Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was the victim of a hit and run last week. Fortunately I had full gear on and except for a fractured wrist and some road rash, am ok. The good news is that Progressive is giving me $4000 for my 07 Shadow VLX and I can get a used bigger bike.

I know this is a Shadow forum so owners will undoubtedly lean towards a new Shadow, but anyone have experience with the other non-Harley cruisers that could be good for about $5,000?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
246 Posts
Glad you survived.

You should be able to find a decent VStar 1300 for around that price. EFI, Belt-Drive, Disc brakes Front/rear.

·
Registered
83 Posts
My friend's father owns a V-Star, he loves it. It was a 2005 1100 he bought a few years back for around $4500-5000. I haven't ridden it, but it had a great seat and body position.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
A friend of mine bought a 2007 Boulevard C50T. I rode it home for him about 80 miles on the interstate and I liked it. Fuel injected 805cc engine and it had a lot of get up and go. Even cruising at 75 if I twisted the throttle it put me back in the seat a bit. Went from 75 to 90 quickly. Seating position was pretty comfortable. The T is the touring model that comes with factory bags and windshield. He only paid 4600 for it and it only had about 4k on the odometer.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I'm riding a VStar 1100 right now - it's a hella good bike - decent power, really comfortable (with a mustang seat), a nice size/weight, sounds badass w/ the single pin air cooled motor and drag pipes. Really well built and fit/finish. Style ranges all over the map from blingy cruiser to street drag style depending on how it's set up. It's a good bit larger physically than a shadow. those run 3-4 grand - lot of them and they sell cheaper than they should, so an excellent value proposition. The 1300's are real nice too - that's a bigger bike, and more $$.

If I had 4 grand to buy a bike though, I'd be looking around for a VTX 1300....Shadow's big brother, great aftermarket, super easy to ride, good looks, and cheap....at the $5K mark, you can get a newer one that's fuel injected and low miles with lots of toys already installed.

·
Registered
16,794 Posts
I just got word that my buddy "Big Dawg" has to give up his 1100 V-Star, If you`re interested I can relay phone numbers for you...

Merry Christmas,
Ann & Dennis

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
If I had 4 grand to buy a bike though, I'd be looking around for a VTX 1300....Shadow's big brother, great aftermarket, super easy to ride, good looks, and cheap....at the $5K mark, you can get a newer one that's fuel injected and low miles with lots of toys already installed.
You sure about that? When I was looking for a replacement for the H-D I thought I researched all makes and models pretty carefully and found that only the VTX1800 was injected, the 1300 still with carburetors.

Anyway, I settled on a Vulcan 1600 'cause it ticked most of the boxes for me -- liquid cooled, fuel-injected, shaft drive and hydraulic valves. And cheap. Carburetors are OK, but air-cooled is not and belt drive a bad idea IMHO. As for valve adjustments -- UGH! If I never pull another valve cover I'll die a happy man.;-)

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
i have an 06 vstar 1100 and love it. I also love the vtx 1300 but when i was shopping the vstar was a good deal so i went with it.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Just a note that the v star 1100's have a weak point in the drive shaft. My father in law has one and his broke last year at about 37,000 easy miles. Dealer wanted around $2,000 to fix it. We did some research and he fixed it himself and so far it is great. Other than that it has been a great bike.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
On the VTX the 1800 is FI and the 1300 is carved, It seemed that Honda was the last to jump on the FI bandwagon but even a carbed bike is great.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
One friend rides a '03 VStar 1100 that we have ridden a bit. Like it. Very smooth shifting tranny.

Another friend had a 805cc Boulevard, which we also rode some. Nice bike but it has less power.

Recommend you look no smaller than 1100cc's of displacement.

We trudge on.

·
Registered
619 Posts
You really can't go wrong with any of the bikes you listed. I really like the VTX 1300, my brother has one and it is a nice bike. He may chime in on here later. My dad has a 1500 Intruder which is the older model of the Boulevard c90. It's a nice bike too.

Don't forget about Triumph. They have some good bikes for around $4000-$5000.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Mate has a C50 and he likes it, has issues with the drive shaft, Valves needed setting but not a simple job, It looks good.

Another has the VTX 1800 and he loves that, I would own one in a hart beat, never had an issue

I ride the VT1100C and VT750 love the 1100 even though its a 93 it fits me and handles very well once the progressive suspension was fitted, Its got more character than the new bikes... I was looking for a 1300 VTX but I am happy with what I got.

Personally I would stay away from belt drive as over here we have a lot of loose chip on the roads and I have had several friends not make it home due to belt failure and some limp home will stones punched through the belt.

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
Personally I would stay away from belt drive as over here we have a lot of loose chip on the roads and I have had several friends not make it home due to belt failure and some limp home will stones punched through the belt.
Precisely my objection to the belt drive. Not only stones, but there are surfacing materials used in some places that will coat the belt causing it to pick up grit and transform from it belt drive to belt sander.

·
Registered
165 Posts
you might talk to nieb15

nieb15 just bought a shadow for a $1. He might sell it to you for a good profit of $5. The other $3995 could go a long way toward fixin her up just how you like..........just a thought.............:smile::smile::smile:

·
Registered
16,794 Posts
I just got word that my buddy "Big Dawg" has to give up his 1100 V-Star, If you`re interested I can relay phone numbers for you...

Merry Christmas,
Ann & Dennis
<<<<<<<<<<<<< >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.

Yeah, Jimmy got word that he`ll be outta work for a spell on accountta 6 bad discs in his back, I sure hate that...

It has many extras, including the oil filter conversion, LEDs, Highway pegs and fresh set of tires and brakes...

He wants me to help post it on Craigslist, I dunno how-to...

·
Registered
520 Posts
Cant go wrong with a vtx shadow or vstar or any of them. When your take 5k a lot of nice big bikes come up. Some modded to no return other bone stock. Me shop for best all around price resale miles etc regardless of make. All bike have flaws anyways. Thats how I met yall nice people when I found my ace

1 - 20 of 30 Posts