Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I just bought a 2006 Honda Shadow spirit today, my first bike. I'm picking it up this weekend using my truck. I drive a ford ranger. Is it alright to drive with the bike in the bed with the tailgate down? should i add a 5th strap around the back tire or something? And does anybody but their bikes in crooked? ive seen people do it with sport bikes so they can close their tail gates.

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
Should do fine . Might damage the gate, but if you strap the bike good it will do fine.

2 straps in front, around the risers or forks. i or 2 straps for the rear. All straps should secure to the bed FLOOR.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Get a pair of 2x8x8' boards. Nip about 1/2 the bottom edge off of the ground end. With scrap wood join them temporarily with cleats about 1 foot from each end to keep them together. Find a short wall to buy you some height (1-2' is ideal) and back the truck up to it. Roll the bike on but be sure to have a friend help since the board may act up. The bike may bottom out but you can force it on with two people.

Go online and buy aluminum ramp ends for the boards ( Werner Straight Ramp Top Kit available from Home Depot $27) for safe one man loading in the future. You will need them again. Once you have the ends, take off the cleats and you have a universal ramp.

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Might be a good idea to rent a motor cycle trailer from uhaul. The 2 x 8 trick is not easy as the wood will sag or cup and you will have nothing to walk on as you stand beside the bike. If the wood gets wet, your screwed too.
Good luck.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Hey I just bought a 2006 Honda Shadow spirit today, my first bike. I'm picking it up this weekend using my truck. I drive a ford ranger. Is it alright to drive with the bike in the bed with the tailgate down? should i add a 5th strap around the back tire or something? And does anybody but their bikes in crooked? ive seen people do it with sport bikes so they can close their tail gates.
Measure the length of your ride from front tire to rear tire, center. Pick up a 2x6 a few inches longer than that length. Put it in the back of your truck, and plan to center the bike on that board. If you have an easy way to get the bike from the ground up to the truck, no problem... like backing up to a hill and riding it on. Otherwise, with a ramp or whatever, you'll be relying on the strength of your tailgate hinges - which I'd be real leery of doing with a Ranger - not the toughest truck built. At any rate, that board will run most of the length of the bed and probably out onto the tailgate, but will give enough support over the tailgate that between its strength and the tailgate hinges, should be OK. Make sure you've got the front tied down good to the bed, and the rear you can probably tie off to both the bumper on either side and someplace mid-point to keep it from wanting to move rearward when you accelerate on your trip home. Good luck :)

This technique is how I loaded my '78 CB into a handicap van, using its lift which was way shorter than the bike. That board will even out the load over an area that isn't rated for that much load. If you have a hill you can back up to, I'd recommend backing the bike on... that way the most weight, the rear, is on solid ground.

·
Registered
3,476 Posts
I load bikes in my ranger on a regular basis. Often only two straps on the front. Tail gate down.

You can add a couple for the rear, but I find if your front straps fail your buggered anyway.

·
Registered
164 Posts
My 88 1100 fits just fine in the back of my wife's Ranger w/tailgate down. The contact patch of back tire just fits in the bed, so no weight on the tailgate.

2 straps on the front is all you need if you bottom out the forks.

A neat loading trick is to get yourself a milk crate. Turn it upside down and put it about halfway between the end of the ramp and the tailgate. Start the bike, put it in first, and walk it up the ramp using the crate as a step. When the back tire hits the tailgate, pull in the clutch and hit the kill switch.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Should do fine . Might damage the gate, but if you strap the bike good it will do fine.

2 straps in front, around the risers or forks. i or 2 straps for the rear. All straps should secure to the bed FLOOR.
What are the risers? I read online that i should compress the forks by tieing down my handlebars to the bed...

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
is there a reason you don't want to ride the bike home?
Because ive been riding since breakfast, no but really i just took the MSF course and thats the only experience i have riding and the bike is in NC about an hour from me in VA. Im planning on doing a lot of parking lot riding and driving on the back roads where i live at before riding with cars.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
OK, that's good that you want to learn your bike and your own skills before taking on a highway ride on a new machine. Just be real careful loading it in the truck and make sure it is secured well. I would stop after 10 miles or so and readjust/tighten the tie downs. Be safe and enjoy your new 06 Spirit. They are great bikes.

Ron

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
i just took the MSF course and thats the only experience i have riding
Don’t try to load and unload your new bike by yourself. You could do some expensive damage to the bike and yourself.

Find someone with experience hauling motorcycles to go with you to load the bike.

You could buy or rent a trailer. The damage you save could go a long way toward paying for the trailer.

Another option is to ask someone you know and trust to ride the bike home for you.

Good luck and enjoy your new ride.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Don't worry about the tailgate being down, that's OK. The only obstacle is making sure the truck is low enough, and ramp is long enough, so the bottom of the bike doesn't get hung up on the tailgate half way up, and then you drop it . I'd put at least four straps on, and have someone compress the forks while you get your straps situated evenly on the forks. The bike will hold up on it's own then,so it's easy to put a couple more on the rear shocks for extra safety.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
After reading all the posts I agree with the U-Haul approach. They only cost about $18/day or the small standards are about $24. Also the tongue weight and gross will be way below the rating for your stock bumper (200# tongue and 2K gross). The hard part is getting/returning the trailer.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Personally, I would ride the bike home. Next option would be u-haul trailer. MC trailer is only $25 a day. IF ya don't have a hitch rent their box van with the ramp. Thnk it's like $40 a day.
I use soft tie's around the frame to tie my bikes down. I compress the shocks half way. I don't bottom them out.
Harbor freight has a cheap wheel chock that you can lag into a wood deck. If you had to drill into a steel deck, well, uhaul might frown on that.
You took the msf course that is supposed to mean you are confident to ride a motorcycle. Go for it, trust your training.

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
What are the risers? I read online that i should compress the forks by tieing down my handlebars to the bed...
Don't tie to the handlebars, they will get bent. The risers are the clamps holding the handlebars. The safest place to tie off is the fork tubes, right above the lower tree clamps. Yes you want to compress the forks. In fact the front starps will be doing 99% of the work, others are just insurance. Front straps should be placed as low as possible and pul the bike forward, rear strap should go to the lowest point possible and pull rearward.

I also recommend a helper and a rental/barrowed trailer. I also recomend riding the bike Home. Nothing like a road trip to learn about your bike. Riding in a parking lot teaches you to ride, in a parking lot.

·
Registered
497 Posts
do you have a friend that has a small trailer ,,,ask to use it or ask him to go with you and haul it back and pay for his time and gas or go the u-haul way ,,,,this is the best way being you have not hauled a bike before in the back of a truck bed..

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.