Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After riding the new Phantom a little bit now, I've found that I can't see behind me very well in the mirrors, because they don't stick out far enough. That is, if there's a car 200 feet or so behind me, I can see it, but I can't see one that's 100 feet or less behind me (and I'm just guessing at the distances) - all I can see is me. I didn't have that problem with my old VLX, and I believe that's because the handlebars were wider, and the mirror mounts were longer, which pushed them outward, and allowed me to see around myself for a better view. The mounts on the Phantom are only about 2 inches long, and it looks like the VLX mounts were maybe 5 inches.

Has anyone else noticed this? Did you replace the mirrors, or do you just live with it? I'm leaning towards replacing them, especially since they're chrome - seems like Honda would've used black ones on the Phantom. I was riding in Waikiki once, and got rear-ended by a car at a red light, and being able to see that it was about to hit me allowed me to get both my feet down and brace myself, and I'd like to have that visibility now.

Comments?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Kevio, I have noticed this with my Phantom as well. Got it this June and have been annoyed by it everytime I ride. I'd like to change mine too because, like you said, you can't see anyone until they're real close :shock:

Only other things I don't like are the grips and pegs; would like to upgrade them as well. Suggestions anyone??

·
Registered
274 Posts
Phantom 31, you and the OP have opposite problems, I think.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
After looking at pretty much every mirror made, I finally settled on Bike Master Lined Oval Tubed Mirrors - hopefully they'll do the trick. Look like they stick out about 5 inches, so that should solve the problem. And while I was at it, I ordered a National Cycle Deflector Screen. My VLX had the deflector, and it made a huge difference, especially at highway speed.

Now all I need are saddlebags, the Cobra lightbar (any comments?) and maybe some pipes, and I'll be all set. :)

·
Registered
06' VT1100C/99' GL1500C Valkyrie
9,031 Posts
Kevio, I have noticed this with my Phantom as well. Got it this June and have been annoyed by it everytime I ride. I'd like to change mine too because, like you said, you can't see anyone until they're real close :shock:

Only other things I don't like are the grips and pegs; would like to upgrade them as well. Suggestions anyone??
Kuryakyn grips (though they do have some chrome) and Premium floorboards in black finish? These smallish floorboards are a God send over pegs. IMHO

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
Never have under stood why all bikes are nade with mirror only suitable for use by tiny Japanese rides. This goe for HD also.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Check out Aced It's "Road to Rod" Thread. He did some interesting stuff with his mirrors.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts