Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have to give a big shout-out to a recent purchase that just came in handy this last week. My DeLorme inReach satellite 2-way communicator. Through the years I've had the SPOT communicator and it has always worked fine. Never had to use any of the emergency features, but it always pretty much worked as advertised. On my last deployment overseas I got acquainted with the DeLorme company and had to opportunity to use some of their products. I recently purchased a DeLorme inReach communicator as I often get pretty far off the beaten path.
This last weekend I took off on dirt bikes with a group of my buddies and we went doing our thing in a mountain range that borders Nevada and California. Our travels took us from around 5000' to a little over 1100' in some pretty rugged areas. Along the way we managed to flatten two different tires. Luckily I had thought to toss a 10" crescent wrench in to my backpack! Taking time out for the tire tube repair/replacement put us a little behind schedule and then one of the guys took a pretty serious wreck where he banged himself and his bike up requiring us to call it a day as there was no way to make it back to the trucks before nightfall. We were about at the 10000' mark with absolutely no cell service and we had people expecting us back.
Time to break out the DeLorme. They come with all kinds of gps stuff that I don't really have much use for, especially while 2 wheeling but they also function as a 2 way satellite communicator. With just a couple pushes of a button we sent out a couple of text messages to people letting them know we were ok, what was going on and that we wouldn't be making it back off the mountain until the next day. 10 - 15 minutes later we got a confirmation text letting us know out messages had been received and asking us if we needed anything. Getting Uncle Sam to launch something big enough to pick us and our bikes up to fly us off the mountain wasn't an option so we said we were good to go.
Luckily I always have a stray MRE in my day pack and someone else had one so those two little packs of heaven and a pack of peanut butter crackers served as dinner for all five of us. Water wasn't a concern as we all know to bring plenty in our packs.
What made the DeLorme so nice as compared to the SPOT is the SPOT is a one way communicator. It has three pre-set messages you can send out. 1 saying you are good to go. 1 for being in a bit of trouble and 1 good old SOS. With the DeLorme you can have pre-set messages but you can also use it to send messages as required AND receive messages back. Now, as with most everything, you pay for the difference. The last SPOT I bought ran me somewhere in the vicinity of $125. and I think my monthly subscription plan was around $12 - $15 a month. The DeLorme on the other hand just ran me around $375 and my monthly subscription runs me about $50 a month. Again, the DeLorme offers a lot of features I don't really have much use for, but it sure was nice being on the top of that mountain knowing that our messages were getting and being received. Something to think about.

·
Premium Member
8,934 Posts
Snagged one of these last week..

Just, Neat as can be.. Riding alone.. With all the no-bar areas I plan to (and already have) taken my Tiger - this thing works a treat!

Got me thinking... All these modern scary movies... What's the first thing that we get told?? That's Right! ..."Oh, Looky! ...Whodafunkedit! ..My cell phone don't-work-none"... :roll: ..at that point you know they're gonners ... Thinking of all the lives that could be saved and all the hack-n-slash artists arrested, if only these dang-kids were carrying one of these between 'em! :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.