Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ride a 1996 Honda Shadow ACE 1100 and want to upgrade from the stock seat. Am looking at the Saddlemen Explorer Special with the gel. Anyone have info about Saddlemen or do you prefer the Mustang seats. I like the profile of the Saddlemen more than the Mustang. What are your thoughts.

· Registered
284 Posts
I have the Mustang Wide Tour on my ACE T. It is the one piece vs. the two piece, both of which will fit. I bought the seat to go on a 95 Shadow VT1100 and put it on the T when I traded bikes. Both have there benefits. The one piece is not as wide so easier to put both feet down. It can also be shifted back and forth for more comfort. The two piece can also be used solo but since it bolts to the stock seat mounting brackets, it doesn't have the adjustment the one piece does. The T had a Saddleman on it when I bought it and after riding around on it for a while, it was no contest, the Mustang was a much better ride. I sold the Saddleman with the Shadow.

· Registered
462 Posts
I have had a Saddlemen Explorer, Corbin Stinger, and modded stock with Valkyrie pillion. I have found that my personal preference between the three is the modded stock with Valkyrie pillion.
The Saddlemen and the Corbin were too skinny in the front and put too much pressure on the ol pelvic bone. The Saddlemen gel seat holds heat when parked in the sun. Nice for Spring and fall but sucks in the summer! The Corbin was only a single seat and I use my bike to ride two up enough to want to go that way.
I have a brother who has a Mustang Wide on his 650 V-star and I have ridden it. If I had the $ to spend I would get a Mustang Wide in a minute. There is a reason that the used Mustangs cost twice what a Saddlemen does.

· Registered
399 Posts
Any chance you can sit on both/all the seats your considering? Buy what's comfortable for you and your legs. My bike came with a Saddleman, (see pix),
not very comfortable for long rides. I bought a previously owned one-piece Mustang seat for the occasional passanger(psst...ebay for under $160); very comfortable, but moves me forward slightly and takes away noticeable leg room. My seat of preference, is a Cobra solo saddle (they didn't make a two-up),
since no one around the house is nutty about riding like I am. Very comfortable, I sit back further, and no problems on those long rides. (I've read reviews of the Corbin solo saddle that it doesn't break in well.) Wanna read reviews by owners, go to crusiercustomizing.com, click on products, type in the brand and see what other riders say.

· Registered
1999 VT1100C2 A. C. E.
9,292 Posts
Got a deal on a Saddleman Explorer so that's what I've got. MUCH better than stock after a bit of break-in riding (about 400 miles or so); narrower at the front & seating position is a bit higher and more forward so it does feel quite different.

Can't make any comparisons to Mustang or Corbin.

· Registered
318 Posts
I bought a saddleman seat for my 750 ACE. The one with the driver's backrest. If you read under the "what mods do you regret" thread, you'll see that I posted my experience this seat. JC Whitney had an amazing price on these a while back. Ordered one, returned it because it was defective. Did this 4 times. Each was defective or missing a part. Every defect was different. After collecting defective seats, I was able to piece together a working seat with parts from all the defective ones. Returned it because I thought it was ugly, didn't fit the bike well (too small for the bike) and it wasn't confortable. The quality of my Mustang seat is lightyears ahead of the Saddlemen/Travelcade. Worth the extra money.

Plus, the people at Travelcade were real jerks to me. They acted like I was bothering them. They took my address and agreed to send me replacement parts for the defective seats, but the parts never showed up. Wouldn't return my calls. They were the worst!

· Registered
1,430 Posts
I've got the one piece Mustang, had it for almost 10 years now and like it. (Matter of fact I have to get it recovered). But I've never sat on a Saddlemen so can't say much for comparison. Try them both if you can, but you won't go wrong with the Mustang.
Sam

G

·
I found no break in problems with the Mustang Tourer, right out of the box it was far superior to the stock seat and statement the wife wholeheartedly agrees with

· Registered
668 Posts
Zman said:
I have had a Saddlemen Explorer, Corbin Stinger, and modded stock with Valkyrie pillion. I have found that my personal preference between the three is the modded stock with Valkyrie pillion.
The Saddlemen and the Corbin were too skinny in the front and put too much pressure on the ol pelvic bone. The Saddlemen gel seat holds heat when parked in the sun. Nice for Spring and fall but sucks in the summer! The Corbin was only a single seat and I use my bike to ride two up enough to want to go that way.
I have a brother who has a Mustang Wide on his 650 V-star and I have ridden it. If I had the $ to spend I would get a Mustang Wide in a minute. There is a reason that the used Mustangs cost twice what a Saddlemen does.
I hear ya there , i had a saddleman and a corbin stinger . i liked the corbin better but i needed two up so i bought the saddleman . it was hot as hell in the summer and we couldn't do more then about 30 mins on it . i got a stock seat and modded it and love it . it is much better then either . i also did the valk pillon mod and she loves it also .

· Banned
4,110 Posts
bamadrummer said:
I ride a 1996 Honda Shadow ACE 1100 and want to upgrade from the stock seat. Am looking at the Saddlemen Explorer Special with the gel. Anyone have info about Saddlemen or do you prefer the Mustang seats. I like the profile of the Saddlemen more than the Mustang. What are your thoughts.
I've never used the saddlemen seats. I have used two Mustang seats, and loved them both. The Mustang cups your butt nicely and provides more proper support than the stocker. The stocker seat on the Sabre curves my pelvis forward and promotes too much of a slouching seating position. I don't like it. Mustang = *joy*

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.