Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone drilled out the baffles on an 1100 Shadow? I also have a K&N filter...will I lose too much back pressure by doing the baffles? Or should I be ok without any other kind of upgrade? I also heard of using a eye bolt in the exhaust pipe to create a little back pressure if it does get too bad.

·
Registered
‘00 Valkyrie Interstate, ‘01 Spirit 1100, 99 VLX
1,341 Posts
I did the holesaw mod to my 1100 Spirit, and the end results SUCKED!!!

It still sounded like a sewing machine motor, but without the baffles it sounded like a sewing machine motor through a paper towel tube. Unfortunately, by the time I was finished and heard the results, my stock pipes were trashed. You really can't compare the 1100 Spirit to other Shadows, 'cuz of the dual pin configuration, different displacements, and firing sequence timing.

If you don't like the stock sound, save your time and knuckles and get some good aftermarket pipes. And keep your stock exhaust in case you ever sell your bike and the buyer wants a quiet ride.

Just my $.02

CB

·
Registered
138 Posts
If by baffles, you mean the actual baffles in front of the resonator, then yes, I have. Not to an 1100, but to a 750. It makes removing the resonators MUCH more satisfying if you drill the baffles too.

I used an 18" extension and a Unibit for doing this. It worked good. :)

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Where I work I have access to very long drill bits. I took a 3/4" bit on a 3 foot shank and drilled through all 3 baffles (per pipe) on a co-workers Sabre. To look at the pipes, you'd think they were stock, but they sounded GREAT. The price was right, too.

A buddy of mine sharpened the end of a piece of rebar and pounded out the baffles on his wife's VLX. Now it had a snarl that can't be beat. The toughest sounding VLX ever.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I went thru with it last night....actually I guess I just ended up drilling out the resonator at the end of each pipe(didnt realize there were separate pieces for the baffles as well) and I think it sounds awesome! I really wish I could afford new pipes but this will definitely do for now. The only thing now is how do I determine if I need to rejet? I think it still ran great and sounded great too. Sorry I just couldnt wait for responses...just a tad impatient I guess. Thanks

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
If you start getting alot of backfiring you will need to get a jet kit.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Whats considered alot? I mean my bike had a little popping on decel before i took them out now it does a little more but Id still say its not on every combustion or anything. I will talk to some bikers around here and see what they say. Thanks

·
Registered
138 Posts
You will know it ... it will stumble and buck a little when you start rolling into the throttle at low rpms. With just the resonator's gone, I wouldn't think you would need to do anything.

·
Registered
138 Posts
blackmarocraig said:
I really wish I could afford new pipes but this will definitely do for now.
I'm right there with you on that one! A bit extension was a LOT cheaper (20 bucks) than a set of pipes.

If you look in the end of the pipe now, you will see a pipe sticking through a plate. If you can picture a cut away of a turbo muffler with the baffling, it's the same principle. The inlet pipeis in the big blank spot on that plate, stopping an inch or 3 before the plate. The outlet pipe (the one you can see) goes back up towards the front of the baffled chamber. That's where a lot of the sound cancelling is done.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 07 Sabre, I did the holesaw mod, it was ok, and probably fine for some. There really wasn't anything wrong with the sound, it just wasn't the low deep tone I was looking for. An for better lack of terms, it kinda sounded like the exhaust was coming out of a coffee can when excellerating. I did adjust the carbs to 3.5 turns out from seated and it took away all the popping out the exhaust on decel. So since I it still wasn't the sound I was looking for, I stepped up and bought V&H Longshots for it. Also a dynojet kit. Installed last night and I must say, I couldn't be happier. It's loud yes, but it sounds mean. Drivability is awesome and a definate addition to power and also seems to be a little mileage. I will post more, going on a trip to the beach right now.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I did the holesaw mod to my 1100 Spirit, and the end results SUCKED!!!

It still sounded like a sewing machine motor, but without the baffles it sounded like a sewing machine motor through a paper towel tube. Unfortunately, by the time I was finished and heard the results, my stock pipes were trashed. You really can't compare the 1100 Spirit to other Shadows, 'cuz of the dual pin configuration, different displacements, and firing sequence timing.

If you don't like the stock sound, save your time and knuckles and get some good aftermarket pipes. And keep your stock exhaust in case you ever sell your bike and the buyer wants a quiet ride.

Just my $.02

CB
Wish I had read this before I did mine. I read more ups than downs on drilling before I decided to try it. Big mistake. I can't stand the way it sounds now. I didn't drill out the baffles but I did drill through back plate on first one and then with a longer drill , I did two half inch holes side by side to make one bigger hole in second baffle. You can't see it unless you look inside down muffler with a flash light. I hate that I did that to my stock pipes. I did all this after researching it. Sounds worse now, louder but not a deep good sound more like a glorified sewing machine sound. I even tried to block off the crossover tube using washer with bolt through it that I read about here. Pain in the rear to get same results. Didn't change a thing. I trash factory pipes and can't afford to buy aftermarket. They still looked un touched but when I fire it up and ride. Its embarrassing. The way it sounds now I don't like riding it. Loud sewing machine. Been working on it all day. I am going to see if someone can weld up the second set of holes but I dont see it happening. Its in there about 8" and trying to weld that would be too hard I think . I'm so disappointed . A waste of time and muffler. people I know are LOL at it

1 - 16 of 16 Posts