Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here I am again;) The Bike began having starting difficulties yesterday, again. Ride fine for 30 minutes, stop, required about 4 attempts to start. Happened after another 30 minute ride. This morning, I put about 1 oz of seafoam in the gas tank. It sat for around 3 hours, and then the bike wouldn't start at all. I could smell gas - although I'm not using any enricher or throttle. I turn the set idle screw back so far it isn't applying any throttle at all - and only then am I able to get it started... but only by listening for the turnover, and then giving it throttle. I've gotten it started about a half dozen times again since then, but only with the same method. Carbs were cleaned synced around 2500 miles ago (in April). While running, I shut off the fuel switch and watched the fuel pump suck the fuel filter down to about 1/2 way, turned it back on and watched if fill back up. Any ideas on what to start digging into to try and get this thing figured out? Oh - plugs are darker than light brown, but not black (all four of them)

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Once started it stays running. Just took it for a 20 minute ride. At around 60 mph it started to stutter - thought I was going to loose power. Not much response. Also, regardless of speed, when the throttle is open 1/2 way or more, the same stuttering.

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
Could be the fuel pump or fuel pump relay, never had problems with spit and sputter but it would just die, wait 5 minutes or so and it would start, if it sit for a week or so and I tried to start it, then no go for start after start, finally got it in to the dealer and had the fuel pump replaced and now it starts everytime warm or winter cold and no more stopping while riding..........hope that helps.........

·
Registered
11,212 Posts
Once started it stays running. Just took it for a 20 minute ride. At around 60 mph it started to stutter - thought I was going to loose power. Not much response. Also, regardless of speed, when the throttle is open 1/2 way or more, the same stuttering.

Replace the fuel filter.

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
Check BATTERY and check the fuel filter. I'll bet you have a weak battery. Check to make sure the chokes are NOT sticking open. The throttle and idle screw control AIR flow, NOT fuel. Do you have good spark, on all 4 plugs?

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
vt750. I changed the fuel filter - the old one was full of junk. Bike is starting now on the 2nd or 3rd attempt, and is doing better with half throttle - although not perfect. I'm tempted to pull the carbs again - or just run another tank of gas through and see how it does. I don't think it's the battery, I keep it on a tender and it's less than a year old. Plus at no point has the starting sounded like it is running down the battery. I'm curious about the airflow - would blocked air or too much be causing my starting problems - especially seeing that it really doesn't ever cause the bike to shut down once it's running.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.