Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My mechanic started telling me about an emissions system on my 2000 Shadow 750 called a secondary air system which allows air into the exhaust system to burn off any extra gasses in the pipes before they exit out into the atmosphere.
He said this system has a reed type device on top of each cylinder head which could be replaced by a plate to eliminate the system and would stop all of the popping that's occurring in my exhaust upon deceleration
Has anybody ever heard of this?
Is there any other performance benefits besides the elimination of the post detonation happening in the pipes?
The ceasing of popping would be benefit enough I guess, but I might wait till the 16k mile valve adjustment to do it, I got 11k on my bike now.
Sorry I been away for a few days, just got done doing 40 hours work in 3 days at the track for the Rolex 24 hours at Daytona race and yippee speedweeks are coming up soon

·
Premium Member
7,687 Posts
I've heard of people eliminating part of the emissions control. Not sure what the benefit was. A proper carb tune/set up will fix that as well.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the previous owner said he did the carb work and it's as good as it's gonna get in his opinion, might look into that as well when I do the valves
howudoin smilie?

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Just from personal experience the PO that I bought my bike from was full of s............... uh, bad advise yeah that's it bad advise. I went thru the carbs and now all is good. I'm sure he had good intentions:roll:

·
Premium Member
7,687 Posts
A pretty good rule of thumb when buying used is don't believe a damned thing the PO tells you and check everything. If it was as good as it was gonna get, it would run well. There are a whole lot of people out there that cobble up a bike and then pass it off to an unsuspecting buyer who has no idea what they actually bought. If you don't believe it, read more posts here. Doin' well, RB!

·
Read Only
2,714 Posts
My mechanic started telling me about an emissions system on my 2000 Shadow 750 called a secondary air system which allows air into the exhaust system to burn off any extra gasses in the pipes before they exit out into the atmosphere.
He said this system has a reed type device on top of each cylinder head which could be replaced by a plate to eliminate the system and would stop all of the popping that's occurring in my exhaust upon deceleration
Has anybody ever heard of this?
Is there any other performance benefits besides the elimination of the post detonation happening in the pipes?
The ceasing of popping would be benefit enough I guess, but I might wait till the 16k mile valve adjustment to do it, I got 11k on my bike now.
Sorry I been away for a few days, just got done doing 40 hours work in 3 days at the track for the Rolex 24 hours at Daytona race and yippee speedweeks are coming up soon
I've HEARD of this, but haven't gotten into mine to find and eliminate it, YET. I'll probably do it, too, since I changed out to Cobra drags, and they pop on decel a LOT. Blocking this off should cut that out, but I'm waiting until I can do the other mods I'm wanting to, including installing jets and a spike K&N type air cleaner, doing the 4degree mod, and installing new clutch springs, along with a new chain a slightly smaller rear sprocket. Figure if I'm going to have the bike 'down', since I ride EVERY day, I might as well take FULL advantage of it, and get everything done at once.

Let me know what you find, please.
Thanks.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
there has been posts of these being blocked.... I Think JK did his?? Not sure if it was better, less crap on the bike with it gone, might take mine of the 750 when I get time to loose some pipes

But yes that system is there :)

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've HEARD of this, but haven't gotten into mine to find and eliminate it, YET. I'll probably do it, too, since I changed out to Cobra drags, and they pop on decel a LOT. Blocking this off should cut that out, but I'm waiting until I can do the other mods I'm wanting to, including installing jets and a spike K&N type air cleaner, doing the 4degree mod, and installing new clutch springs, along with a new chain a slightly smaller rear sprocket. Figure if I'm going to have the bike 'down', since I ride EVERY day, I might as well take FULL advantage of it, and get everything done at once.

Let me know what you find, please.
Thanks.
did the 38t sprocket and 4 degree timing mod worked great, I will prolly wait til the 16k valve adj to dig into the carbs and try new jets, then will prolly go ahead and block off this EPA BS
thanx for all the input, since this a new bike for me I am still feeling out this relationship with this new mechanic, but getting to trust him more and more, he came highly recommended and saw his work restoring older bikes
will prolly be a few months before I put another 5k miles on the bike tho, will let you all know what happens then

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.