Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a can of Sea Foam. Never used it before. How much should I use the first time? How much after that and how often? Does anyone add it to their oil like it says on the can? Thanks in advance for your input.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I typically use 1 ounce per gallon of gas at EVERY fill. I've heard of people using more but I would be concerned with rubber seals within the engine if too much is used. Maybe it's not a big deal and just my paranoia?

·
Registered
284 Posts
I use an ounce for every gallon, too. I think it says it right there on the can. I use it about every 3rd tankful. Is there a noticeable benefit to using it more often? Especially on older bikes?

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
pocket aces said:
Just bought a can of Sea Foam. Never used it before. How much should I use the first time? How much after that and how often? Does anyone add it to their oil like it says on the can? Thanks in advance for your input.

Are you putting your bike into storage? Is there a problem with the way it runs? Why do you want to use Sea Foam?

I have five bikes, often one or more will sit for two months without starting. It’s never a problem because of the fuel. The only fuel additive I have used in any of my current bikes is octane boost for the Triumph.

Back in 1970 when I was working as a boat mechanic, Sea Foam was always used in the boat gas for winter storage. Back then, gasoline had five grams per gallon of tetraethyl lead and an undetermined amount of sulfur possibly one percent or more. Modern gasoline has no lead and is ultra low sulfur, less than 30 PPM. Plus, since the early 1990’s the EPA has required all gasoline sold in the US to have fuel injection cleaner added to the gas. Ethanol also helps clean the fuel system.
Al

1985 VT1100
2002 FXD
2001 FLHR
1994 XR250L
1978 Bonneville

·
Registered
36 Posts
I use it at every tank fill because not only is it a cleaner, it is also a great fuel stabilizer. Rather than risking carb issues I would rather use it all the time and know my carbs won't gumup.

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
It's okay to double the recommended dose for the initial "clean out" (2 oz per gallon) but 1 oz thereafter is good.

Ethanol can clean the system little, but it's also a corrosive, so it's not doing anybody any favors!

--Justin

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No I'm not putting it in storage. It seems to run just fine. I have never rode another cruiser so I don't have anything to compare it to. just want preventive maintance and maybe after doing it I might notice an improvement.

·
Registered
‘00 Valkyrie Interstate, ‘01 Spirit 1100, 99 VLX
1,341 Posts
Never used it, never saw a need to, and never had any fuel problems.

If the bike will be sitting for a bit, I add a bit of Stabil to a full tank, but I don't even do that often.

CB

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.