Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just thought i would ask about seafoam.called my local parts dealer and they dont have it..i am from canada maybe thats the prob..then they called back said they have product line from seafoam.lol.but nothing for fuel system just motor or tranny additive is one of those it????can someone tell me the actual name on the bottle please so i can get my hands on it thanks in advance...

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
Kechke said:
Hi!
I'm from Hungary, here are no Seafoam too. I use Valvoline products, they are available at all the gas stations, part stores and even supermarkets.
Just happened to see your post here and when you said "Hungary" I said Wow! Now that a long way over the Big Pond...........So let me say Welcome to the forum.

·
Super Moderator
6,531 Posts
You could make your own mixture of "Sea Foam"........ basically it's a mixture of Pale oil, Isopropyl Alcohol and Naptha.

* For the Pale oil you could substitute Kerosene or white gas (the stuff you burn in coleman stoves)

* Isopropyl Alcohol is Rubbing alcohol, go to the pharmacy and buy a pint of the 99% stuff.

* For the Naptha, use Zipo lighter fliud.

Mix equal parts in thirds and you've got your own home made "Sea Foam" at probably one tenth of the cost. I'd only mix as much as you need for each use.
Phil

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
Phil said:
You could make your own mixture of "Sea Foam"........ basically it's a mixture of Pale oil, Isopropyl Alcohol and Naptha.

* For the Pale oil you could substitute Kerosene or white gas (the stuff you burn in coleman stoves)

* Isopropyl Alcohol is Rubbing alcohol, go to the pharmacy and buy a pint of the 99% stuff.

* For the Naptha, use Zipo lighter fliud.

Mix equal parts in thirds and you've got your own home made "Sea Foam" at probably one tenth of the cost. I'd only mix as much as you need for each use.
Phil
Seafoam does not have Isopropyl alcohol, it has Isopropanol.
Isopropanol is what rubbing alcohol is made from.
Isopropyl alcohol has 10% or more WATER in it... not something you want to be putting in your tank or crankcase.
Isopropanol is a solvent and is closely related to acetone.

Pale oil is a wax free oil used for it's lubrication properties.

Seafoam chemical mixture is:
By weight;
PALE OIL 40-60%, NAPHTHA 25-35%, & IPA 10-20%.

The MSDS is available on Seafoam's website.

·
Registered
111 Posts
dreamrz1972 you can get Seafoam in Canada at Carquest and NAPA auto stores, about $11 a can. I've been using it for years. I run a 1/3 can every 3rd tankful of gas in my bike. I also use it in my old 94 Buick, helps keep the old girl purring.

·
Registered
219 Posts
OK, since I'm one to beat a topic to death, I'll keep this thread going with a further question:

The Seafoam website lists Pepboys as carrying it, and there's a Pepboys on my way home. I searched Pepboys' website, and they don't have Seafoam listed as a product. Same story for a couple of other stores listed on Seafoam's site. So, on the off chance that Pepboys (or any other parts store listed on Seafoam's site) doesn't have Seafoam, are there acceptable alternatives?

TIA

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
cbjr0256 said:
txcyclist said:
So, on the off chance that Pepboys (or any other parts store listed on Seafoam's site) doesn't have Seafoam, are there acceptable alternatives?

TIA
Absolutely, Chevron makes a cleaner with Techroline and it is a very good product.
Agreed!

For the most part, the name brands of these 'cleaners' are the same basic stuff.

Seafoam and Techron are probably the two biggest and well known.
The base cleaning agents across most of them are the same, there
are just some minor additive differences across brands... just like gasoline.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Thanks for the help, folks! I found it at Autozone which is, conveniently, just around the corner from me. Now, if this rain would be kind enough to move out, I could use it and see if it helps!

·
Registered
406 Posts
Seafoam does not have Isopropyl alcohol, it has Isopropanol.
Isopropanol is what rubbing alcohol is made from.
Isopropyl alcohol has 10% or more WATER in it... not something you want to be putting in your tank or crankcase.
Isopropanol is a solvent and is closely related to acetone.
OK, this is nitpicky, but isopropyl alcohol and isopropanol are exactly the same molecule, just like ethyl alcohol and ethanol are the same (and can either get you drunk or power your car). You're right that you can buy it in different concentrations, but that would be the only difference.

Sorry, the chemical engineer in me that couldn't let that go...

There was a board discussion a while back about water injection that you were in, Litnin. Would you think that 10% of one third of a few ounces in a couple gallons of gas could hurt the engine that much? I'm curious because now I'm thinking of making my own seafoam too, but don't want to freeze the pistons.

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
downinit25i said:
OK, this is nitpicky, but isopropyl alcohol and isopropanol are exactly the same molecule, just like ethyl alcohol and ethanol are the same (and can either get you drunk or power your car). You're right that you can buy it in different concentrations, but that would be the only difference.

Sorry, the chemical engineer in me that couldn't let that go...

There was a board discussion a while back about water injection that you were in, Litnin. Would you think that 10% of one third of a few ounces in a couple gallons of gas could hurt the engine that much? I'm curious because now I'm thinking of making my own seafoam too, but don't want to freeze the pistons.
Ok, let me clarify a little more.
The IPA that is in Seafoam is dehydrogenated and is VERY similar to
ketone acetate... NOT isopropyl alcohol.

I assume you've heard of products called "dry gas"?
These products contain Isopropanol. They are designed to solubilize (lawman's term: absorb) the water so it doesn't present a problem.

As far as the water in rubbing alcohol, no it wouldn't seize the pistons or anything like that.
The water injection is not used for cleansing, it's used for cooling when
there are extreme temps, boost, or high compression engines involved.
It's mostly for racing applications and simply isn't practical for street use.
Water injection is also a calculated injection amount and isn't just
randomly dumped in as few ounces in the tank.

One of the biggest things to note is:
Rubbing alcohol has a very low flash point and burns VERY quick.
The Isopropanol (dehydrogenated) that is in cleaners such as Seafoam
have a much higher flash point and won't pre-ignite.
If that rubbing alcohol pre-ignites, it will pre-ignite the fuel... and then
you have problems with detonation and pinging.
While Seafoam doesn't actually raise the octane level of the gasoline,
it does have a slight and 'same effect' of raising the octane.

Making your own "Seafoam" isn't a bad idea...
I wasn't trying to persuade against it, just make sure you use the 'correct'
ingredients in the correct ratios.
Seafoam uses the proportions because their research has found that to be the most effective without damaging components.
If you start making your own concoctions and using your own ratios,
do you know what kind of effect it would have, not only on the engine, but
more importantly the oil?
Use ketone acetone, not rubbing alcohol.

·
Registered
921 Posts
A few people on this forum have said they add an ounce or two of Seafom into the crankcase just before an oil change. A couple of others have said they'd never do that because of the wet clutch. Has anybody had or heard of problems or benefits from adding it to crankcase? Do you think it will all come out w/the draining or will enough be left inside to cause problems?

·
Registered
7 Posts
SeaFoam also makes a product that is specifically designed for automatic transmissions. (Looks and smells the same as the SeaFoam we have been using for years but could be different)
It should be compatible with our engines and clutches.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.