Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since John (Sanoke) is on sabbatical from taking pictures, I thought this would be a good opportunity (while waiting out winter) for some of us to submit our best "Sanoke-worthy" pictures. I know there are some good pictures out there…….

Perhaps John or others with photographic expertise or experience would be willing to take Simon’s role and offer some "pearls of wisdom" to increase our picture-taking abilities.

The idea would be to help those of us who are photographically challenged (or clueless like me) with our picture taking endeavors in the future.

Rules are simple:
–if you post to this thread it should include a picture with a motorcycle -Sanoke-style - or a thoughtful critique for improving someones picture (good and bad).
-pictures should have a descriptive title, and camera type used – if known.
-a brief description about the picture either where, when, how - would be nice
-or what you believe you could have done to make it a better picture-given your knowledge or limitation of the camera.

I suspect this thread may have potential for being deleted due to motorcycle related – no worries, just trying to bring some diversity and all pictures should include a motorcycle.

Here is my first attempt:
Title: “Down Hill Through Brown Hills”
Camera: Cannon A-530
Description : Top of Crown Ridge Road between Lake Wanakee and Queenstown, NZ – amazing road!
What I could have done better: Brought the camera to a more parallel level (lower) with the bike, and stood farther back?????? Shade from the bike detracts too????

·
Registered
859 Posts
Ok, here are my sanokian picts.
Ol Reliable out to pasture.
HP Photosmart M415
I am a Jeep nut from way back and this old Willys P'up in Glenrio caught my eye. It was a wrecker at one one time. The old truck probably helped out a score of broke down and stuck travellers of Route 66 in its day. Now it is spending it's retirement years along the side of the retired highway.
Don't know much about photography, I just point, click and hope I didn't take a picture of my thumb.

·
Registered
942 Posts
A spot along Heckser drive, same place signature picture was taken

·
Registered
284 Posts

Seneca Lake in the heart of the Finger Lakes wine country. Glenora is in the background.

Obviously, Watkins Glen race track in my sig. :)

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
First off, I want to say I'm really flattered by what you said. Secondly, I'm not a professsional and I've had no formal training in photography. So, having said that, I would be happy to offer suggestions but take them as coming from someone who just enjoys taking pictures and not someone who is any kind of authority on the subject.

I really like the pictures posted so far. My main suggestion would be to not make the bike such a large part of the picture. I think PainterD did it quite well. Let the scene show thru and add the bike as a signiture or a reminder of how you got there. The other comment is that I would frame the image (or crop the picture) so there is less of the road showing. cbjr0256, you have a really beautiful scene there with the clouds and such, the fairly large section of gravel road at the bottom kind of detracts from that. I would crop the picture just below the shadow behind your rear wheel. The same is true with cycleheart1100c. I'd crop that one just below the rear wheel of the bike on the right.

Please keep em coming!

sanoke

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
Ok, I'll bite. Here is one from last fall. I know it's a re-run but haven't gotten out as much as I wanted.

Taken in front of the old barn on the E.M. Holt home place, now the county history musuem. Cannon A80 dig cam, my "snap shot" camera. Normally I use manual Nikon 35mm film cameras, but they don't do well in the bike's saddle bags.

Unless you want to see my hiking pics from Scotland :D

·
Registered
204 Posts
Ok, I don't have any pictures of my bike on my laptop so I can't add one here. I've been in Germany for the last 3 weeks for work and I didn't ride my the bike here from NC. :lol: :lol: I do have a picture that might be of interest however. I'm hanging onto what's left of the Berlin Wall. At one time it was a 150 km long wall and now it's only about 300 ft long. Berlin was cool to visit. I know nothing of the camera, my coworker took the picture.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Here are 2 from me... I can't decide which one is better so he are both... lol

Title: Forest
Camera: Olympus D-540
Description : Forest in Pennsylvania taken last summer
What I could have done better: If i knew about HDR technology, i would have use that to my advantage

·
Registered
119 Posts
Here's the only one I have that's worthy of Sanoke - its from my bike trip through the Grand Tetons last June:

Enjoy!

·
Registered
622 Posts

May 2006. I rented a Goldwing in San Deigo, and found this scene on the Great Southern Overland Route of 1849 in the Anza-Borrego Desert State Park in So Cal.

Sanoke inspiration: The only man-made thing in the scene is the motorcycle.

Bruce

·
Registered
5,810 Posts
This shot is one of my favorites. Michigan's thumb looking north over the Saginaw Bay. Definetly for the good time that it represents, and not for the composition because it breaks most of the basic comp rules.
I'm not a photographer but I have worked with them enough to know a little.

Interesting pics are shot from interesting perspectives, get low or up high. ALWAYS try to avoid putting the horizon exactly in the center of your shot.
What's the main focus of your shot?? The background? The foreground? Pick one and highlight it, the rest is just filler. You want your viewers eye drawn to the main subject.

This pic is just a snapshot. It's way to busy, the horizon is just about dead center of the vertical, and I should have found a saw and cut that damn tree in the middle down.
It probably would have been way better shot from down low.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Taken on 9-25-2004

New Hampshire Rt. 2

Leaf Peepin'

Taken with a Canon A-70

Rest stop for scenery during the New England 1000 run with (bikes in order) -D-, Dan, and myself. I haven't seen a post from either in a LONG time....

·
Registered
213 Posts

California redwoods - '06 West Coast trip

1 - 20 of 40 Posts