Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While sitting here watching Spike TV this morning and reading peoples posts about starting their bikes for the first time this year...and I had a thought.

Since you haven't been on the bike in a month or two...you need to take a few minutes to get ready mentally for the first ride. Do you remember how to make a turn safely? Do you remember how to make an emergency stop? Do you remember how to perform an emergency swerve? As I said before, you haven't ridden in a month or two and these are very important things to remember.

Bottom line is this...before you hit your favorite roads, spend a little extra time in the parking lot practicing the maneuvers that could save your life.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Thanks Joe..

Yep that's the first thing I am gonna do but its getting from Point A to Point B is the question. The parkin lot by my house, you cant get there unless you got on a business road.. but I do have a development which is a circle, same way in same way out. Not much of a busy development, suppose to be 25mph zone and the driveways are long so Maybe I could go around the block a few times. Also there is a culdesac too.. that would be a good turning point going around in a circle from left to right and then right to left.

What do ya think?

·
Registered
202 Posts
I find what helps me get back thinking riding is re-reading Proficient Motocycling and Street Strategies just before the season starts. It is good advice to get you thinking riding after a long lay off such as we get here in the North.
What were you watching on Spike to get you thinking this way?
Thanks for reminding us that we might be just a tad rusty the first time out.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Spirit_1100 said:
While sitting here watching Spike TV this morning and reading peoples posts about starting their bikes for the first time this year...and I had a thought.

Since you haven't been on the bike in a month or two...you need to take a few minutes to get ready mentally for the first ride. Do you remember how to make a turn safely? Do you remember how to make an emergency stop? Do you remember how to perform an emergency swerve? As I said before, you haven't ridden in a month or two and these are very important things to remember.

Bottom line is this...before you hit your favorite roads, spend a little extra time in the parking lot practicing the maneuvers that could save your life.
i PLAN ON PRACTICING slow and emergency maneuvers as soon as i can get out, because it will be likely too cold to ride long distances,for awhile.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Just as important is giving the bike a more thorough pre-ride inspection. Not just the T-Clocs thing (can't even remember what that stands for - tires, cables, levers, oil....?)

If the bike has been in storage, like mine (where the f*** is Spring already?), give it a VERY good once over. When getting back in riding frame of mind, the last thing you need is for the bike to make it more difficult...

- Dan

1 - 8 of 8 Posts