Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, quick question:

'88 vlx 600 - hole saw mod.

Cleaned the carbs, I had a float level issue that I think I've got fixed now. I'm trying to set the air\fuel mixture, and I'm following the manual. I've got an inductive tachometer to help me out. The a/f screw on the right side carb is right behind the air box.

Do I need to take the box off, turn the screw 1/2 a turn, put the box back on, restart and check the rpms, shut down, take off box, adjust screw, rinse and repeat?

Is there an easier way? I don't think I can run it without the air box can I?

Any help is appreciated.

·
Premium Member
7,687 Posts
Not sure about your particular bike, but there has to be a way of adjusting it while it's running. You have to be able to see the change in rpms when setting your a/f screws. 2 1/2 turns out is a good place to start generally. And no, the airbox should be on.

·
Premium Member
11,278 Posts
Won't you need to adjust the a/f screws on both carbs?

edited,,, maybe in re reading your post I see you know this. maybe

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I always end up leaving something out and making my posts way more confusing than they should be.

The left carb a\f screw if very easy to access. It's the right side I'm worried about. The airbox when attached completely covers the screw. I might be able to flip it around so it is still attached to the air hose going to the bike, but I'll need a second person to hold it in place. I just figured this is something that is done fairly routinely so there should be an easy way to get the the right carb a/f screw, I'm just not seeing it.

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
17,456 Posts
If you are having trouble adjusting the mixture screws because of the air cleaner in the way, you could just take it off and go ahead and adjust both carbs as close as possible, and when the air cleaner is back on it should still be very close. If the air filters are clean and offer minimum resistance the mixture should be very close and still balanced. If they are very slightly richer it won't be a problem. Of course the engine should be fully warmed up.
Maybe this will help.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks!

I'll be sure to reply when I've done it so someone can see if that works.

FYI I think I have the floats adjusted wrong, too rich of a mixture at 1/2 throttle for sure. So out comes the carbs again... HURRAY!!!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So I was able to set idle a\f mixture on both carbs with the airbox off. The inductive tach worked really well. I have another issue though, which will need its own thread.

Thanks for the feedback!

·
Registered
11,525 Posts
So I was able to set idle a\f mixture on both carbs with the airbox off. The inductive tach worked really well. I have another issue though, which will need its own thread.

Thanks for the feedback!
You should have the airbox and filter in place to adjust the A?F screws.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry I meant the air filter & air filter housing, not the airbox.

The problem with my bike is the factory air filter housing sits right in front of the right carb a/f screw. It's impossible to get to the screw with the air filter on the bike.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts