Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but my bike is in storage and I'm not completely sure, but I believe my 05 Spirit 1100 came with the narrow wire brackets that will take saddle bags. Is this how they come stock? Do they take just about any appropriately sized bags and just tie to these bars? Thanks for any input.
I just started surfing my go-to shopping site, canadasmotorcycle.ca, thinking I might like to add saddle-bags this year. I have no idea where you guys find those ultra cool hard bags I see on some of the bike pics posted here or how much they cost, but would love to hear about those from members that have them. Thanks.

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
Looks like it already has the saddlebag brackets stock. (pic below). There are so many choices for Saddlebags you'll get many different answers here, but since you specifically asked about hard bags, the popular choices are Mutazu, Viking, Tsukayu, Hardstreet, Mustang, on and on. Generally speaking they are listed in order of cost and quality. You'll want EasyBrackets for hard bags though, so add those to the cost. There are other attachment methods that are more permanent. Those wire brackets are for soft bags. I personally own Kuryakyn bags and like them. They are more of a hybrid though...leatherlyke covered ABS hard bags. The problem there is it looks like they are getting out of the Saddlebag business, so I guess that's why they were so inexpensive.

MUTAZU Motorcycle Trunks
Motorcycle Saddlebags & Luggage Expert | Viking Motorcycle Bags
Tsukayu Fairing, Hard Saddlebags and Touring Trunk for Harley Davidson, HONDA, YAMAHA, SUZUKI, KAWASAKI, VICTORY
HARDSTREET SADDLEBAGS HOME PAGE

·
Registered
157 Posts
Sorry for being contrary but what comes stock and looks like saddlebag brackets, are not. Parts diagram call these "grab rails", but are too low to actually grab if you're the passenger. I've seen them used as brackets, but eventually the bags will start rubbing on the tire. This happens because they're too narrow and don't extend low enough.

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
Sorry for being contrary but what comes stock and looks like saddlebag brackets, are not. Parts diagram call these "grab rails"...
If that is their intended use it's a really bad design for many reasons. The after-market soft bag wire brackets are cheap enough, so it's neither here nor there considering the cost of the bags. I have a chrome set here I paid 15 bucks or so for.

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but my bike is in storage and I'm not completely sure, but I believe my 05 Spirit 1100 came with the narrow wire brackets that will take saddle bags. Is this how they come stock? Do they take just about any appropriately sized bags and just tie to these bars? Thanks for any input.
I just started surfing my go-to shopping site, canadasmotorcycle.ca, thinking I might like to add saddle-bags this year. I have no idea where you guys find those ultra cool hard bags I see on some of the bike pics posted here or how much they cost, but would love to hear about those from members that have them. Thanks.
Those so called "brackets" are installed to keep soft sided saddlebags from getting into the rear wheel and tire. They are not meant for mounting but could be used for a tie off point with leather/soft sided bags to keep them from flapping in the wind for the fender/seat over style bags. Look at my signature bike pic and you'll see that the bag yoke goes across the rear fender underneath the passenger seat.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I purchased to leather bags from Honda and there was brackets needed to mount. Nothing came stock. I got a good deal but most hondaLine parts are over priced and I would have gone aftermarket if not such a good deal.

·
Registered
99' Valkyrie/North Central Indiana
9,582 Posts
Leatherlyke hard bags come complete with their exclusive mounting hardware @ $450. Good quality soft bags (on sale) with Edge Brackets (locking quick detach) $300. I reccommend both as I have/had both w/o any issues. Edge Brackets are costly but allow you remove the bags in a matter of seconds.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Leatherlyke hard bags come complete with their exclusive mounting hardware @ $450. Good quality soft bags (on sale) with Edge Brackets (locking quick detach) $300. I reccommend both as I have/had both w/o any issues. Edge Brackets are costly but allow you remove the bags in a matter of seconds.
Where do you find Leatherlyke hard bags at his price? Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Good question, the brackets are for the stock saddlebags and additional sidewall support. it'll eventually sag and I had to replace mine after two years. If you want to get easy bolt on, pay the full price at the dealership. personally, I got Viking bags. you have to drill them yourself, but not a big deal for me. check them out here = Honda Shadow 1100 Aero Saddlebags. Genuine Hard and Leather Bags

·
Registered
392 Posts
Too bad you didn't ask this a month earlier...Kuryakyn was practically giving away their saddlebag line that they bought from Edge Leather. My buddy picked up a pair of real leather rigid bags for about $150 from cruisercustomizing.com. I would try to find some of those and see if anyone still has them on sale...might even try calling Kuryakyn directly.

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
Too bad you didn't ask this a month earlier...Kuryakyn was practically giving away their saddlebag line that they bought from Edge Leather.
Yeah, that was around black Friday. I got a set of those as well but I paid $130.

Kuryakyn Edge Leather Detachable Saddlebags- Model 108 (Lockable)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Just keep your eyes open and don't rush it. You will find a set of bags at a good deal. Sometimes it takes a while. But cheap bags are out there. I had to add a few rives to mine and fasteners. But all the brackets and leather bags for a good price.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Another note...go with a reputable company like Saddlemen etc. and stay away from the CHinese knock off crap like Viking Bags. And since saddlebags aren't really bike specific, check other forums, craigslist as well.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.