Honda Shadow Forums banner

Shadow Ace Deluxe 750

1K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  oldguy 
#1 ·
Hey Ya'll,

Tire Automotive tire Automotive lighting Vehicle Fuel tank

Still learning here, My 99 Shadow Ace 750 has issues engaging from Neutral down to 1ST. It clunks down like usual, then I give it throttle and its like im still in Neutral. Do I need a rebuild or am I just low on fluid?

See less See more
#2 ·
Which fluid would you be referring to? these are cable operated clutches
could be a lot of things, clutch lever adjustment would be the 1st thing to check. Is there any free play in the lever when released? Is the chain trying to move? Any strange noises and are they there with the lever in or out or both?

Reactions: "Captain D"
#4 ·
Cable could be stretched tight to where it can't engage. You have a coarse adjustment at the lower end right side and a fine adjustment at the lever. give it more free play and see.

Will the bike roll when in gear and not running? if not does pulling clutch lever allow it to roll? freely or somewhat stiff, hard to push?

I've seen everything from wrong oil, totally worn clutch disks to broken chains or sprockets worn so far there are no longer teeth, so just trying to get a better picture of what exactly is happening.

Reactions: CSRoad
#7 ·
Cable could be stretched tight to where it can't engage. You have a coarse adjustment at the lower end right side and a fine adjustment at the lever. give it more free play and see.

Will the bike roll when in gear and not running? if not does pulling clutch lever allow it to roll? freely or somewhat stiff, hard to push?

I've seen everything from wrong oil, totally worn clutch disks to broken chains or sprockets worn so far there are no longer teeth, so just trying to get a better picture of what exactly is happening.

When I release the clutch all the way it doesn't stall out and slowly moves like I'm in the friction zone

#8 ·
Is there at least 1/2 to 3/4 inch free play at the end of the clutch lever?
Maybe the wrong oil is in it to cause the wet clutch to slip?
If you put that new kit in did you soak the new discs a while?

Reactions: "Captain D"
#9 ·
Who changed oil Last???
Mightta used oil with friction modifiers???
That`ll cause one to act like that...
Clutch adjustment too...
Bring it over we`ll look at it,
Dennis

#10 ·
Still coming back to the 10" bars, clutch cable could just be stretched too tight. Mark where the lever at the lower end is, then unhook the cable at the top, see where the lower lever free play stops and you start feeling tension, If it's pulled to or past the free play point with the cable hooked up, your cable is too short.

#11 ·
Another thought is to check the clutch lever free play with the bars turned both directions, see if it changes, another indicator you need a longer clutch cable,

And what about the throttle cables? are they long enough? no motor rev moving bars fully left and right?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.