't out any other bimbo's on the back of your bike either...
3. Watch for her to up your insurance so she gets PAID if you do anything exceptionally dumb because she Isn't on the back anymore...

Did I miss anything?? :D

·
Registered
229 Posts
As for the shocks, I was tentatively planning something like that for phase two, but unsure how to go about it. Any advice/tips would be appreciated!
You're going to have to figure out how to lift the front end 1-2ft in the air, and basically remove both forks from the upper and lower trees. It's an arduous process because 1) the fork covers have these rubber donut things keeping them from rattling, which also keep things from sliding out nice and 2) the angle and weight of the front wheel keeps friction working against you. Having a partner is nice so you can wiggle it out once you get the pinch bolts loosened. I ended up having to wedge something in the pinch gap there to give me even more wiggle room.

I ended up doing most of it myself and utilized a wooden dowel and mallet to smack the tops of the forks out, and it still took me the better part of 2-3 hours. It's deceptively simple, but it takes forever. I got help from a post over here - will add when I can find it.

It's a lot of work, but it makes a world of difference in the attitude of the bike, and was well worth it for me.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Ironsky!

Today was a rough day, fighting a migraine. So that means no (real) work on the bike today. I did, however, play a little and put the levers on the bar to see how they looked (I think it's going to be so cool!)

I do have a question - what do the little plug-ins on the levers do? Do I need them?

Attachments

·
Registered
11,790 Posts
One is the clutch switch and the other the front brake switch. A guy could do without them I guess, but you loose some function with starting in gear and the front brake lever turning on the brake light.

·
Registered
229 Posts
If you decide to do away with them, you might want to just permanently close the clutch switch circuit somewhere under the seat etc. so the bike "thinks" you've got the clutch in. I'm not 100% sure that the switch is open - but I'm pretty sure activating the switch closes the circuit. That way you don't loose functionality of that. You could always just run a jumper with two male terminals between them and see if it works, then just connect those wires somewhere around the neck before they get to the handlebars.

From a safety standpoint, I would not recommend doing away with the front brake switch though.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I already re-wired them :) Both were things I feel I should keep. Didn't get much else done today, too many migraines. I do have an ETA on the rest of the parts (early next week), so that will be nice.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm stoked to see someone doing almost exactly what I plan to do with my 2006 Sabre, that way I can see how well it works before I spend the cash!

I've been looking at Blue Collar Bobbers for several weeks now, but haven't pulled the trigger because I'm about to be gone for 6 months. The way yours looks in that side profile shot just gave me the validation I was looking for; I'm gonna start budgeting now so I can get mine done early next year.

I am planning on either a Z-bar or mini-apes for mine, not really a fan of the drag bar, personally. But, I figure that's ok, this is your bike, and mine is mine...

Can't wait to see it finished!

·
Registered
67 Posts
The clutch handle switch and the Transmission-in-Neutral switch provide the ground for the starter button so that one or the other has to be closed when you press the starter button to activate the relay.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok, next question: I am going keyless with this project! The ignition was easy; however, I am having a hard time with the gas cap. I don't want a locking gas cap - any ideas on how to replace the stock gas cap with a "custom" one?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
New question - how do I empty the gas tank? I'm doing prep work for painting today, and need the gas tank completely empty.

I already drained it, and took it off the bike, but there's still a little sloshing around in the tank. I didn't really pay attention to it this morning (still not fully awake) and washing out the tank when it hit me - I now have water, soap, and gas mixed in my tank and I don't know how to get all of it out.

Any help would be appreciated!!

·
Registered
11,790 Posts
1 - 20 of 27 Posts