Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I think my oem seat is on its last leg. The seam is coming apart at the upper rear. The fact that I'm constantly trying to get as far back in the seat as possible due to my long legs probably hasn't helped. Any suggestions for repair? Or am I stuck getting a new seat? I suppose I'll get a Mustang if I can't repair, but I'd like to avoid shelling out a bunch of cash right now. Any ideas?

·
Registered
325 Posts
By “coming apart at the upper rear” do you mean unattached where it would normally wrap around and connect under the seat pan? If so you should just be able to take it off and re-staple it. Photos always help. ;)

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
By “coming apart at the upper rear” do you mean unattached where it would normally wrap around and connect under the seat pan? If so you should just be able to take it off and re-staple it. Photos always help. ;)
No, unfortunately not that easy. It's coming apart at the seam.....that runs from one side of the seat around the back edge to the other side of the seat.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Okay, not seeing your seat up close, are they real seams with real stitching? Or faux seams (just pressed in the vinyl)? Are the threads broken or the stitches ripped in the cover? Does it look like something that could be re-sewn?

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay, not seeing your seat up close, are they real seams with real stitching? Or faux seams (just pressed in the vinyl)? Are the threads broken or the stitches ripped in the cover? Does it look like something that could be re-sewn?
Yes, it is a real seam with real stitching. The threads are broken. I suppose it could be re-sewn, but not sure where I could get that done. Sewing is not up my alley!

·
Registered
756 Posts
take the cover off the seat, take it to an upholstery shop to get it resewn, put the cover back on the seat, bet it would be less than $20

·
Registered
325 Posts
I suppose it could be re-sewn, but not sure where I could get that done. Sewing is not up my alley!
Well if as you wrote the threads are broken and the original stitching holes are intact, then it’s just a case of connect the dots. Get some good quality upholstery thread. Sewing isn’t that hard, little old ladies have been doing it for centuries. :D
Or take it to an upholstery shop and pay (more $) to have someone else do it. Either way a cheaper route than a new seat. At least you’ll get a few more miles/years out of it until better times.

·
Registered
434 Posts
... I suppose I'll get a Mustang if I can't repair, but I'd like to avoid shelling out a bunch of cash right now. Any ideas?
Until I read your last post...this definately started to sound like:

"I need some help convincing my wife we NEED TO BUY A NEW MUSTANG SEAT..."

Thought maybe you were out in the driveway plucking away at those threads...

:mrgreen:

·
Banned
3,795 Posts
Sounds like an upholstry shop is the way to go. Thanks for the feedback!
Any place that does car upholstery can repair this while still on the bike, but why not use this as an opportunity to recover with leather. This is a lot less money than you think, and way more comfortable than vinyl, looks better too.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I had something very similar happen to me and my seat. I have a Corbin seat on my bike and it has split at the seams as well. I tried to do the right thing and support local businesses. That being said, I took this thing to three different upholstery shops and got my eyes opened. $250- $300 to recover in vinyl. $500 - $600 to recover in leather. What the ****????? The last guy that I went to, I questioned him regarding his prices. Why the **** would I pay more to recover my seat when I can go buy a new one for less (potentially). Sorry to invade this thread with my two cents. Needless to say, I'm ordering a new seat.

·
Banned
3,795 Posts
I had something very similar happen to me and my seat. I have a Corbin seat on my bike and it has split at the seams as well. I tried to do the right thing and support local businesses. That being said, I took this thing to three different upholstery shops and got my eyes opened. $250- $300 to recover in vinyl. $500 - $600 to recover in leather. What the ****????? The last guy that I went to, I questioned him regarding his prices. Why the **** would I pay more to recover my seat when I can go buy a new one for less (potentially). Sorry to invade this thread with my two cents. Needless to say, I'm ordering a new seat.
Check some of the independent Harley bike shops, they often know people who do this at home. Had two seats recovered in leather for less than $100.00 each, and one is two tone (pictured).

·
Registered
843 Posts
Note to all: Upholstery leather is ~$5/sq foot. Calculate the number of square feet you need. Sometimes upholstery leather is cheaper than cheap vinyl at a sewing store. Or if you have or can acquire an old leather jacket, this will usually be able to do a motorcycle seat.

You will need a sewing machine and upholstery thread. You will need to learn how to sew. Sewing is not only for little old ladies!

·
Registered
2,113 Posts

Whoa... it cost me a whole whopping $140 to have both the rider seat and the pillion seat recovered and repadded. Granted, the pillion seat is currently in a storage box, but still.... your quotes were complete rip-offs, dude. I'm sorry that's how it is in your town... way overpriced.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
Registered
256 Posts
You and I spoke about this some time ago, but I wanted to just remind you that I am interested in your old seat when you get your new one.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I took mine to an upholstery shop. They wanted $200 to re-cover it with vinyl. They restitched the seam for $75, which I thought was still high, but I didn't want to buy a new seat.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Most of the work will be taking out the staples. This should take about 1 hr. The actual time for fixing the seam will be less than 5 minutes, then you restaple everything together. Even going slow the total time would be 1.5 hrs.

$75 seems high. Raw materials used are staples and maybe 2' of upholstery thread. That works out to about $50/hr.

·
Registered
10,252 Posts
While/before they have the seat apart fixin the seam you should see if they can upgrade the foam some and move back your seating position, if not look for a shop that can. Around here price for that was $100-$200.
Let us know.
Coop

1 - 20 of 37 Posts