Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so just got a reply ... 300$ to recover my main seat ... just the bottom of the driver seat .. plain no detail vinyl .... wtf!
SOOO the question how have any of you faired ? any suggestions ...needs to be cheaper .... Diy is an option but would rather not..

HELP.?

·
Registered
21 Posts
replacing a bike seat cover with stock or similar is fairly simple. The main tool is a stapler shooting 5/16" staples, and a sharpened paint can opener or sharpened bent screw driver, to remove staples (the old ones and maybe a miss placed new one. An air stapler is easiest, then electric, then ugh, hand. remove all the old staples. This could be a time to consider altering the shape of the foam or adding a gel insert. Foam shaping tools are: cerated bread knife, 36 grit or similar sand paper, a small router, angle grinder, band saw, almost anything ... the gel insert would be positioned, traced with a sharpie, then routed out 1/2" deep, some spray contact cement to stick in place. it's a good idea to test ride seat mods by temp setting pieces before the 120 staples are set. OK, back to the seat cover, center the front bottom lip and staple, the back too. Then the sides too w/ 1 staple. Go back to front and put 2 more, then the back- some more, sides-more, pulling a modest amount as you go. But you're right, $300 seems high. Then again after market covers seem to be $70 and up. I'm considering a big wooly sheep skin

·
Registered
12,144 Posts
I don't know what bike it is but I picked a Spirit as an example. Ebay has reasonable seat covers.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
I recently came across the closeouts here:
Scroll down the page to see them, look like a good deal, maybe one of them will work for your bike model.

Always sad to see closeouts as it usually spells the end of a product line for something I own.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hey shado#9, I’m in the process of bobbing my shadow now and the next thing to go is the seat. I have a 2004 vt750 aero. It is in great condition. It’ll be a week or so before I could part with the seat (ordering parts today/tomorrow). If your interested let me know. I get discounted shipping rates also so that wouldn’t be any big deal.

·
Registered
8,058 Posts
Living in Minneapolis you can surely find someone cheaper as you're close to the price of GOOD Mustang seat and your arse would be happy to boot.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
so just got a reply ... 300$ to recover my main seat ... just the bottom of the driver seat .. plain no detail vinyl .... wtf!
SOOO the question how have any of you faired ? any suggestions ...needs to be cheaper .... Diy is an option but would rather not..

HELP.?
Wow. That's about double what I've paid before for all new foam, and inch of memory foam and new marine naugahyde. You might want to shop around. Did you tell them you would remove the seat and deliver it? Wow......

·
Registered
491 Posts
I bought seat covers off of Ebay for something like $50. It was easy enough to do the seats myself. While I was at it I added some foam to my seat and reshaped it a bit to fit me better.

Bought the covers from this guy. https://www.ebay.com/itm/HONDA-VT600-Seat-Cover-Shadow-VLX600-1999-2000-2001-2002-2003-25-COLORS-ST-PS/382350542312?hash=item5905de45e8:g:5R8AAOSwRE5aV9kY

I also had to buy one of these because a hand stapler just wasn't cutting it. https://www.lowes.com/pd/Arrow-16-Gauge-3-8-in-Medium-Crown-Finish-Pneumatic-Stapler/50063529

All said and done about $90 to do the seats and the sissy bar.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Howdy shadow#9,

You can do a lot better than recover your original seal. I've got a 2003 Shadow Spirit VT1100. For $105, plus shipping, I can get a whole new Honda brand seat from Partzilla (www.partzilla.com), on-line. That price includes all the mounting hardware. Unless, that is, you're just looking to have a "custom" cover. I get all of my replacement parts from Partzilla. They ship quickly and you can tell before placing your order whether the part is in stock. Highly recommended parts source.

Good luck.[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
28 Posts

HELP.?
eBay

·
Registered
11,002 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wow. That's about double what I've paid before for all new foam, and inch of memory foam and new marine naugahyde. You might want to shop around. Did you tell them you would remove the seat and deliver it? Wow......
that and more .. he was not moving on that price....

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Howdy shadow#9,

You can do a lot better than recover your original seal. I've got a 2003 Shadow Spirit VT1100. For $105, plus shipping, I can get a whole new Honda brand seat from Partzilla (www.partzilla.com), on-line. That price includes all the mounting hardware. Unless, that is, you're just looking to have a "custom" cover. I get all of my replacement parts from Partzilla. They ship quickly and you can tell before placing your order whether the part is in stock. Highly recommended parts source.

Good luck.
[/QUOTE]
looking into it ... mine ..org. 86 .. vt1100c

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Howdy shadow#9,

Good luck.
[/QUOTE]
partzilla

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hey shado#9, I’m in the process of bobbing my shadow now and the next thing to go is the seat. I have a 2004 vt750 aero. It is in great condition. It’ll be a week or so before I could part with the seat (ordering parts today/tomorrow). If your interested let me know. I get discounted shipping rates also so that wouldn’t be any big deal.
can u send a pic to me ..pm or if that fails I would give my email address

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
looking into it ... mine ..org. 86 .. vt1100c
[/QUOTE]
252$ if they had one .....out of stock......thanks

1 - 20 of 20 Posts