Honda Shadow Forums banner

Score another for a Honda…..Necessity mother of invention….

2K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  rickbb 
#1 ·
Wonder if this will catch on in the states. Looks like it would be a great alternative for use in large cities. As I understand it they chose the Honda Goldwing for its power and dependability. Just think next time you go and buy a Goldwing one of the many options may be a tow package…… Click on this link to see a Discovery film about the development. [url]http://www.exn.ca/video/?video=exn20040414-towbike.asx [/url]

[/img]

See less See more
#3 ·
Hmm... 900lb bike. 3500+ lb car. Smaller tires. Smaller brake pads.

Physics are not on the side of the tow kit, there.

Thank you, but no.

#6 ·
There are disc brakes on the dolley wheels.
Good catch, Shiney. And they are no doubt activated by a hookup to the bike's brake system. The GL certainly has enough power in the lower gears to tow, but I bet they have to beef up the clutch.

#7 ·
Shiney said:
There are disc brakes on the dolley wheels.
True, but they're likely typical electric trailer brakes. If they are, they're probably not modulated brakes, unless they put a pressure sensor in the bike's brake system and regulate trailer brakes that way.

Don't get me wrong... cool idea, and yeah, the GL's got the grunt to do that service, but I don't see it being the norm here in the states where 6000lb SUVs and pickups are still so abundant.

#8 ·
Uh....I hate to act like an engineer here.......but wouldnt it be a whole lot cheaper to create a universal hitch for any vehicle to tow another?......i know those are already out there......

#10 ·
Ya,I can think of alot of other vehicles to make a wrecker out of then using a motorcycle.
I think they do it in Japanese cities where the very and crowded and narrow streets would make maneuvering a regular tow truck a problem. Even in Tokyo there are relatively few wide streets compared to US cities, but thousands of little lanes. Even cargo trucks are downsized.

#11 ·
MikeB said:
Ya,I can think of alot of other vehicles to make a wrecker out of then using a motorcycle.
I think they do it in Japanese cities where the very and crowded and narrow streets would make maneuvering a regular tow truck a problem. Even in Tokyo there are relatively few wide streets compared to US cities, but thousands of little lanes. Even cargo trucks are downsized.
Its funny , when these pics first came out awhile back , we tried to figure out where they were taken . Its not Japan . My guess is mainland china , anyone step up and tell us what the language is thats printed on the license plate? It has bugged me :)

#13 ·
Keep in mind, at 40" wide, it's meant to be able to lane split and get to the accident scene. The max stated towing speed is 20 mph and the front end has been reworked for stability while towing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.