Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!

new to the forum and first time poster.

this bike was running a few months ago and I took off the tank and fenders for a much needed paint job. paint is done now and I put everything back on the bike, but when I start the bike it only runs for a few seconds. the vacuum line on the petcock is attached and also the one on the tank. I can't think what else it could be.

any helpful suggestions would be appreciated.

· Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
20,337 Posts
Loosen the carb bowl drain screws to see if 1 or 2 ounces of fuel runs out- If not there is a lack of fuel delivery.

Reactions: CSRoad

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks.. it makes no difference whether I have the fuel cap on or not. also, spraying the carb with starter fluid doesn't seem to help, but I will check fuel delivery. i.e. does fuel flow from the tank when I attempt to start.

· Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
20,337 Posts
Do you have a way to SEE the spark operation?
An old timing light or one of these cheap spark testers will help see if the spark is going away when it dies out.
And See if you have charging voltage up to 13-14 volts. A dead charging system can let the battery go low and the spark fades away.

· Registered
138 Posts
Hi!
if all those advices fails, and still dosnt run as must be, i will check the pick-up coils.
Probably, is just a fail in some wire from the pick-ups, or even a fail on the wires from coils and sparks unit CDI.
hope you can solve the problem.

Greetings from Spain!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts