Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi:
There's been a lot of discussion here on intercom systems and just as an FYI Scala has produced a Bluetooth Intercom set that interfaces with a passenger and cellphone or both for conference capability.

This weekend I had a chance to play around with one and it works just as advertised. I don't own the unit since I don't ride with passengers. I've had a standard Scala Rider for quite a while and it works very well with clear communications via a cell phone and the basic circuitry is the same with the Team.

The nice thing is the price. The MSRP on the Teamset is $229 for both units and bargains are out there. On a three hour charge the unit will run for up to seven hours. There is also an FM Scala Rider that will pick up stations and then mute if a call comes in but that isn't available as a teamset.

Oh, and before I get the anti-cell phone comments, I'm almost always on call for work (comes with being the boss) and being able to quickly answer or reject a phone call by voice command beats being forced to pull over, pull off my gloves, pull off my sun glasses, pull off my helmet, pull out my reading glasses then grabbing the cell phone and then repeating the whole process in reverse.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I use the Scala Rider too and love it! It is a great tool for communications when I ride with my best bud. When we ride in a group, she usually is tailgunner and has a GPS and tells me turns and such when I lead. I ride alone alot and like the fact I can receive or make calls when needed without having to stop. Excellent quality and VERY clear at 75 mph :D Certainly wont get any cell phone bashing from me. :D

·
Registered
694 Posts
I have thought about getting one and find the information you posted welcome. Just curious as to what kind of helmet you have used it with. My wife and I ride 2 up together and she gets more calls than I do from her Mom. It would be nice for her to be able to get the calls and quitt tapping me to pull over. I wear a shorty but she wears a 3/4 with a face shield.

·
Registered
327 Posts
:?:
I think I'm missing something on the basic operation of this device. If I want to talk to a riding buddy I have to make a cell call? Sounds dangerous. I mean what do you do? Mount the phone on your handlebar so you can see it and use speed dial?

·
Registered
119 Posts
I have been looking at this unit for a while and seriously considering it also. Do they communicate to each other when you don't have a cell phone? Probably in a short range is what I am thinking. But when riding with buddy's where you may be more than the standard bluetooth 33 feet apart, you may have to use the cell phone to do the communications... Also, can you interface anything else to them, like an mp3 player or something?

Just curious before I lay the money down.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I love my Scala Rider and have been using it for over a year now. (I am the bud of which Southernspirt speaks) We use it like an intercom system which is wonderful. We aren't limited by distance like some of the other comm systems. (i've used Chatterboxes before and they advertise a talking distance of 2 miles but it's more like 1/2 a mile if that) I also like it because if one of my kids calls i can answer it right away. i have a cell phone mount on my handlebars so i can see who is calling. I use voice commands to answer and to place calls so my hands do not leave the handlebars. No..they don't interface with mP3......yet.

·
Registered
119 Posts
texmjr said:
I love my Scala Rider and have been using it for over a year now. (I am the bud of which Southernspirt speaks) We use it like an intercom system which is wonderful. We aren't limited by distance like some of the other comm systems. (i've used Chatterboxes before and they advertise a talking distance of 2 miles but it's more like 1/2 a mile if that) I also like it because if one of my kids calls i can answer it right away. i have a cell phone mount on my handlebars so i can see who is calling. I use voice commands to answer and to place calls so my hands do not leave the handlebars. No..they don't interface with mP3......yet.
Will it work as an intercom between two of them without using the cell phones? If so, what is the range in that mode?

·
Registered
119 Posts
black-n-blue said:
Will it work as an intercom between two of them without using the cell phones? If so, what is the range in that mode?
Based on the first post in this thread it looks like Scala has come out with a Bluetooth Intercom set that can be used as an intercom or phone. I think that would be a good idea if you have a passenger most of the time. I only have the cell phone ( Scala Rider ) because I have Cingular and so does my bud so it is considered mobile to mobile which costs us nothing or uses any minutes! :D We talk often when riding and I live in Arkansas and she lives in Texas. If I need to make a call I just press the button on the headset that is attached to my helmet and by voice command tell it who to call. If I have a call coming in I just press the same button and answer. I should also say that my phone does NOT have auto answer which would be nice so I wouldnt have to do anything to answer! :D

·
Registered
119 Posts
beowulf said:
I think I'm missing something on the basic operation of this device. If I want to talk to a riding buddy I have to make a cell call? Sounds dangerous. I mean what do you do? Mount the phone on your handlebar so you can see it and use speed dial?
Yea...I make a cell call and my phone is mounted on my handlebar. I use voice dialing when I want to make a call.

·
Registered
119 Posts
GB6049 said:
I have thought about getting one and find the information you posted welcome. Just curious as to what kind of helmet you have used it with. My wife and I ride 2 up together and she gets more calls than I do from her Mom. It would be nice for her to be able to get the calls and quitt tapping me to pull over. I wear a shorty but she wears a 3/4 with a face shield.
I have a modular ( flipface) helmet ie: Nolan N100E I know they work with 3/4 helmets. I believe the set up for the 3/4 and modular are the same unit.

·
Registered
119 Posts
southernspirit said:
black-n-blue said:
Based on the first post in this thread it looks like Scala has come out with a Bluetooth Intercom set that can be used as an intercom or phone. I think that would be a good idea if you have a passenger most of the time. I only have the cell phone ( Scala Rider ) because I have Cingular and so does my bud so it is considered mobile to mobile which costs us nothing or uses any minutes! :D We talk often when riding and I live in Arkansas and she lives in Texas. If I need to make a call I just press the button on the headset that is attached to my helmet and by voice command tell it who to call. If I have a call coming in I just press the same button and answer. I should also say that my phone does NOT have auto answer which would be nice so I wouldnt have to do anything to answer! :D
Awesome, that answers what I was looking for... Looks like I will be putting a set on my wish list!!! Thanks!!

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just to clarify, the intercom works using Bluetooth and the phone isn't involved. The Scala I have I keep the phone in my chest pocket and you can answer and dial handsfree by voice command. When a call comes in, the conversation can be shared across both riders.

Since it does use Bluetooth, the second person needs to be on the same bike, this isn't a WT or radio unit but we did get it to work while standing several feet away from each other.

My helmet is a modular Vega. The couple who has the teamset uses it on 3/4 helmets. There is a bracket that mounts on the helmet that the unit then mounts to so you can remove it.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
119 Posts
rmw said:
Just to clarify, the intercom works using Bluetooth and the phone isn't involved. The Scala I have I keep the phone in my chest pocket and you can answer and dial handsfree by voice command. When a call comes in, the conversation can be shared across both riders.

Since it does use Bluetooth, the second person needs to be on the same bike, this isn't a WT or radio unit but we did get it to work while standing several feet away from each other.

My helmet is a modular Vega. The couple who has the teamset uses it on 3/4 helmets. There is a bracket that mounts on the helmet that the unit then mounts to so you can remove it.

Hope this helps

Awesome, that is exactly what I am looking for... It would be ideal if they would work about 100 feet apart without the phone, but even if it's only about 10 it will definitely do the job for me... Thanks!

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I don't know about 10'. Bluetooth is a near proximity system. It may work, it may not at 10'

·
Registered
119 Posts
rmw said:
I don't know about 10'. Bluetooth is a near proximity system. It may work, it may not at 10'
True, but most bluetooth devices adveratise 10 meters which is basically 33 feet.. Most though, work good up to about 10 feet, then marginal beyond that depending on the environment... Thanks for the info though, that's what I was needing.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I'm a bit late to the post.

I have a Garmin zumo GPS that I use to connect to both my cell phone and Scala Rider headset when I ride. That way - I hear the GPS instructions in the Scala Rider helmet speaker. And - if I get a phone call the GPS shows the number (and the name if I have that loaded in my cell phone address book). The Scala allows me to take a call simply by saying a word - or - I can just keep my mouth shut and the call rolls to voice mail after a few rings. I have never actually made a call while riding - too dangerous for me. But - when I am stopped its a real simple matter to call home, etc.

I'm very concious of not fooling with stuff while riding. I get the GPS set up before I start in motion. I can accept a call without taking my hands off the bars at all. I stop if I'm going to make a call. Period.

Oh - and did I say I love this setup. It works great and is super convenient (and safe if you use common sense). One note in my experience - a Motorola Razr has unreliable Bluetooth connections (that's per my Cingular tech rep AND Scala tech support). I had to get another phone and have had no problems.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I use a Razor and found that the secret was keeping the phone in my left chest pocket, near the Scala. I've had trouble using it with an earpiece headset outdoors when the phone is on my belt. These phones seem to have very weak Bluetooth signals and I imagine using them on a bike where the signal is going from the phone to a GPS on the handlebars could be problematic.

·
Registered
1999 VT1100C2 A. C. E.
9,219 Posts
I have never actually made a call while riding - too dangerous for me.
Piece of cake if you've got a phone that lets you assign voice tags to the entries in your contact list -- or if you want to re-dial the last number you called. Since my wife and I are using Scalas as our bike-to-bike intercom (through a continuous cellphone connection), we've had to practice this whenever we've had our signal dropped. The keys to doing it safely while riding are (1) deciding in advance who will re-initiate the call and (2) choosing the right time to do it. (I'll generally wait until I stop at a traffic light and leave the bike in neutral for a couple of seconds.)

·
Registered
88 Posts
Right on all counts adlowe.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts