Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks - The last poster (sabre vs spirit question) is beginning to find out things the hard way. There's a large difference in options between the two. Something apparently they don't train sales reps to discuss to customers. I sure could use some help in finding some good saddle bags. Honda doesn't even offer them for the spirit. After market often has them for the Sabre but not the Spirit. I have a 2005 Spirit 1100. I would like the hard shell, but covered in leather or other fabric. I would do it the hard way if I found some bags I really liked, that is, make a bracket of some sort so they'd fit the Spirit. I sure would appreciate some photo's of yours if you have a Spirit, or any other info you might know. Am interested in both saddle bags and a sissy bar bag. Also, I would assume the lights have to be moved?

Thanks in advance to all---Bocco

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
bocco said:
Hi folks - The last poster (sabre vs spirit question) is beginning to find out things the hard way. There's a large difference in options between the two. Something apparently they don't train sales reps to discuss to customers. I sure could use some help in finding some good saddle bags. Honda doesn't even offer them for the spirit. After market often has them for the Sabre but not the Spirit. I have a 2005 Spirit 1100. I would like the hard shell, but covered in leather or other fabric. I would do it the hard way if I found some bags I really liked, that is, make a bracket of some sort so they'd fit the Spirit. I sure would appreciate some photo's of yours if you have a Spirit, or any other info you might know. Am interested in both saddle bags and a sissy bar bag. Also, I would assume the lights have to be moved?

Thanks in advance to all---Bocco

Hey Bocco,

It really depends on exactly what look you are going for...but I like the Leatherlyke offering. (Model 310 for your bike). You can see them in these picture on my 02 Spirit.

You can find them at www.leatherlyke.com. Sorry...I can't help you with the price of them...they are a little pricey...but reasonable when you look at the others.

Oh yeah...you will hae to relocate the turn signals with these bags...but they supply the bracket necessary to move them to your license plate. You just have to do the wiring. Let me know if you need help on that one...it has been covered in depth on several different websites.

One of the others are National Cycle. Sorry, I don't have that information handy.

About your comment...you are lucky if they train the sale people at all !!!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, leatherlyke were my first choice from another posting. I PM'd the guy and he seemed to like them. But then after doing a search on google, it came up with a guy who complained about his. He said they weren't very rugged. One of the locks broke, and the locks and latches would sometimes let go while riding and the lids would pop open. He reinforced his with some metal plates inside. Have you been happy with the quality? They look great. Also, wondering about the tank bib. Very nice. Here's the info on the guy having problems in case your curious:
........... have had some problems with my Leatherlyke bags . . . and overall am not real happy with them. However, I have elected to keep them and make some modifications...
I haven't been able to get his web address to work, but if you do a search on Google on leatherlyke, you'll see his text about the third or fourth down the page. The link works for some reason. Hope I haven't offended you with his poor review. He did think they were worth keeping and did some interesting work and added some design patterns to the lid. I like the Boss bags www.bossbags.com, but they are extremely expensive. Wonder if anyone has had experience with these?

Thanks, Bocco

·
Registered
198 Posts
Bocco,

I've had LeatherLyke's on our Spirit for over 3 years now with no problems at all. (Except when the wife laid the bike down and cracked one.)

The locks on mine have never come open unless I happened to not latch them... :oops:

Even when she laid it down they stayed locked!!! The only cracking occured on the back of the bag where the mounting studs go through.

I can carry 2 gallon jugs in each one if I need to. I even heard of someone carrying ice in one of theirs to have cold "beverages" while on the road.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
I have not experienced any problems with mine. Either with the latches or hinges. They have always stayed shut for me. My bags has been scratched up a little by the previous owner when he wrecked his bike...but I didn't see any cracks in the mounting (or anywhere else). I think you have to chalk this one up to "Some people are never happy".

Sorry, can't help you on the boss bags.

Joe

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone. This forum has proved its value once again. I was browsing around and came up on a pic and guess what he was using? I PM'd him, and asked him what his thoughts were. I also asked him if he'd feel comfortable locking his GPS in them. If you're curious, this is what he wrote:

"I love them. They are water tight and peering fingers secure. When I travel to an overnight at a hotel I pull them off or empty them of anything of value. During the day at a rally or restaurant don't give them a second thought. However, I wouldn't take my gps off in plain sight and then in plain sight put it into the bag- I would put it in my pocket. But then again I don't put myu valuables into my car trunk in the same parking lot that I will be leaving my car in- I stop a block or two away and do the "hiding" - but that is just me. Yes they can be torn off the bike but it would be very obvious and certainly more secure than leather.
Hope that helps- ps you will have to relocate your turn signals but it comes with directions and a full kit including wires and instructions.
Hope this helps.
Neil"

I think you all helped me decide to go with them. Thanks tons everybody. Wish I could fill the bags with some cold beers or sodas and share one or two... or six (hick) with you.
Bocco

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Being from Michigan...you won't have to worry about ice. You should be able to put a few more in.

Congrats on the decision. let us know if you have any questions about the installation. Those of us who have done it before will gladly answer any question...no matter how small or "silly".

Joe

·
Registered
1999 VT1100C2 A. C. E.
9,222 Posts
I've had my LeatherLykes since 1999 and love them. The only thing close to an issue is my fault -- one of the keyhole "covers" doesn't slide over the keyhole as quickly as it should. (I tend to leave the key in the lock at times and have managed to dent the opening a bit; nothing major, though.)

I wouldn't hesitate to get them again. Anybody who has problems with the latching is either closing them improperly or doesn't know how to pick up a wrench to tighten a loose nut.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts