Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to lower the back end of my ACE. What do you guys recommend, and how is the ride with either of these mods?

·
Registered
294 Posts
Well I can't tell you how the ride is because I haven't gotten the chance :(

But the 2.5 inch drop in the back was easy enough to install and looks great, I'm still waiting to receive the front lowering kit (I'm talking about the Scootworks kits). But, Just sitting on it, it is stiffer (Remember it changes the angle of the shock) but it is also set on the third setting, so I'm waiting to spring to find the right adjustment.

·
Registered
81 Posts
What length are the stock ACE shocks? The Spirit 750 stock shocks are 12" and the stock Aero 750 shocks are 11". I think the shortest Progressive shocks are 11" so depending on how long your stock shocks are you may end up not lowering the bike at all by putting Progressives on.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Can the stock Aero risers (11") be used on the ACE?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Epic said:
The stock Shock length is 12.5 on the ACE
Then if he is cheap like I am he could probably start by buying a used set of Aero 750 shocks off of EBAY.

·
Registered
32 Posts
A little off topic but.....

Hey cd_god, I love the look of your bike. What did you use to rake out your front forks? Did you make it or was it a kit? Thanks!

·
Registered
81 Posts
The triple trees are stock but there are raked triple trees out there for around $550. I'm not sure if it is the 3" fork extensions, 21" wheel, or the lowered rear (or any combination of all three) that actually gives it the raked appearance.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I have to ScootWorks 2.5" rear drop installed on my Aero. I'd say if you do a lot of 2-up riding on your A.C.E. , then you might want to consider the 1.5" kit. You really won't notice the 1 " difference in the two kits until it comes time to take along a passenger. Then, every inch helps. :lol:

·
Registered
539 Posts
ohiospirit1100 said:
those kits change the shock angle and also the ride is then hard!
The kit definately changes the shock angle, but on my bike it made the ride softer. And that is with the shocks set on the highest tension setting.

·
Registered
114 Posts
ohiospirit1100 said:
There is no doubt that the lowering kits change the shock angle but from my personal experience (have had my ACE lowered for about 2 years) the ride is not harder with the lowering kit installed. Depending on your weight and that of your rider, you might have a little less room before bottoming out but you could raise the pre-load on the shocks to help that problem. From what I understand, having you shocks modified by cutting down the springs, will certainly affect your load capacity as well. Just my $0.02 from my personal experience with the Scootworks kit.
Peace,

·
Registered
303 Posts
I recently put 11" progressives on my ACE. They look great and it definately lowers the bike by about 1.5" (haven't had a chance to ride on them yet though!)

I went this route in part because one of the original shock covers was badly dented when I bought the bike.

·
Registered
114 Posts
ohiospirit1100 said:
There is no doubt that the lowering kits change the shock angle but from my personal experience (have had my ACE lowered for about 2 years) the ride is not harder with the lowering kit installed. Depending on your weight and that of your rider, you might have a little less room before bottoming out but you could raise the pre-load on the shocks to help that problem. From what I understand, having you shocks modified by cutting down the springs, will certainly affect your load capacity as well. Just my $0.02 from my personal experience with the Scootworks kit.
Peace,

1 - 15 of 15 Posts