Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just found out I have to be in Orcutt Saturday afternoon. I’ll be going on the bike so 5hrs each way plus 4-5 hrs taking care of business makes for a long day. Making a weekend out of it and spending the night make more sense. So I would like know if anyone has done any tent camping which would be fun, or a reasonable priced motel in the area. And most important where’s the best food.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I've M/C tent camped in several locations in the area. Sounds like you want to tent camp for the night then ride up PCH next day . I'd say San Simeon State Park is a good place for you.
I've camped:
As mentioned San Simeon State Park , food close by.
Morro Bay, The Strands State Park, first come first serve, fills up fast on Friday
Pismo Beach State Beach, best have a reservation for that one
Los Osos, Montana de Oro State Park, another reservation place
Aliso Park National Forest camp FREE, turn off a couple miles before New Cuyama on Ca. 166 . And you'd best love peace,quiet and starry nights.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
I just found out I have to be in Orcutt Saturday afternoon. I’ll be going on the bike so 5hrs each way plus 4-5 hrs taking care of business makes for a long day. Making a weekend out of it and spending the night make more sense. So I would like know if anyone has done any tent camping which would be fun, or a reasonable priced motel in the area. And most important where’s the best food.
I am guessing you are leaving Saturday morning and returning Sunday.
You know,,, "IF",it were me, I would leave at 5 am. Head over to 35 and
highball all the way to seaside. Have a light breakfast and no coffee, just water.

Then I would continue down the coast during daylight. You can stop
plenty of times to take pictures and rest the ole bum. You'll still make
it to Orcutt before noon.

Here's my trip to Paso Robles;

Left home bout 5am met up with cousin in Tracy, dilly dallied around for
what seemed forever waiting for him to get ready and then arrive in
San Jose at 8am in a café well known to you and I, where we have
breakfast and meet up with Gary (ex owner of tKT).

Then the 3 of us spur our wings hard in the side to make it to and down
the coast, where we treated the PCH as though we were from Japan.

Believe me, we stopped at every pullout that was large enough for
3 wings to lean on their KS's.

We arrived at Big Bubba's BBQ in PR and was ordering lunch by 2pm.
So, Dusty, what ever you decide to take and what ever time you leave
Have a good safe ride. Remember, PLENTY of water.
Coffee will dehydrate you and you won't realize it.
AND, "Oldman" is the expert on tent camping ;)

Hate to post and run, but I am putting on the new tires and brake shoes.
And would like to get done before it reaches 100*

·
Registered
131 Posts
+1 On the Hitching Post.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
These steak houses have to be good I posted the same question on another forum, both the Hitching post and Jocko’s came up a few times.:-D Spending the night: I might have to check out Priceline but I would like to tent it so thank you for the list of local camping. The last time I got away with a tent was 2006, that has to be breaking some kind of law.
Ashadowrider I might have to wait until 6am before I can get out of town. Even at 7am some morning the precious fog :x has been so thick you can hardly see the end of the driveway. Hwy 1 versus 101 only adds 1 hour I might come back that way when there is nothing to be late for. But you know I’m camera shy I can’t promise pictures.:oops:

·
Registered
94 Posts
Had a real good steak at McClintock's on PCH, then stayed at the Lake Santa Margarita KOA, and then headed east on Hwy 58, what a great surprise that road was, never even seen any traffic all the way to I-5.
Have a great trip!

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Ashadowrider I might have to wait until 6am before I can get out of town. Even at 7am some morning the precious fog :x has been so thick you can hardly see the end of the driveway. But you know I’m camera shy I can’t promise pictures.:oops:
Oh my Bowlbug, this is 70mph fog.

And YOU need to get over this fear of camera's. Watch this doc; or you can
rent it on netflix for the whole enchilada;
P.S. I hope your trip was a good one. Frank.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Yes I could have got out of here sooner, but 6am was early enough for my tired old caboose. Took my time strolled down 280 to 101 No fog to speak of just overcast. I thought I was out of the gray and found sunshine around Bradley I’m thinking yahooooo. By the time I got to Atascadero It was overcast again. In Santa Maria got business out of the way as fast as possible then my daughter hit the town. We spent a lot of time getting lost, we knew where we wanted to go just didn’t know how to get there and having to much fun looking around to change that. I finally did buy a map which made finding are stops easier. We ate, miniature golf, explored and spent time just walking and talking even took a ride to Pismo Beach. The ride back was very windy and heavy traffic in some areas. All said and done it was a GREAT weekend. Sorry Ashadowrider took the camera but only got a couple of pic’s ill post some when I get them downloaded. I didn't get to download any last night I ended to come home and posting all three bike for sale.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Sorry Ashadowrider took the camera but only got a couple of pic’s ill post some when I get them downloaded. I didn't get to download any last night I ended to come home and posting all three bike for sale.
I did not really expect any pictures. Just glad ya had a great ride and a great time with the daughter.
Sad to see ya selling off the stable. But in all reality it would probably be cheaper for you to rent a bike when ya wanted to go for a ride. I am seriously considering selling both mine and then renting one to ride.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well...I'm hoping the 99 magna is the last one standing then I will keep her. :D:D But the Vtx has to go, the two magna will not cover the bill. Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Well...I'm hoping the 99 magna is the last one standing then I will keep her. :D:D But the TX has to go, the two Maegan will not cover the bill. Fingers crossed.
Dusty I read your CL ads and they are a tad confusing. ( I am old and senile too). I didn't notice the price for the VTX, are you selling both bikes for $3000? I don't think so, but I get that impression.
If it were me selling them I would separate the bikes so that each has their own ad.
Then I would take a video and do a walk around. A nice sounding video helps a lot.
Take plenty of pictures link them on photo bucket.
Maybe even list them on HSN. Even though we all have bikes, we might know someone who is looking for a bike.
I do have a buddy looking for a bike like the 2002 VTX 1800 , could you do a seperate listing on the VTX? With a video? and price? and send me the link? Also because I know you are a busy guy, are your weekends open for showing the bikes?
Ok, I found the seperate listing for the VTX, sorry. I will pass it on to my buddy.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes I the listing for each bike but they all direct you to each other. I do have some pictures, but a video is beyond my pee brain capability plus no equipment to attempt something like that. I’m happy when I can open mail on this thing. Now weekends…my trips to Grass Valley have recently been redirected to Santa Maria. So for now I’m home most evenings and weekend mornings (until 3pm) for now, that could change with only a day or two notice. I think you should have my number? If your friend is interested The VTX has a full tank maybe an early ride your way or part way could be made this weekend.:-D

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
My buddy's priority's have changed. He liked the bike and it was exactly what he "was" looking for. But the dummy got engaged and they are trying to buy a house now.
I tried to explain to him that IF he buys a house, that in itself is worse than getting married. He will no longer have a life of his own. (if my house see's me posting this I will be re roofing sooner than I thought).

I wish I had a friend like me on my wedding day. As I told my best man that if he got a bike we could just take off and tour the country. When he laughed at me, I should have dumped him along with my first wife.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Getting married or buying a house, I don’t know which will cost him the most. ;-) There both right up there with taxes. :shock: I think you should just him a piggy bank as a wedding present so he can save up for that can of beer on the weekend. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
I think you should just him a piggy bank as a wedding present so he can save up for that can of beer on the weekend. :mrgreen:
He ain't gonna need no piggy bank. The company he works for (& I used to work for) will be laying everyone off, for at least the next 3 years.
But they did tell me I could come back and use the shop anytime.
So, I am thinking I want to build a small tear drop trailer. I don't know why though?

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sorry to hear about the lay offs. :mad: Hope he make ends meet, maybe some side jobs.
It is nice they have offered the use of there shop. That would get you out of the house and save some gas money but, I thought you gave up on the trailer? ;) Would you ever use it?

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
I thought you gave up on the trailer? ;) Would you ever use it?
I did give up the idea of building one. Just never gave up the thought.
I would probably use it once. I certainly don't have room to keep it.
The worst part of towing a trailer is the imposed speed limit. Not sure I could ever maintain a 55 mph pace.
Even when I was on the clock getting paid by the hour I still had a hard time doing 55 with a truck and trailer.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Bike + Trailer :eek: now 55 :razz: . Boy I never even thought about that. Not for me. Maybe some nice concrete pads in the yard so you park and work on the scooters easier? With almost everyone in the family riding you must be able to load all gear without dragging a couple hundred extra pounds . :wink:

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Funny that you should mention the concrete pads. (again) Some months ago you told me about asking for the truck clean out concrete, well I thought about it and figured I had all the time in the world, as there just ain't that much construction in my area. Last week directly across the street from me they poured a concrete wheel chair access ramp! And who was not ready? I seen the remodel going on, but had no idea it was for a concrete ramp.
20 years ago I had a close friend that drove a concrete truck. Shoot, 20 years ago I had all kinds of friends in the construction trades. I quit drinking and they all disappeared. Hmmm, were they just figments of my drunken imagination?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts