Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Chicken Strips!
I can drag pegs.
So what do I have to do lay my bike over in the parking lot and spin it each way until the branding is half worn off to win?

·
Registered
676 Posts
Too much leaning my Spirit 1100 and something drags. I'm not sure if it was the foot pegs or the engine guard. I try to keep it from scraping around the corners.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Probably not a real good idea to be dragging pegs and floorboards on cruisers, but here's some additional spice for the mix. Here's a pic of my front tire on my VFR800 Interceptor after riding 500 miles with a 25-30 knot crosswind (roughly 7-10 degree lean angle) at 70-75mph. Tire is Bridgestone T30.Didn't photograph rear, but it had a nice bevel too...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,516 Posts
I'm an old fart, so whenever riding with a group, I always take up the last position in the pack and let the young bucks have their fun with peg and floorboard scraping through corners no matter which bike I'm riding that day. The twisties don't have any appeal to me as it's way too much work. All my chicken strips on all my bikes are there until the tires are worn out and replaced.

I'm usually the guy going 5 mph slower through the corners than the speed limit. Things take a lot longer to heal when you're old. ;-)

·
Registered
676 Posts
I'm an old fart, so whenever riding with a group, I always take up the last position in the pack and let the young bucks have their fun with peg and floorboard scraping through corners no matter which bike I'm riding that day. The twisties don't have any appeal to me as it's way too much work. All my chicken strips on all my bikes are there until the tires are worn out and replaced.

I'm usually the guy going 5 mph slower through the corners than the speed limit. Things take a lot longer to heal when you're old. ;-)
Riding last, they won't pop wheelies over you or run you over. I think that is the wisest position if you are unsure of who you are riding with.

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
A lot depends on the shape of your tire, rounder profiles will have more not scrubbed, this is my Valkyrie tire, the marks 1/2" from the edge is not the scrub line, its the got hot line, there is no scrub line...... well there almost is, there are a few spots around the edge not touched

·
Registered
407 Posts
Since everything has been conspiring against me recently, I haven't put enough miles on to even scrub the nubbins off the centre of the tire, but I have just touched the chicken strip.
Since mine is an 84 and rides pretty high, I have plenty of clearance, using my calibrated eyeball I'd be dragging a peg at the top of the chicken strip, and I'm not going to test that unless I'm at a track or somewhere with a good runoff in case I lowside.
I love how Shinko actually has a line where the chicken strip begins on the 230's :laugh:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,516 Posts
Since everything has been conspiring against me recently, I haven't put enough miles on to even scrub the nubbins off the centre of the tire, but I have just touched the chicken strip.
Since mine is an 84 and rides pretty high, I have plenty of clearance, using my calibrated eyeball I'd be dragging a peg at the top of the chicken strip, and I'm not going to test that unless I'm at a track or somewhere with a good runoff in case I lowside.
I love how Shinko actually has a line where the chicken strip begins on the 230's :laugh:
I'm confused. Where exactly is the chicken strip? Do all tires have them?

·
Registered
407 Posts
It's a slang term.
It's the area of tread that's usually unworn either side of the motorcycle tire centre because the rider is too "chicken" to lean their bike over that far in a bend, with good tires and clean road surface most crotch rockets can do about a 60 degree lean.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,111 Posts

the unused strip around the tire, not a given measurement, determined by the riding style/skill and ground clearance of the bike ...mine the pegs scrape just as I run out of tire so a good match :)

·
Registered
420 Posts
:laugh:

You'll drag before your tires slide out on dry pavement, I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Premium Member
2,516 Posts
While driving down a two lane blacktop or cement country road with wide sweeping turns and a 50 mph speed limit, at what speeds do the guys who don't like chicken strips on their tires take these turns at?

·
Registered
420 Posts
While driving down a two lane blacktop or cement country road with wide sweeping turns and a 50 mph speed limit, at what speeds do the guys who don't like chicken strips on their tires take these turns at?

It's not the speed that does it. You can wear off the chicken strips at 25 MPH you just have to lean down enough. Here's a guy in a corner probably not going fast at all but he has no chicken strips.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,111 Posts

If you are not hitting thighter roads it is less likely for you to wear down those strips....
These are the roads I travel, I generally don't travel highways, 80% backroads (note this trip I was leading and the rider behind me was on a borrowed bike and used to riding on the other side of the road so not my normal pace)

this is sped up a little to compress the video from memory, but shows the roads

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
About this Discussion
30 Replies
11 Participants
punxsybob
Honda Shadow Forums
Welcome to Honda Shadow Forum. Come in and discuss any Honda Shadow models: VT1100, VT250, VT750 and the VT500.
Full Forum Listing