Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok...let me see if I can explain. I have the front and rear headpipes on. When I installed the back half of the pipes to the head pipes the top (rear headpipe)slides on like a glove and fits perfect to be clamped down. When I tried to install the back half of the bottom pipe it wont slide on the headpipe all the way for me to clamp it down. It gets to the last 1.5 inches and gets stuck. I tried to muscle it down a little but it just wont go. I hope that makes sense.

should I try heating up the pipe a little to see if it will slide on? maybe dremel it down a little? Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
If the upper and lower pipes are interchangable, try swapping them and see if the problem follows the tail pipe or the head pipe.
Call samson and get them to send you a replacement part for the defective one.

Or try a little lubrication and block of soft wood and a hammer, block of wood on the end of the tail pipe and see if you can knock it on......gently.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I tried swapping them. The tail pipes both fit on the top head pipe just fine. Its actually the bottom headpipe is slightly too big for the tailpipe to slide over. I bought the pipes from a private seller so the warantee isnt good anymore.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I really dont want to spend $80 on a tool I will only use once. I sent an email to Samson to see what their thoughts are.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I had a similar problem on my old 85 VT1100. I took the exhaust to a local muffler shop and they expanded the tail pipe to fit over the header. Took 5 mins, cost $10.

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
You can get the tailpipe expander for a lot less at Advance Auto or most auto parts stores.

It may crack the chrome, I would try the lube or heat first just might be it needs a little 'encouragement'.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the help guys. Im going to try some lube and heat. If that doesnt work I might try the muffler shop. I gotta get these bad boys on...its suppose to be 65 degrees friday.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Samson Cannon Install Problem

You say that you can get the pipe started,...what about the old elbow grease theory, take some metal sand paper to the male end and again some metal sand paper to the inner of the female end and try and take down the metal just enough to slide the pipe on,...sanding down the inner and outer from both ends, if you were able to get it down 1/40th of an inch you may be in business, sand paper cheap! be careful and stay away from the chrome!
dave :)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yeah I can get the pipe on quite a bit before it stops. Its just got a little ways yo go but its damn tight at the end.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the help guys. Finally got em on. I sanded down the inside of the tailpipe and the outside of the headpipe. Heated it up...little lube...and she slit right on. Samson said that sometimes the get over chromed and do that. The even offered to send me another one. Heres a pic

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
I would take them up on the offer for a replacement part. Sanding on the parts will create bare metal that will rust...especially with the heat cycles that pipes normally see. Ride with these until the new ones come though. And enjoy the new sound.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yeah I probably will take them up on the offer. The only part that had bare metal was the inside of the tailpipe and Im not too worried about that. But hey...if they are offering to replace it why not...

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
KCSabre said:
yeah I probably will take them up on the offer. The only part that had bare metal was the inside of the tailpipe and Im not too worried about that. But hey...if they are offering to replace it why not...
The problem though is when the rust starts eating its way under the chrome, it will bubble it up and start flaking it off.

Just don't want you to be unhappy down the road.

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
Pipes look great on that bike, I have the same (or similar on my Spirit) but I think they look much better on a long rear fender like your bike.
Glad it worked out for you, they sound awesome, especially on hard deceleration.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I love the look of the pipes...makes it look like a totally different bike. It was pretty late last night so I only got to start it for a second to hear it......definitely loud enough. Im taking it out for a ride after work if it isnt raining....its suppose to be about 60 degrees.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts