Honda Shadow Forums banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1995 VT1100C2
4,635 Posts
$1k is quite inexpensive if it can run. I would speak with co-worker before doing anything else. With that much oil in the air filter housing, it is likely your plugs have fouled so you will need to remove and clean them. You may also need a new air filter. However you should address the battery first because it sounds like you are missing a bolt, I would use a car battery for now if you can.
Drain the oil and replace.
Pull the plugs and clean
Connect a car battery

·
Registered
769 Posts
If you received money back and it cost a grand, that is more than fair. If it's never been dropped, that means no parts to buy. If it comes down to 2 injectors, there is that "I bought it knowing 'as is' and I took the chance I'm going to have to put in whatever it take$." Of course you could have bought a turn key bike and rode off happily ever after. Flip it wise, you made out, don't worry, the PO is off the hook, IMO.

I've heard horror stories about jump starting bikes. You'll probably need a charger for the battery once winter kicks in. You are not trying to start it, you are trying to diagnose it. That spray at the injectors is the 2nd look see. The first thing to see is if the battery is salvageable with the purchase of a smart charger.

Part list:
1. New air cleaner.
2. 4 new sparkplugs.
3. Oil filter.
4. 4qts of oil.
5. Battery charger.
6. Battery (only the smart charger's red light knows for sure)
7. One dry paper towel.

I didn't add injector cleaner. Thought a little more about it. If that paper towel finds the leak, I'd replace it. Then you wouldn't have to worry about the crankcase filling. Figured it leaked when the PO had it, and that was running before he parked it?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
$1k is quite inexpensive if it can run. I would speak with co-worker before doing anything else. With that much oil in the air filter housing, it is likely your plugs have fouled so you will need to remove and clean them. You may also need a new air filter. However you should address the battery first because it sounds like you are missing a bolt, I would use a car battery for now if you can.
Drain the oil and replace.
Pull the plugs and clean
Connect a car battery
Awesome, thanks. That was really my main concern was getting fleeced. I'll be squaring away these suggestions along with BENTONES.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
If you received money back and it cost a grand, that is more than fair. If it's never been dropped, that means no parts to buy. If it comes down to 2 injectors, there is that "I bought it knowing 'as is' and I took the chance I'm going to have to put in whatever it take$." Of course you could have bought a turn key bike and rode off happily ever after. Flip it wise, you made out, don't worry, the PO is off the hook, IMO.

I've heard horror stories about jump starting bikes. You'll probably need a charger for the battery once winter kicks in. You are not trying to start it, you are trying to diagnose it. That spray at the injectors is the 2nd look see. The first thing to see is if the battery is salvageable with the purchase of a smart charger.

Part list:
1. New air cleaner.
2. 4 new sparkplugs.
3. Oil filter.
4. 4qts of oil.
5. Battery charger.
6. Battery (only the smart charger's red light knows for sure)
7. One dry paper towel.

I didn't add injector cleaner. Thought a little more about it. If that paper towel finds the leak, I'd replace it. Then you wouldn't have to worry about the crankcase filling. Figured it leaked when the PO had it, and that was running before he parked it?
Awesome. As I mentioned to gdb, I was as much concerned over paying too much for what i got as i was the issue. Granted, it has been dropped but as far as I can tell it's just cosmetic and on areas id be replacing down the line anyway.

I'll tackle these things and let you know where I end up.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts