Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, new Shadow owner here. For that matter, new rider too. Bought a Virago 250 last year to learn on, then traded up to the 750 ACE in January. :D

I have a couple of questions about the bike. I approached the dealers mechanics on these issues and just want to get another opinion on their responses.

First issue is noise from the front brake under braking. I hear what I describe as a buzzing noise whenever I apply the front brake. The harder I apply the brake and the faster I’m moving when I apply it, the louder the noise is. It fades as speed/brake pressure is reduced. Braking feels smooth and there are no score marks on the disc. The mechanic claims this is normal noise of the brake shoe on the drilled disc. Is he right?

Second issue, the handlebars. After riding a few times I noticed that the handlebars were slightly askew in relation to the top of the triple tree(?). Upon further investigation I determined that the left riser seemed to be mounted crooked. I expected to have to unbolt things and realign them. The mechanic just did the old bicycle handlebar trick of wedging the front tire against an immovable object and forcibly straightening the bars. Seemed to work and after a couple hundred miles things are still straight. Mechanic said this was not uncommon with the riser being mounted with a rubber bushing. Is this an acceptable fix? :?

Last issue, handling. I find steering to be fairly heavy at low speeds and that the bike tends to be rather squirrelly when running along any kind of longitudinal seam, crack or pavement irregularity. It’s nothing compared to when I first picked up the bike. The ride home almost scared me enough to park it permanently. Turns out that the problem was tire pressure. The front was at 13 psig, the rear 22 psig. :evil: I gave the dealer a royal blast on that score. They were all over themselves with apologies and promised me free service. Since putting the correct pressure in the tires handling has improved immensely, but I still have that sqirrelly sensation on seams and cracks. Any ideas? Will different tires help?

In light of my initial experience with the dealer, who supposedly had the bike prepped for me, I would appreciate second opinions. Oh, sorry about the length of this ramble…

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
Hi ya and welcome.

1st, thats normal, the buzz is coming from the holes in the rotor disc. Not to worry.

2nd, yep again normal. The risers are mounted in rubber bushings to reduce viberations in the handle bars. If it had been WAY out then you'd be correct about having to losen something up to fix.

3rd, with the right pressure in the tires the tread pattern can cause it to feel squirly when running on those "tar snakes" as they are sometimes called. Swtiching to a different brand of tire next time can help with that. Dunlop tires that come as OEM on lots of our Shadows get the blame for that. Metzler tires do much better according to almost everyone who's switched to them.

8)

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Howdy and welcome to the forum.
1st you didnt say if the 750 was new or used.

if it is new there will prob be some break-in noise from the front brake.
until it gets completely "seated"

"handling of the 750 will be quite a bit diff. from the 250. its bigger heavier and just isnt as "nimble" as the 250.

the Dealer should be thrashed for letting a bike leave the shop with that kind of air pressure......... thats dangerous! not a very good sign that the dealer cares about customer service. but, not many do.

again if the bike is new........the tires need to be "rode-in" they will get better. but the stock tire prob. Bridgestones or Dunlops tend to be a little squirrley. you get use to em after a while.

good luck
droy

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Low tire pressure, yep!

twisted frontend, common, and yes the fix is common. (Someone may have dropped the bike, that don't mean wrecked)

Some tires do not track as well as others in road cracks and groves, but all the reports I've seen about the Metzlers ME880's is they do VERY well (or much better) than many of the other brand or types of tires.
MarkC

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow, quick responses, thanx to all who took the time, much appreciated.

The bike is an 2003 and a beautiful deep metalic red. I'll post a pic once I have a nice one.

All your responses match what the mechanic told me. Guess they're not totally useless (the mechanic). Oh, the tires are Dunlops and still have some miles in them. Guess I'll have to live with them for a while.

Babs

·
Registered
74 Posts
Your post doesn't mention how many miles are on your ACE. If the previous owner replaced the brake pads, that could be the cause of the noise. Honda pads won't cause the noise you describe, but aftermarket pads definitely will. Stock pads make some noise when braking, but other aftermarket pads make more noise.

There is nothing wrong with what the dealer did to straighten your bars, but if it were me, I would have loosened the bolts on the risers and moved the bars back into place, then tightened the bolts to spec. Still, a little twist won't hurt them. I've had more success in getting the bars to stay put when I loosen and retighten the bolts.

If the tires on the bike are older or worn, you should consider replacing them. There is a world of difference in the handling of this bike with new tires over older, worn tires. And brand makes a big difference. Buy the best tires you can afford, and you won't be dissapointed in the slightly higher $ you spent in the long run. Dunlops are not generally considered the best tire for the ACE. Bridgestones, Pirellis, or the ever-popular Metzlers are better overall.

Oh, and welcome to the forum. Good place to hang out and learn about your ACE!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.