Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! I have a 99 VT1100T shadow ace. She has hit the 8,000 mile mark and I am attempting to do the required maintainance using the service manual. My current issue is setting the Starting Enrichment Valves.

I pulled the valves from the carbs, and measured the distance from the boot to the end of the spring. I get 20mm. The book says 10-11mm. I believe this because she is hard to start when cold, and the book says this is a result of the SE valve not opening enough. OK. Now, it says to adjust the cable by "turning the elbow inder the handgrip". ????! That cable is not meant to be turned there. So the question I pose is: how do you shorten that "choke" cable by 10mm? :?:

any help will help!
Thanks
Hoppy

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Where the choke cable mounts to the housing at the handle bar there is an elbow that the cable goes through and a lock nut.
The Honda OEM manual for your bike says to loosen the lock nut,
Turn the elbow until the specified SE valve distance is obtained. SO the adjustment is at that elbow.
MarkC

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's where I'm stuck. I did loosen that locknut, but all turning the elbow does is bind the cable housing; the cable itself does not move in or out of the boot on the carb end. It seems that if I were able to turn that elbow 360deg I might get some play on the cable, but my efforts only resulted in pulling on the housing and starting to make the crimp connection (at the end of the elbow where it joins the housing) start to come loose. Didn't want to break anythng, especially since I don't know what I'm doing! :roll:

I was hoping there was some other trick...

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Hoppy said:
That's where I'm stuck. I did loosen that locknut, but all turning the elbow does is bind the cable housing; the cable itself does not move in or out of the boot on the carb end. It seems that if I were able to turn that elbow 360deg I might get some play on the cable, but my efforts only resulted in pulling on the housing and starting to make the crimp connection (at the end of the elbow where it joins the housing) start to come loose. Didn't want to break anythng, especially since I don't know what I'm doing! :roll:

I was hoping there was some other trick...
Well, the best I can figure is you will have to un-route the cables so they are hanging free, OR remove the housing from the handle bar and rotate the housing around the elbow. I can't figure out WHY they didn't make an adjuster on the elbow itself?? this is one of those area's that wasn't well thought out.
MarkC

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks man...those were the only options I could see remaining too....and don't want to attempt either one till I know for sure...Bike runs good now don't wanna muck it up just in time for spring!

If anybody else has any tricks up their sleeves I'll listen! :shock:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Not to dig up an old thread or anything, but I'm having the same problem with mine, its about 5mm off currently. I tried the arm screwed all the way in, and all the way out, without any difference at the valve. My bike does not start like it should, any advice or changes?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.