Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well,
Saturday morning guys from Honda dealership are coming by with a trailer to pick up my bike for winter storage. They will change tires/tubes, change oil/filter and rest of fluids, replace my rear left turn signal, check my shifter(someone told me there is too much play), lube and adjust my chain.

Im already getting all depressed that I wont be riding for about 5 months...
I guess Ill be going to a shooting range a lot more often during winter to keep my mind off riding

·
Registered
517 Posts
I can't imagine how you survive up there during winter. I feel for you!

I figure here in my area I'll have days that will be fine for riding with the exception of late Jan-Feb. The weather in past years has been rather screwy so who knows! You may have good weather and we may not.

·
Registered
7,541 Posts
:shock: Well it does...but guys are really p*ssies when it comes to below 40 or 50 on a bike. I'm never sure whether they are just too cheap to buy proper cold weather gear or yeah...just "Nancy" boys. :p

On the other hand...many people ride for recreation. So...recreation wouldn't include cold, slick, rain or high heat. There are a lot up north who store their bikes for the winter in the same spot they store their snowmobile in the summer. For many it's a hobby. Let's face it...who's gonna be uncomfortable doing woodworking or knitting. So yeah...I understand. :-D

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Susan07....40-50...?????Im in Chicago area...Its already in the 30's and its only October..During the winter we get below zero temps with CRAZY wind and snow.
If the worst we got was 40-50 degrees, I would be riding all year round..lol

Also, Im a new rider. Started riding July of this year and havent really been out on a bike during rain or snow so I figured Id play it safe and store it. Maybe next year when I have more experience riding, Ill keep the bike till November or so but for now, in the storage she goes.

·
Registered
7,541 Posts
:shock: Yeah...it's supposed to go down to 31 tomorrow morning. I have a training in Topeka. Nice little 110 mile round trip from my house. It dropped here kind of sudden this year. They say Thursday is a low of 27. Really? Already? Twenties? :shock:

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
:shock: Yeah...it's supposed to go down to 31 tomorrow morning. I have a training in Topeka. Nice little 110 mile round trip from my house. It dropped here kind of sudden this year. They say Thursday is a low of 27. Really? Already? Twenties? :shock:
WOW..so Chicago isnt the only place thats getting cold..lol
See, I just started riding a few months ago and so far, have been doing it just for fun..here and there after work and on the weekends.
I did take it to work twice but being stuck in traffic on I90 in chicago isnt fun on a bike..lol
Now that I have some experience riding, next riding season Im planning to use my bike A LOT more.

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
32 this morning on my way in.... Maybe I'm just more gungho this year cuz it's been a while since I rode. Crashed bad in 2001, hit by a left turner, less than 3K in 10 years. Saddled back up on my own bike in 2004 just before the wife says "We're pregnant".... that ended that. When gas prices hit $4/gal she says maybe it's not such a bad idea to get another bike...didn't let her finish the thought and I was shopping. Found this bike on CL in April, picked it up in May, on the road in June. Just 4K in almost 5 months. I'm not getting off til I see black ice. Feels too damn good back in the saddle.... so yeah, maybe it IS me.

I was a die hard in my single life.... Married with kids has me whipped I guess.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I know what you mean! I'm just across the line, live in Missouri, work in Kansas. I have a 40 minute drive all highway, and when I saw those temps that we're getting this week, I went out last night and bought some ski pants. My legs were nice and warm on the drive to work this morning.

What makes it even more crazy is that it was 70 on Sunday when I went on a group ride, and I heard people talking that it's supposed to be close to the same this weekend. I don't know where this mid week 20's slipped in from.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts

·
Registered
7,541 Posts
I know what you mean! I'm just across the line, live in Missouri, work in Kansas. I have a 40 minute drive all highway, and when I saw those temps that we're getting this week, I went out last night and bought some ski pants. My legs were nice and warm on the drive to work this morning.

What makes it even more crazy is that it was 70 on Sunday when I went on a group ride, and I heard people talking that it's supposed to be close to the same this weekend. I don't know where this mid week 20's slipped in from.
:shock: Yeah...back to more normal temps this weekend and all next week. One thing I really watch for during the colder months is, will there be moisture and is the temp going below freezing before I get home at night. The occasional black ice I can do...but the all over slick/ice is a no go. Plus once they sand and salt you have to watch that sh*t on the corners and curves. Twenties...really? My body is not acclimated to that yet. :shock:

·
Registered
234 Posts
I'm only parking mine early this year because my buddy who is gonna paint the bike only has a small amount of free time. This is the best time for him to paint it so nows the time. I figured while the bike was apart it would be a good time to start some of the projects (mods) that I have wanted to do. Once painted and back together than if the temps are good and no snow or ice then I will get it out for some fun.I have been riding with temps in low 40's and have gotten strange looks from people and when they ask what I am doing on a bike I tell'em, 55-60 mpg's sure beats the 20 mpg's in the truck.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
What is this winter storage you speak of?

I live in a Apt building so dont have a garage. So Im taking up Honda on their offer of FREE storage of the bike over winter as long as you spend 300 bucks worht of parts/labor during the winter..
The colder it gets, the less I ride and Its been raining a lot and I just hate letting my bike sit outside so I figured why not have Honda keep it inside their shop over winter.

I think next summer Im going to look into some riding gear for colder weather. Last time I went riding I wore a Tshirt, long sleeve shirt, a hoodie and a leather jacket and was still freezing my ass off when I got home.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Lows in the 40's here this week, but we have been below freezing already this year. Cold I can handle, but if there's gonna be ice - I'm takin the truck.

I try to ride all year if I can, at least once or twice a week. So far, I have been able to do this and not put the bike in storage.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Well,
Saturday morning guys from Honda dealership are coming by with a trailer to pick up my bike for winter storage. They will change tires/tubes, change oil/filter and rest of fluids, replace my rear left turn signal, check my shifter(someone told me there is too much play), lube and adjust my chain.

Im already getting all depressed that I wont be riding for about 5 months...
I guess Ill be going to a shooting range a lot more often during winter to keep my mind off riding
i hear you. haven't been able to ride for a couple days because of unpleasant weather, and i already miss it. maybe i'll just get a space heater this winter and go sit on the bike during the winter.

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Well I don't have to tell you what kind of weather we have here in Canada. But where I live, it's known as the snow belt. Last year there was 6 ft of snow on the ground by Christmas and it never stopped.
So once the bike is stored, like in another couple of weeks, I say let it snow cus there's a winter machine that get's lots of use.
Yamaha Venture RS 1000.:mrgreen:

·
Registered
116 Posts
my winter ride is a '98 Wrangler. replaced transmission last winter; hoping that no major repairs are needed this year.

have had it since it was new. would like to keep it for many years to come.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.