Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Browsing thru CL in the motorcycles for sale sec Shadows... I kept seeing identical year/milage Shadows all things same cept the 750s were asking the same if not more than the 1100 models. Coincidence or is the 750 a more "popular/beginer model" I just thought it was odd. Anyone have a opinion/explanation ? Ok 2 part question while Im at it....Is there anyone out there that has possed or rode both 750 and 1100, is there a big diffrence in power or performance handling. Had been thinking of trading/selling my 750 for a 1100 but my 750 rides great and unless the 1100 is freakin awsome out the hole I dont want to risk trading a bike I know is great all around for one that may have problems or then again it may just FN ROCK. Hell I need some feedback Guys.....

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
I started out on an 09 750 Areo, I got a good deal on it was a couple of years old with 3000 miles on it, had it for a year, never had a power issue, but being 6'1 I felt cramped for leg room on longer trips, one day I saw an add for 06 Sabre at dealership, gave it a couple of days , decided to go check it out, took it for test ride and fell in love with the bike, it just fit me better, and the extra power was a bonus, I basically trade my bike for the sabre, mileage at that time was about the same as both had around 12000 miles, I have never been sorry for getting the Sabre, she is just shy of having 50000 miles on her now, and still runs strong.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Soooo...

That means either the 1100s are going for great prices or they're overpricing the 750s.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
After sitting on a Sabre at the dealer, I sat on the more economical Aero. The 750 was just physically too small for me.

In the end I was not even satisfied with the power of the Sabre. My commute is 80 miles and many like to push 80MPH when going through the valley, and the Sabre would do it just fine, but it was a bit of an effort. It only took a few times of not being able to jump into a hole and nearly getting run over to start looking for something more nimble and able.

The 750's are around 36HP? I could imagine that at being close to some older 350's I ran, but on a bigger platform? On the flip side, I see folks running scooters full open on the freeway. I think that's nuts, especially around here with congested angry drivers.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I would also like to know the differences as I too see simular pricing in fact it looks like in my area the 750 holds more value than the 1100. I have no problems with my 2005 Aero that I bought last summer for 2850.00 with 3160 miles. Had nice windshield and after market grips and I was fortunate enough to find a great used Mustang seat for it. The 1100 would have to be a pretty major upgrade in power for me to let my little 750 go, I ride it to work 50 miles each way on the interstate fairly often and it cruises 75-80 mph easily with very little vibration gets great MPG and at 5 ft. 8 in. 165 lbs. fits me great. What say you 1100 owners?

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
I have never been on a 750, but from what I know they are only slightly more powerful than the 600 VLX I used to have. Most of them had the advantage of shaft drive (save for the older Spirits). When I jumped from the 600 to the 1100 Sabre it was night and day. I felt like I was riding a toy (an awesome zippy, kill yourself if you're not careful toy mind you) comparing the 600 to the Sabre.

I'm sure the 1100 doesn't offer the power MOST people want out a larger machine, but it was perfect for my 5'7" and 175 lb person. I wouldn't consider anything smaller mind you, considering I enjoy riding long distances during the warmer months.

·
Registered
11,518 Posts
When you look at used prices, you are looking at asking price. The selling price may be quite a bit different. Just because the 1100 hundred is out of production doesn't have any effect on used prices. The 2 Honda dealerships near me wish they still had the 1100's as they sold better then the 1300's have.

·
Registered
18,122 Posts
My 750 fits me and I am pleased with its performance...
I like the feel of the VTX my son John Boy bought too, but I like the 750 more...
I think this is the reason for these 750s being as expensive as the bigger ones...
This is just my $.02 worth ( for FREE )

·
Registered
57 Posts
When you look at used prices, you are looking at asking price. The selling price may be quite a bit different. Just because the 1100 hundred is out of production doesn't have any effect on used prices. The 2 Honda dealerships near me wish they still had the 1100's as they sold better then the 1300's have.
Well if that's correct then why can I buy same year, miles, etc. for same or less than the 750. Something here just doesn't make any sense.

·
Registered
11,518 Posts
Well if that's correct then why can I buy same year, miles, etc. for same or less than the 750. Something here just doesn't make any sense.
Because the 750's are overpriced. If you pay more for the same year 750 as an 1100, then you're not a smart buyer.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Demand. Some people don't want to venture past the 750cc range ( don't know why ) what I've been told, which makes the 750 more popular and more in demand.

·
Registered
18,122 Posts
Whenever I talk to anyone about buying used anything, I`ll ask What will you take for it?

The asking price is usually higher than the final "will take" price...

How well do I like it???

It`s all in negotiating :D

·
Registered
18,122 Posts
When I bought my 750, I didn`t negotiate, the fella needed to replace his air conditioner, and I wanted the Bike...
This Bike fits me!

We agreed on a fair trade of $2,000 dollars...
I bought it with 40,000 on the clock, it now has 23,000 on the clock :D
That`s my story and I`m sticking with it...

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Demand. Some people don't want to venture past the 750cc range ( don't know why ) what I've been told, which makes the 750 more popular and more in demand.
This, sort of. I never thought my 750 was too small for me, even when i was closing in on 350 lbs or my ex wife was riding with me totaling almost 550lbs.

Now that i have a 1300, i just enjoy the extra power all the more.

That said, ive remarked that they 'changed' the formula for the 750 Spirit from 06 to 07. I sat on an 07 when i sat on a Fury last year. The Fury for the first time felt comfortable, and the Spirit felt REALLY cramped. But my 01 never felt cramped till AFTER i was used to the Fury. Bottom line, the 07's must be a bit smaller and with the different bars, it makes it a worse fit overall for big guys height wise.

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
I think it may be due to the fact that the 750 is still in production while the 1100 has been replaced in the product lineup by the 1300. In the minds of many buyers that makes the 1100 "obsolete."

Anybody that can get the 1100 for the same or lower price than a comparable 750 would be well advised to do so. Having owned both a Harley Electra Glide and Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 since selling my 1100 Shadow Spirit in retrospect I think the Honda was the best of the cruiser bunch -- at least for my purposes. It was at least as fast as the others (not that it matters much when you are talking cruisers) but also a lot more agile because of its smaller dimensions and weight. At the same time it was comfortable enough for a trip to Alaska that involved about 150 miles of unpaved road -- which I would not have attempted with the other two bikes mentioned.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts