Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally found out why my 83 shadow wasn't running. The gas tank was beyond rusted and clogged. I didn't see it for myself but my mechanic told me it was really, really bad. Should I bother with repairing it or should I just buy a new one?

·
Premium Member
6,977 Posts
Depends on whether another tank is readily available that is better than what you have, how much you wanna spend (if someone else is repairing), how handy you are (if doing the work yourself), etc. I did the same project on an old magna for my son. If the main tank is cruddy, the reserve is probably the same and needs to be removed to clean and/or reseal.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Had interior rust problem on a HD Super Glide gas tank many moons ago. Googled for the product I used (KREEM) and it is explained very well on how to prep the tank and coat it. I remember it looked off white when applied and turned light brown in a couple months. You may wish to look at the following: How to use the KREEM Gas Tank Sealer Kit | eBay It certainly did a good job and I was very pleased for years. Good luck.

·
Registered
5,453 Posts

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Gas Tank RENU - USA

Had them treat an old car tank that couldn't be replaced easily. End result was very good. If they're in your area and you can't get a replacement tank, I'd recommend them.

Speaking of, where are you?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Also if you fill the tank with vinegar and let it set for a day or two you can get much of the rust out then the rest will come loose with electrolysis. Tank cleaning is a long process but well worth the effort...not to mention it is a cool experiment ;)

·
Registered
52 Posts
I did the vinegar and electrolysis on my 76 Wing tank.
I would start with removing the tank, filling it 1/3 of the way with vinegar, add a few ball bearings, nuts or small bolts and gently shake the heck out of it..
That should knock all the loose rust off.
Then follow that with the electrolysis.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If your tank has not rusted through the link blow is for an outstanding product.

POR-15 Paint And Coatings From ARP POR-15 Motorcycle Fuel Tank Repair Kit
The outside is in ok condition with 0 rust on it. It just has bad paint.

Depends on whether another tank is readily available that is better than what you have, how much you wanna spend (if someone else is repairing), how handy you are (if doing the work yourself), etc. I did the same project on an old magna for my son. If the main tank is cruddy, the reserve is probably the same and needs to be removed to clean and/or reseal.
Gas Tank RENU - USA

Is removing the reserve hard? I had this bike torn down a few times but I've never had to cut into it.

Had them treat an old car tank that couldn't be replaced easily. End result was very good. If they're in your area and you can't get a replacement tank, I'd recommend them.

Speaking of, where are you?
I am in New Jersey. I found a few shops but I would have to ship my tank to them.

I kind of just don't want to chance it and buy anther tank but I fear that the next tank may be rusted out somewhat.

·
Premium Member
6,977 Posts
Go on Youtube and check it out. There are several methods of doing the job and you may find one you're able to handle yourself. A lot of info here too if you search it out. Having someone else do the work might become cost prohibitive if it's too extensive. Even if your tank leaks, recoating/relining will resolve the issue most of the time unless it's really ugly. But then, you'd have to judge the condition of the tank you're starting with.

·
Registered
12,354 Posts
Here is an alternative to the vinegar method I saw on a craft site=

Removing Rust from Found Objects without Scrubbing | Hawk Hill

I had heard of some guys putting a cleaner in the tank and some metal nuts on a wire, and wrapping a towel around it tight and then putting it in the dryer for some minutes.
Probably best to do it when the wife is gone. LOL

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So far, the electrolytic method seems the most promising. I would hope that it would get all the rust because I was reading that it may not get all the rust on the sides. Someone used Muriatic Acid which did an amazing job but I wouldn't want to get that on my skin. I'm not sure if there is any aluminum bits in the tank since the acid would destroy it. I was looking on ebay and it seems that $200 is a lot for a tank in mediocre conduction.

·
Premium Member
8,072 Posts
Keep a water hose around if you use Muriatic Acid. I was around it a couple of summers working for a Brick Mason. It was great to clean the motor mixer. dissolved the Portland Cement real good, only had to wash out the sand from the mixer. Not real damaging to my skin washed it off in a couple of minutes and everything was ok.

·
Registered
725 Posts
I used naval jelly to clean the rust out of the tank. Simply poured it in, filled rest of tank with water, sealed it, and let sit for 24-30 hours. It did a great job. Acid isn't super dangerous. Keep hose to dilute it if needed ly XXX said but also keep baking soda on hand to neutralize it wherever it lands.

·
Registered
324 Posts
for what its worth I used the product Kreem in my wife's 1982 Yamaha back in 2003 and still have the bike and the product has held up from Virginia (03 to 2011) cold to Arizona heat where we have been the last 4 years. and like anything follow the directions.

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
I had an 82 Yamaha that had about 100 pin holes in the tank. I cleaned it and then used a interior coating. Within a month the tank was leaking again. I started looking for a replacement. This took me a year to find one in almost as bad of shape. I took it to a local auto gas tank and rad service shop. They cut some holes in it, sand blasted the inside, welded up the holes and sprayed it with a coating they use, I needed to do some body work to hide two welds, but the rest were on the bottom. That ended up costing $250, but since I couldn't find a good tank, it was worth it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
My son used a product called Redkote to seal the bottom of a honda a few years ago. he used gravel and a piece of chain to knock the scale loose. Then he poured in the redkote and rocked it around so the bottom was covered and a bit up the sides. Worked great. I did the same with a 36 gallon bed mounted reserve diesel tank in my truck. It had a baffle in the middle so I used chains on wires and pivoted on a log midway. Fortunately it had two openings. I had to use a lot more redkote than my son did but it worked great and is not that expensive.

Bear in mind that the rust is going to be on the bottom because that is where the water collects as it is heavier than gas.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
I cleaned my completely rusted out tank with pool acid mixed with water. Also shook around a lot of old bolts around in there too. You do have to flush out good with water after ,dry out, and get gas back in there to stop the rusting again, it happens overnight.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts