Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I remember the old British manuals from the sixties. Elaborate hand drawn illustrations in great detail and descriptions which went into great detail. Being an American I couldn't understand some of it. Those folks used some peculiar terms and phrases.
I got a third party manual for my 79 Wing and wasn't really satisfied. Bought a factory manual and was sorely disappointed. Scant information and poor illustrations.
Who makes the best manual for our Shadows?

·
Premium Member
7,678 Posts
I remember the old British manuals from the sixties. Elaborate hand drawn illustrations in great detail and descriptions which went into great detail. Being an American I couldn't understand some of it. Those folks used some peculiar terms and phrases.
I got a third party manual for my 79 Wing and wasn't really satisfied. Bought a factory manual and was sorely disappointed. Scant information and poor illustrations.
Honda

·
Registered
808 Posts
I have a Honda manual plus a Clymer - between the two, it makes one decent manual :-D

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts
From my experience the factory service manual is the best option with cars, bike and vintage stereo gear. More thorough but it will have you jumping from one section to another. To ease the pain some like the CD version if available and they will print out the specific pages they need and take the copies out to bike garage to perform the repair job. Greasy and dirty hands can mess up a new paper manual, but you can always print a clean copy from the CD that you own.

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
You might try Cyclepedia. They have online manuals (yearly subscription) and most are sold outright in print version. They don't have manuals for every Shadow though. Screen shots below. Taken from the pages for a 750, here.

·
Registered
1999 VT1100C2 A. C. E.
9,238 Posts
Bought a factory manual and was sorely disappointed. Scant information and poor illustrations.
Did you get Honda's Common Service Manual as well?

It includes many Honda-standard procedures that are not model-specific. It just might have the "missing" pieces that disappointed you.

There's a link to a pdf version on this site somewhere.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Manuals

I could not find anything about the choke settings in the Honda manual for my 2002 VT1100C but the Clymer manual gave detailed instructions on how to measure the choke (starter enrichment valves) plungers depths and how to adjust the cable to achieve correct setting. The color-coded wiring diagrams in the Clymer manuals are a plus.

The Honda manual generally assumes the user already knows and understands how to do certain maintenance, etc. whereas the Clymer sort of "walks you through it".

·
Registered
1999 VT1100C2 A. C. E.
9,238 Posts
The Honda manual generally assumes the user already knows and understands how to do certain maintenance...
No. The model-specific Honda Service Manuals are written with the assumption that the mechanic using them has access to Honda's Common Service Manual as a supplement to any training he/she did not receive/acquire. They are the service manuals you will find in the service section of any official Honda dealer. Yes, they don't come with "training wheels" included. Nor anything close to the number of errors typical in Clymer and Haynes.

·
Registered
5,352 Posts
If you have already bought the Clymer and the honda manuals you might as well buy the Haynes.. I have found that all three have strengths and weaknesses but having all three can be quite helpful, I still take photo's and make notes..

John.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I bought the Haynes and factory manuals. The Haynes tries to cover to many shadow models so it has many pics and info that aren't applicable to my bike. The factory one is very specific for my Spirit VT750DC model and has better pics than Haynes. I got it used for $30 off of Ebay.

·
Registered
11,471 Posts
I could not find anything about the choke settings in the Honda manual for my 2002 VT1100C but the Clymer manual gave detailed instructions on how to measure the choke (starter enrichment valves) plungers depths and how to adjust the cable to achieve correct setting. The color-coded wiring diagrams in the Clymer manuals are a plus.

The Honda manual generally assumes the user already knows and understands how to do certain maintenance, etc. whereas the Clymer sort of "walks you through it".
The choke information is in section 3, page 6 in the Honda Sabre manual so I would bet it's the same place in the Spirit manual.

·
Registered
220 Posts
The choke information is in section 3, page 6 in the Honda Sabre manual so I would bet it's the same place in the Spirit manual.
Yes, you are correct. I had only looked in Section 5 Fuel System. Section 3 in the Honda Shop Manual is the Troubleshooting Section but FEV info is there.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts